Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:54 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times

Advertisements

Such as? Never mind. I missed Diesel excellent answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower33 View Post
I cut the cable cord and I'm regretting it! I can't find the shows I am missing streaming anywhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:09 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Not a pro guy, so that has not affected me. If reliable, if you mean pixilation that could be as much internet download speed as anything. Things, digital and internet are seldom as simple as this or that app stinks.

Ex: our ATT internet download speed is rated at 18Mbps, but often drops down to 12 and 13Mbps. And if wife is on line with graphic intensive sites - Pinterest as an example - or watching videos - youtube or delayed broadcasts - that can be a drag too. Not saying that the sling app might not be part of the problem.

There is also playstation due that now supports a variety of devices, Amazon firesticks, rook, others(?).
You may have something else going on. I know everyone THINKS that you must have a 'fat pipe' to be able to stream anything but that's really not the case. Even at your 12 or 13, this should still be plenty to run and watch (regular, not 4K) vidoes on any site with no buffering. And Pinterest? Pinterest? That should run well even on a 6mb connection as long as there aren't 5 other people using the wifi.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You may have something else going on. I know everyone THINKS that you must have a 'fat pipe' to be able to stream anything but that's really not the case. Even at your 12 or 13, this should still be plenty to run and watch (regular, not 4K) vidoes on any site with no buffering. And Pinterest? Pinterest? That should run well even on a 6mb connection as long as there aren't 5 other people using the wifi.
That something may be your router. I often feel that even though my broadband connection is fast enough for netflix, amazon etc. my router is not keeping up. I am on a dot N router but an older Cisco E1000. It's rated at 300mbps but has only a 1x1 stream which means when dealing with multiple clients simultaneously it does lag. I have no way of actually testing this it just seems that when we have phones, tablets, Fire TV, laptop, IP cameras etc all going at the same time it has a problem keeping up. I am looking to upgrade soon but am not to happy with the current selection of consumer grade routers. I am looking at something like a ruckus business grade router which is designed to deal with many simultaneous users.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:41 AM

Agree. I just upgraded from an N to an AC and an AC adapter in my wife's desktop...I did not expect much difference yet her connection is substantially better.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:35 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
It will not work if every single Cable channel goes to pay access. They know this. It's not going to happen. I haven't seen "Pay Creep".

Link?

Have you tried the NewsOn Roku app?

NewsON Video Home Page - NewsON

They have at least one channel in most major markets. Of course in CLE they have my least favorite news channel. But still...
I don't have a link for you. But I can go to PBS through Roku and find Nature, which I used to watch for free. Now there are a few episodes that a free, but the vast majority include the symbol for the "Passport," which is a subscription service. I just looked up a series I watched in its entirety a few months ago. Most of the episodes are still free, but the Christmas one now is on the Passport list. A few months ago, I watched whatever was on there for free. So now it is paid content.

I didn't know about NewsOn. But I checked it out, and there is a local channel. I don't watch a lot of local news, but it is there if I need it. So thank you.I just wish that the cable companies would just be honest, fair companies, instead of playing games that you constantly have to keep track of. And I if I could pay half as much and get just 5 or 6 channels and a DVR, I would be a happy cable user. They seem to have no idea what people really want or will pay for.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:28 AM

http://help.pbs.org/support/solution...-pbs-passport-

http://help.pbs.org/support/solution...cost-anything-

So current episodes and the last 3 are free. You have to SUPPORT PBS to be able to have access to all episodes.
If you are a hardcore PBS fan, I think this should be more then acceptable. If not, you get the latest episodes still. I think this works. PBS has bills to pay and needs to raise money. Again if you are big into PBS wouldn't you rather pay them $60 a year then pay CBS $9/month?
All CURRENT content is available for FREE.
I think this is a good compromise for a non-profit that survives on donations "from people like you".

Old 08-05-2016, 09:54 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
One thing that will affect viewing with a Roku is that you need the new Roku 3 or higher to get the sports, etc., without pixilation and interruptions. We had an older Roku, then bought a Roku 3 for another television in the house, and the pixilation and other problems stopped when we used the Roku 3 to view these channels. So the Roku 3 is definitely faster than the older models.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:39 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
One thing that will affect viewing with a Roku is that you need the new Roku 3 or higher to get the sports, etc., without pixilation and interruptions. We had an older Roku, then bought a Roku 3 for another television in the house, and the pixilation and other problems stopped when we used the Roku 3 to view these channels. So the Roku 3 is definitely faster than the older models.
Is the Netflix client any better on the newer Roku units? I have an older purple Roku LT, and the Netflix client on that unit is really old and lacking features.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:19 PM

It is much improved. I know exactly what you mean as I have both an older and newer Roku.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
It is much improved. I know exactly what you mean as I have both an older and newer Roku.
Does the new Roku 1 or 2 have the new client? I don't need the features of the Roku 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics