U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:15 AM

398 posts, read 369,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Glad this got bumped, I was going to start my own thread.
I just cut the cord a month or so ago.

Previous Cable TV + Internet bill: $165
Current bill: Internet $70 + Netflix $9 + Hulu $8 + Amazon around $9 + HBO Now $16 = $112
=More content then I have time to watch.
Probably dump HBO after watching GoT and save even more...
Wow $70 for Internet is on the high side unless you are getting 1 GB speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:57 AM

3,973 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Depends where you live. Big cities with more customers and more competition offer better prices. I have Time Warner in my area and the regular price for internet at 15mbps is $59.99 less a whopping $10 discount, I pay $50 a month starting this month and was paying $40 last month. Who knows what will happen next month. I am having to call in every six months to threaten to disconnect just to keep the price reasonable. They love to keep raising prices without even notifying us. In San Antonio (closest big city), regular price is $49.99 for the same speed and they offer higher speed packages than in my area. It's important to note that they have no real competition either. There is no other option at my house except satellite or dial up (lol). We are stuck. At&T does offer uverse but just not in my neighborhood and they are not any better on the pricing either.

I dropped Dish a few months back and now they are sending me letter offering me a $200 credit and a 2tr price guarantee. I say no thanks, been there done that.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Live. The only Live streaming services out there at this time are SFN TV, Playstation VUE, and Sling TV.
There are a few others available with individual apps. For example, the food network offers live TV on their app for the Fire TV. The only problem is you have to have a valid satellite or cable subscription to activate it.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
I wish people would use the location field.

$70 is pretty standard here in Cleveland, Ohio.
Same deal as GGuerra except I am NOT getting the $10 discount. Have to look into that.
It's either that for me, or a 6mb line from ATT which is the highest they offer at my house.
Ridiculous....
I live in a hole of poor internet and no choice (my neighborhood).
Neighbors in both directions (N-S) has much more options not more then a mile from me.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Depends where you live. Big cities with more customers and more competition offer better prices. I have Time Warner in my area and the regular price for internet at 15mbps is $59.99 less a whopping $10 discount, I pay $50 a month starting this month and was paying $40 last month. Who knows what will happen next month. I am having to call in every six months to threaten to disconnect just to keep the price reasonable. They love to keep raising prices without even notifying us. In San Antonio (closest big city), regular price is $49.99 for the same speed and they offer higher speed packages than in my area. It's important to note that they have no real competition either. There is no other option at my house except satellite or dial up (lol). We are stuck. At&T does offer uverse but just not in my neighborhood and they are not any better on the pricing either.

I dropped Dish a few months back and now they are sending me letter offering me a $200 credit and a 2tr price guarantee. I say no thanks, been there done that.
It really sucks for people that only have 1 choice in their area. The big cable monsters are completely ripping people off by raising their rates all the time. They'll get theirs though when gigbyte wireless and 5G wireless technologies become more common.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
There are a few others available with individual apps. For example, the food network offers live TV on their app for the Fire TV. The only problem is you have to have a valid satellite or cable subscription to activate it.
That's easy. Just ask your parents/relatives for their username password.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I wish people would use the location field.

$70 is pretty standard here in Cleveland, Ohio.
Same deal as GGuerra except I am NOT getting the $10 discount. Have to look into that.
It's either that for me, or a 6mb line from ATT which is the highest they offer at my house.
Ridiculous....
I live in a hole of poor internet and no choice (my neighborhood).
Neighbors in both directions (N-S) has much more options not more then a mile from me.
Oh, I understand price is dictated by location and there's not much alot of us can do due to local government regulations and politics. I'm sure once there is more competition for all of us we will be paying less than .07 cents a mb.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:38 AM

2,830 posts, read 1,493,540 times
We are proof you don't have to be young, hip, technically literate, or new gadget users to cut the cord.

We are long-time retired people who cut the cord last year, paying only for internet. We bought a Roku (a one-time charge for the hardware) and until this year got everything we wanted for free, off Roku. We have now subscribed to Acorn TV, a Roku channel, for $49 a year. They show ALL the old (and new) British dramas and comedies, if you like those.

This year, in order to catch the World Cup games and Euro 2016 games, we subscribed to Sling TV. They show live and taped games. This is $20/month, and we may cancel it now that the season is past. Maybe not.

We're still not spending anything like what we were, either with satellite or cable, both of which we have had in the past. We'll probably never go back to cable or satellite. If we were in a less rural area we'd probably investigate an HD antenna.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
We are proof you don't have to be young, hip, technically literate, or new gadget users to cut the cord.

We are long-time retired people who cut the cord last year, paying only for internet. We bought a Roku (a one-time charge for the hardware) and until this year got everything we wanted for free, off Roku. We have now subscribed to Acorn TV, a Roku channel, for $49 a year. They show ALL the old (and new) British dramas and comedies, if you like those.

This year, in order to catch the World Cup games and Euro 2016 games, we subscribed to Sling TV. They show live and taped games. This is $20/month, and we may cancel it now that the season is past. Maybe not.

We're still not spending anything like what we were, either with satellite or cable, both of which we have had in the past. We'll probably never go back to cable or satellite. If we were in a less rural area we'd probably investigate an HD antenna.
Good for you, not alot of senior people are willing to cut the cord. BTW I live in a suburban area and with an indoor HD antenna I'm getting about 50 channels free.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
That's easy. Just ask your parents/relatives for their username password.
Already doing it, just didn't mention it. My aunt has Time Warner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics