U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 AM

344 posts, read 660,674 times

Advertisements

Apologies if I have put this in the wrong forum, If I have could one of the moderators move to the proper forum please.

That said- My old laptop is nearing the end of its effective life. The screen doesn’t work anymore so I have to use an external monitor which means the laptop really isn’t a laptop anymore. The CD/DVD drive won’t open anymore and the fan is sometimes makes noises which worries me. So the time has come to seriously consider getting a new laptop.

What I would use the laptop for is some limited work (Microsoft word/excel) at home, internet surfing, streaming internet video (Amazon Prime/Netflix/Hulu), emails, personal writing, video calls and watching blu rays/dvds on the back porch. Maybe in the near future I might start editing some videos on it for fun.

The purchase won’t be made immediately, probably sometime in the next 3-6 months.

It has been suggested I look at Toshiba/Dell computers. Which suggestions does the peanut gallery have for what particular laptops I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 04:27 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
My preference is Dell, Lenovo or Asus. There are many other decent brands.
Check these sites on any given day and you will find many deals

You can go to that category directly and look just for laptops.

http://dealnews.com
http://bensbargains.net

Old 01-12-2016, 06:18 PM

1,080 posts, read 829,504 times
I like asus pref. they offer lifetime phone tech support unlike dell and many other brands

Old 01-12-2016, 10:12 PM

I would never buy another dell!! there customer service is horrible!! dell was great years ago but not anymore.

Last edited by ground_pounder; 01-12-2016 at 10:28 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
I would never buy another dell!! there customer service is horrible!! dell was great years ago but not anymore.
I've had the opposite experience but from a business standpoint. We have several of their servers and they are rock solid reliable and just seem to work forever.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:40 PM

809 posts, read 685,086 times
according to Consumer Reports Reliability ratings:

"Apple stands out as being more reliable than all other laptop brands. This conclusion is based on our failure rate estimates for three-year-old laptops, gathered from data on laptops purchased new between 2010 and 2015, by 58,710 subscribers. The chart shows our statistical model's estimated failure rates for laptops not covered by a service contract and adjusts for the number of hours of use per week. Differences of less than 4 points aren't meaningful. Models within a brand may vary, and design or manufacture changes may affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good reliability estimate can improve your odds of getting a dependable laptop."

Brand Repairs and Serious Problems
Laptop Computers brand repair key

Apple 10
Samsung 16
Gateway 16
Acer 18
Lenovo 18
HP 19
Toshiba 19
Dell 19
Asus 19

in order of reliability

Old 01-14-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I've had the opposite experience but from a business standpoint. We have several of their servers and they are rock solid reliable and just seem to work forever.
I had an xps 8700 and in a year I had 3 hard drives fail along with the motherboard. there customer service is outsourced and they can barley understand English. they say there systems are fully upgradeable that may be true but you can't upgrade the clock speed on the ram to a faster speed wich to me would be an upgrade later on. I had to fight with there desk jockeys to get my pc fixed while she told me to turn on the pc so that she could remotely access the pc and trouble shoot it while I was telling her that it wouldn't turn on!! I don't know what customer service is like on the business side of things weather there in America or some third world country now but I hear that there outsourced also. after this exp I would never buy another dell!! I found out that it's more cost effective to build a pc as you get a better warranty on the parts as well as lifetime support vs buying a box store PC

Old 01-14-2016, 03:11 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,719,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
according to Consumer Reports Reliability ratings:

"Apple stands out as being more reliable than all other laptop brands. This conclusion is based on our failure rate estimates for three-year-old laptops, gathered from data on laptops purchased new between 2010 and 2015, by 58,710 subscribers. The chart shows our statistical model's estimated failure rates for laptops not covered by a service contract and adjusts for the number of hours of use per week. Differences of less than 4 points aren't meaningful. Models within a brand may vary, and design or manufacture changes may affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good reliability estimate can improve your odds of getting a dependable laptop."

Brand Repairs and Serious Problems
Laptop Computers brand repair key

Apple 10
Samsung 16
Gateway 16
Acer 18
Lenovo 18
HP 19
Toshiba 19
Dell 19
Asus 19

in order of reliability
Consumer Reports needs to recognize the difference between HP and HP Elitebook and Lenovo and Lenovo Thinkpad. The difference is consumer vs business grade. Apple scores well because all of their laptops adhere to a business grade standard.

I've had both flavors of Lenovo, the ThinkPad series is much more robust.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
I had an xps 8700 and in a year I had 3 hard drives fail along with the motherboard. there customer service is outsourced and they can barley understand English. they say there systems are fully upgradeable that may be true but you can't upgrade the clock speed on the ram to a faster speed wich to me would be an upgrade later on. I had to fight with there desk jockeys to get my pc fixed while she told me to turn on the pc so that she could remotely access the pc and trouble shoot it while I was telling her that it wouldn't turn on!! I don't know what customer service is like on the business side of things weather there in America or some third world country now but I hear that there outsourced also. after this exp I would never buy another dell!! I found out that it's more cost effective to build a pc as you get a better warranty on the parts as well as lifetime support vs buying a box store PC
Yes I hear you. Unfortunately Dell like many other companies need to stay competitive and to do that they need to keep costs down and hence the outsourcing of their customer service. That is not the case with their business division. They are still serviced by US people. We can't have it both ways unfortunately especially with the consumer end products. Dell is not the only company to do this I am sure.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:59 PM

27,331 posts, read 30,298,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Server users are "business customers" not consumer customers. Dell like most organizations tiers their support services. Consumers get the worst treatment.

You can potentially get slightly better service if you get a business class machine, like the Latitudes or whatever they are called now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or