U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 06:01 PM

9,952 posts, read 7,564,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Shop Honeywell 1-Week/Everyday Programmable Thermostat at Lowes.com

To clarify what I meant was a basic programmable thermostat. That's all most people need if they have a regular routine everyday. You can program 4 time spans witht that one but you cannot program specific days. For another 5 bucks you can get the one that will allow you to program for the weekend. For another $30 you can get the 7 day model...
Now you're up to $55 and for just $45 more, you can get a Wi-Fi thermostat..

Honeywell Wi-Fi 7 - Day Programmable Thermostat + Free App-RTH6580WF - The Home Depot

Smart homes can mean a number of things.. There are Wi-fi/bluetooth deadbolts now.. Which really seem like a horrible idea. I actually have the wi-fi thermostat and a couple of bluetooth LED bulbs.. I wanted Wi-Fi bulbs, but all of them required a hub, which I didn't want to invest in.

Put one on my front porch that turns on from 7:30pm to 10pm daily so that it's on when I get home.. And one in my kitchen that runs from about 7pm to 2am, so it turns off right about the time I go to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:50 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Now you're up to $55 and for just $45 more, you can get a Wi-Fi thermostat..
The point I was trying to make is you have a basic routine a $20 or $25 programmable thermostat is all you need especially if the goal is to save money.

Quote:
Put one on my front porch that turns on from 7:30pm to 10pm daily so that it's on when I get home.. And one in my kitchen that runs from about 7pm to 2am, so it turns off right about the time I go to bed.
They have programmable/timer switches for something as basic as this for about $20 and you only buy it once, another use might be for the bathroom fan...

Quote:
There are Wi-fi/bluetooth deadbolts now.. Which really seem like a horrible idea.
NOVA on PBS had show on Cyber threats. One of the things they were discussing is security is taking a back seat for many of these devicees. e.g the spam spewing refrigerator and cams that are accessible by anyone etc.

AFAIK there wasn't anything they did that couldn't be done by anyone. They mocked up victim in a coffee shop and spoofed the wifi. They were able to put some software on their laptop. They were able to find the house by GPS on the laptop and know when the guy wasn't home. They were also able to open the front doors and walked right in...

Watch Full Episodes Online of NOVA on PBS | CyberWar Threat

Old 01-14-2016, 12:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 7,564,614 times
Quote:
The point I was trying to make is you have a basic routine a $20 or $25 programmable thermostat is all you need especially if the goal is to save money.
The reason I went with a Wi-Fi thermostat is.. My schedule varies ALOT.. So, some days I might get home at 7:30pm, other days not until 9pm.. Summer, I don't want the A/C lowering at 7pm when I won't be home until 9pm.. So.. With my smartphone.. I can just turn the A/C on as i'm leaving work. And, since some days I get into work late, and don't want to wake up sweating.. If I forget to turn the AC up when I leave.. I can do it from anywhere.

But, yes.. That's just me. The point I was making.. By the time you kept adding the $5 here and $5 there.. Hell.. Just go with something that likely won't be outdated or that you'll need to upgrade again. I'm a big believer in "Do the job right the first time"

Quote:
They have programmable/timer switches for something as basic as this for about $20 and you only buy it once, another use might be for the bathroom fan...
The LED bulbs were only $15. So.. Already cheaper than the timer. Feit Electric 60W Equivalent Soft White A19 Dimmable HomeBrite Bluetooth Smart LED Light Bulb-AOM800/827/LED/HBR - The Home Depot Plus.. If I pull up at 2am.. From the driveway, I can turn the porch light on.

I did look at the.. Is it Dlink that's making the Wi-Fi light switches? Problem is.. My porch light, which is why I got this in the first place.. It's a 3 switch plate, and whoever the a-hole is that built my house (I bought it out of foreclosure back in '06) went as cheap as you can and the light switches.. It's a chore to replace them. So, no interest in doing that. They used some kind of self-enclosed switch.. Best I've found, these things are used in the mobile home industry, and.. They suck. In many ways. I've had to replace 4 or 5 and am just ticked off every time I have to do it.

The kitchen light was just.. They were $15.. Hell, I could use one there, too.. Impulse purchase, most likely. I am constantly seeing how low I can make my power bill.. It's like a challenge to me. How much do I save by going from CFL to LED and using the timer functions? Probably about 30 cents a year.. But.. Somehow that equates to a win in my head. 30 cents the power company doesn't get. I'd rather give it to Home Depot.

Quote:
NOVA on PBS had show on Cyber threats. One of the things they were discussing is security is taking a back seat for many of these devicees. e.g the spam spewing refrigerator and cams that are accessible by anyone etc.

AFAIK there wasn't anything they did that couldn't be done by anyone. They mocked up victim in a coffee shop and spoofed the wifi. They were able to put some software on their laptop. They were able to find the house by GPS on the laptop and know when the guy wasn't home. They were also able to open the front doors and walked right in...

Watch Full Episodes Online of NOVA on PBS | CyberWar Threat
I was reading something about LED bulbs that were Wi-Fi enabled and how someone hacked them. They reported it to the company.. The company thanked them and patched their firmware to prevent it.. But.. A deadbolt is a far more serious security issue than a lightbulb. Even these bluetooth bulbs.. I see nothing that would prevent.. My neighbor from installing the app and being able to control my lights. Unless there's something that linked them to my phone, which.. I saw NO indication of. But.. Again.. It's a lightbulb.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm a big believer in "Do the job right the first time"
So am I, that's why we zoned every room in the house including the garage but adding another $1600 for thermostats would not be cost effective especially considering the wi-fi would never be used in my case. I have 40 year old mercury switched thermostat in the garage, it's all that is needed and it will probably be working long after I'm gone.

As I originally posted they may make sense if you have an odd schedule or it's second home but if you have a basic schedule a $20 thermostat will do the job.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:11 PM

27,331 posts, read 30,298,112 times
Target opened this up near my office. Gave us some good ideas!

Target opens an experimental store for the connected home - Fortune

I live in a small apartment, but I love my Sonos Play 1. Such an awesome gadget! Would be even better in a big place! I want a second one for my bathroom.

Quite a few friends have the Hue lightbulbs and love them.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:13 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
Also keep in mind that today's smart home systems can be rather unreliable. The Wink system is a nightmare, servers constantly going down (it will not work without internet and a connection to the Wink servers), hub not responding, devices not responding. I got a deal on a Wink hub and 2 wi-fi light bulbs (it's all I use), and within 2 months I threw the hardware in a junk box and went back to my ancient X-10 setup as it was much more reliable.

The Nest Thermostat had it's own issues recently.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...mad-customers/

Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The Nest Thermostat had it's own issues recently.
Any electronic thermostat either needs constant power or a battery. The problem with this is so many older homes only have two wires at the thermostat, older thermostats are mechanical with coiled spring and mercury bulb so they don't need power to operate. One is hot wire and the other completes the circuit back to relay so there is no constant power. To work around this modern thermostats have batteries inside them, even the simple two wire round Honeywell has a battery.

If I understand this correctly Nest worked around this by "robbing" power when there was a call for heat too charge the battery. The first issue is a drop in power on the line that may prevent the relay from working. The second issue is if your heat is not on often enough too recharge the battery.

If you have three or more wires at the thermostat one of them is common ground and this will allow for constant power to the unit. You shouldn't even need a battery at all and shouldn't have these issues.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
If you have three or more wires at the thermostat one of them is common ground and this will allow for constant power to the unit. You shouldn't even need a battery at all and shouldn't have these issues.
However, if the product is advertised to run on batteries, and you as an mfg introduce a bug that causes it to drain said batteries in short order, effectively turning off your heat, many people would take issue. This is not an issue that only the Nest suffers from. For the tech geeks it's a fact of life, technology doesn't always work as planned.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 PM

29,632 posts, read 16,066,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Agreed, a programmable is the best option for someone on a consistent schedule.

Anyone setting up smart things and IoT devices must keep security at the forefront. Not long ago fridges, TV's and other devices were used in a coordinated DDOS attack. Don't be part of the problem, any internet connected device can be vulnerable, not just your computer.

The bold needs to be cemented into our thinking... and devices can be vulnerable from criminals and the "well-meaning" government.

I will never do wireless home security. It's almost an oxymoron.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:22 AM

Another case in point, that doorbell camera you see on TV.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...a-screwdriver/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or