Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:32 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times

Advertisements

Exactly what components would I need to get to make my home a "SMART" home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 12:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Before buying anything evaluate whether you actually need it. Just because you could doesn't mean you should. Wifi thermostats for example, a good idea if you are getting home at different times of the day or have a vacation home. On the other hand if you have a basic routine every day the basic 20 dollar thermostat is all you really need.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:16 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Exactly what components would I need to get to make my home a "SMART" home?
Currently, there are several different smart home "systems." The aren't all compatible, so you have to do your homework.

Basically, you need a wi-fi setup to connect to the internet, and then some sort of smart home "hub." At that point, you can connect all sorts of things to the hub and control it all from your smart phone or from a computer somewhere. You can buy special plug-ins for your lamps and appliances, thermostats, cameras, alarm systems, and so on.

I haven't gotten too carried away with it all, so far, as I'm getting ready to move. But I do have several Nest cameras set up so that I can monitor things while I'm away. That seems to work well.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Such a vague question. Sounds like you need to do some research.

It totally depends on you. How Smart do you want it?

Disagree with Coalman on the Thermostat. You don't need a $200 one but a $20 one won't help you save any money either. At the very least you should have a programmable one.

The 2 popular things are lighting and thermostats. But you can go nuts and get a Fridge that makes a shopping list for you.

Start here:
Home automation, lighting, appliances & more - Smart Home - CNET

Old 01-11-2016, 10:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You don't need a $200 one but a $20 one won't help you save any money either. At the very least you should have a programmable one.
Shop Honeywell 1-Week/Everyday Programmable Thermostat at Lowes.com

To clarify what I meant was a basic programmable thermostat. That's all most people need if they have a regular routine everyday. You can program 4 time spans witht that one but you cannot program specific days. For another 5 bucks you can get the one that will allow you to program for the weekend. For another $30 you can get the 7 day model...

Old 01-11-2016, 11:02 AM

Does just having a thermostat or camera rise to the level of having a "Smart Home". I know that there are MANY different components that go into having a "Smart Home", but what exactly what systems and components does the house need to have before it would actually be able to be called a "Smart Home"?

Old 01-11-2016, 12:04 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Disagree with Coalman on the Thermostat. You don't need a $200 one but a $20 one won't help you save any money either. At the very least you should have a programmable one.
Agreed, a programmable is the best option for someone on a consistent schedule.

Quote:
The 2 popular things are lighting and thermostats. But you can go nuts and get a Fridge that makes a shopping list for you.
Anyone setting up smart things and IoT devices must keep security at the forefront. Not long ago fridges, TV's and other devices were used in a coordinated DDOS attack. Don't be part of the problem, any internet connected device can be vulnerable, not just your computer.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:08 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Are you trying to sell your house and you want to list it as SMART or something?
There is no official "Smart Home" designation as if you could install X Y and Z and wham: home is officially SMART.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to sell your house and you want to list it as SMART or something?
There is no official "Smart Home" designation as if you could install X Y and Z and wham: home is officially SMART.
We are having new house built that is "Energy Star" certified. It has to meet guide lines to be certified, and wanted to find out if "Smart Home" actually was a real thing, and if so what I would need to do to to actually be considered a "Smart Home".

Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
We are having new house built that is "Energy Star" certified. It has to meet guide lines to be certified, and wanted to find out if "Smart Home" actually was a real thing, and if so what I would need to do to to actually be considered a "Smart Home".
AFAIK there currently is no standard to define what a smart home is or what it needs to include, it's just a buzzword.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics