U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 04:50 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,732,533 times

Advertisements

Nevermind. I found the answer myself. The new Roku Stick, Roku 2, and Roku 3 have it, but the Roku 1 does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 02:04 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,722,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
http://help.pbs.org/support/solution...-pbs-passport-

http://help.pbs.org/support/solution...cost-anything-

So current episodes and the last 3 are free. You have to SUPPORT PBS to be able to have access to all episodes.
If you are a hardcore PBS fan, I think this should be more then acceptable. If not, you get the latest episodes still. I think this works. PBS has bills to pay and needs to raise money. Again if you are big into PBS wouldn't you rather pay them $60 a year then pay CBS $9/month?
All CURRENT content is available for FREE.
I think this is a good compromise for a non-profit that survives on donations "from people like you".
I think you are right about this, but it is a change from the old way of thinking. I have long supported my local public television station, and that, in turn, supports PBS. That is the way I'm used to doing it. But now we are asked to do it more directly, and perhaps that is OK, too. I will look into it.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:07 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Thankfully our apartments have Google Fiber installed so I have Google's free internet (which is just as good as what I had with the cable provider).
Google Fiber is ending a free-Internet offer in its first city - Recode
Google Fiber is ending a free-Internet offer in its first city
What the changes in Kansas tell us about Alphabet unit's ambitions.
BY MARK BERGEN @MHBERGEN APR 9, 2016, 2:39P

As I understand it, the free option was 5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.

What city do you live in?

Old 08-08-2016, 01:17 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
For new customers. Existing customers get to keep it free apparently.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:25 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,415,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Not a pro guy, so that has not affected me. If reliable, if you mean pixilation that could be as much internet download speed as anything. Things, digital and internet are seldom as simple as this or that app stinks.

Ex: our ATT internet download speed is rated at 18Mbps, but often drops down to 12 and 13Mbps. And if wife is on line with graphic intensive sites - Pinterest as an example - or watching videos - youtube or delayed broadcasts - that can be a drag too. Not saying that the sling app might not be part of the problem.

There is also playstation due that now supports a variety of devices, Amazon firesticks, rook, others(?).

Meaning that right when the game starts, the channel loses the video and throws up an error message. Never did that on any of the other stations, just ESPN.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:50 AM

7,443 posts, read 13,078,341 times
I'm bumping this thread after looking at my checking account yesterday and seeing that Time Warner Cable had just taken out $145.37 -- for STANDARD TV (not HD) and STANDARD INTERNET.

When I moved to my current house in 2012, I started out with a "special offer," then after a year (2013) it went up substantially but I grudgingly kept it. The next year (2014) I dropped the phone (which I'd never used, but the bundle was originally cheaper WITH it) and the digital TV box (with HD channels) to keep my monthly bill at a reasonable level ($90/month). Then last year (2015) it went up to $120/month -- yeah, a 33% increase. But this latest increase is just the last straw -- another $26 a month.

I virtually never watch TV in real time (although I watch streaming video a lot) -- I have kept cable mostly because I record some programs regularly for my job. At this point, though, at a price point of $145 for the most basic of basic services, I am ready to say "enough."

Unfortunately, NO antenna works in my area (the boonies of southwestern New Hampshire), so getting OTA channels isn't possible. I have Netflix (both streaming and discs) and amazon prime, and if I get really desperate for certain things (like college football) I can always add Sling for a few months.

I will have to stick with TWC for cable Internet. Their basic service is $35 for new customers, but I suspect they will tell me it's $80 or something for me.

I am going to go to the local TWC office on Monday to see what they can do for me -- their offers are usually WAY better than I can get through TWC online or on the phone. Unless, of course, I'm a new customer.

Will report back if the local office is able to do anything. I don't have my hopes up.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:09 AM

392 posts, read 368,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm bumping this thread after looking at my checking account yesterday and seeing that Time Warner Cable had just taken out $145.37 -- for STANDARD TV (not HD) and STANDARD INTERNET.

When I moved to my current house in 2012, I started out with a "special offer," then after a year (2013) it went up substantially but I grudgingly kept it. The next year (2014) I dropped the phone (which I'd never used, but the bundle was originally cheaper WITH it) and the digital TV box (with HD channels) to keep my monthly bill at a reasonable level ($90/month). Then last year (2015) it went up to $120/month -- yeah, a 33% increase. But this latest increase is just the last straw -- another $26 a month.

I virtually never watch TV in real time (although I watch streaming video a lot) -- I have kept cable mostly because I record some programs regularly for my job. At this point, though, at a price point of $145 for the most basic of basic services, I am ready to say "enough."

Unfortunately, NO antenna works in my area (the boonies of southwestern New Hampshire), so getting OTA channels isn't possible. I have Netflix (both streaming and discs) and amazon prime, and if I get really desperate for certain things (like college football) I can always add Sling for a few months.

I will have to stick with TWC for cable Internet. Their basic service is $35 for new customers, but I suspect they will tell me it's $80 or something for me.

I am going to go to the local TWC office on Monday to see what they can do for me -- their offers are usually WAY better than I can get through TWC online or on the phone. Unless, of course, I'm a new customer.

Will report back if the local office is able to do anything. I don't have my hopes up.
If you virtually never watch TV in real time why do you even have TV through the cable monster? Why not drop your TV with TWC and sign up for Hulu which has the majority of Network TV shows on demand?

Old 08-22-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
If you virtually never watch TV in real time why do you even have TV through the cable monster? Why not drop your TV with TWC and sign up for Hulu which has the majority of Network TV shows on demand?
Because, as I wrote, "I have kept cable mostly because I record some programs regularly for my job." I'm a college prof so record a lot of stuff for my classes, plus about 10 years ago I committed to a research project for which I record the 5 "major" channels (seems weird to call them that, in today's environment) in prime time several times a year. Where I live (no OTA channels available), I HAVE to have cable to do these things -- Hulu wouldn't work.

As I also wrote, though, this latest increase feels like the last straw -- I feel like saying, "OK, I have 10 years' worth of recordings, I am just going to stop now." I watch various shows a lot for my job (yes, it's a great job ) and a lot of THAT I can do WITHOUT cable (e.g. through Netflix or amazon). But the recording of specific things at specific times during the year, I couldn't/can't. (There's probably a way to record streaming video, but that wouldn't solve the problem of the types of things I need to record. For example, the commercials in the programs are important.)

Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 AM

392 posts, read 368,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Because, as I wrote, "I have kept cable mostly because I record some programs regularly for my job." I'm a college prof so record a lot of stuff for my classes, plus about 10 years ago I committed to a research project for which I record the 5 "major" channels (seems weird to call them that, in today's environment) in prime time several times a year. Where I live (no OTA channels available), I HAVE to have cable to do these things -- Hulu wouldn't work.

As I also wrote, though, this latest increase feels like the last straw -- I feel like saying, "OK, I have 10 years' worth of recordings, I am just going to stop now." I watch various shows a lot for my job (yes, it's a great job ) and a lot of THAT I can do WITHOUT cable (e.g. through Netflix or amazon). But the recording of specific things at specific times during the year, I couldn't/can't. (There's probably a way to record streaming video, but that wouldn't solve the problem of the types of things I need to record. For example, the commercials in the programs are important.)
If you need a DVR why not try Playstation VUE or SFN TV? Both of which have Cloud DVR's.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
If you need a DVR why not try Playstation VUE or SFN TV? Both of which have Cloud DVR's.
As far as I know, they would not allow me to do what I have needed to do, which is record 5 networks simultaneously (ABC, CBS, CW, Fox, and NBC) several times a year (which I currently do with 5 separate DVD recorders), then make DVD discs out of each night/each network. (So after recording a week of programming, which again I do several times a year, I end up with 35 DVDs, 7 nights times 5 networks. And again, both the programs AND the commercials are important for that particular research project. A cloud DVR that doesn't allow downloading onto discs wouldn't work.)

If I am wrong and they WOULD allow me to do that (for a price less than cable), please correct me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics