U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:53 PM

392 posts, read 368,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
As far as I know, they would not allow me to do what I have needed to do, which is record 5 networks simultaneously several times a year (which I currently do with 5 separate DVD recorders), then make DVD discs out of each night/each network. (So after recording a week of programming, which again I do several times a year, I end up with 35 DVDs, 7 nights times 5 networks. And again, both the programs AND the commercials are important for that particular research project. A cloud DVR that doesn't allow downloading onto discs wouldn't work.)

If I am wrong and they WOULD allow me to do that (for a price less than cable), please correct me!
Yeah not sure if they allow for downloading but you could always check out the services as they offer 7 day free trials. Only other thing I can think of is to go down to a lower TV package to save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 01:02 PM

7,443 posts, read 13,078,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Yeah not sure if they allow for downloading but you could always check out the services as they offer 7 day free trials. Only other thing I can think of is to go down to a lower TV package to save money.
Looks like SFN only keeps recorded programs for 7 days, and their web site says nothing about downloading onto discs. In addition, in order to record 5 things at the same time, I think I would have to pay for their MAX service, which is $50/month. Not sure about Playstation VUE but I suspect they have the same or very similar "rules."

With Time Warner Cable I have the standard TV service (i.e. NOT HD) -- I don't have the lowest "tier" but that wouldn't save much (and frankly, when I DO watch something, it's typically sports on ESPN, and ESPN isn't included in the lowest tier). It's frustrating to pay $146 and have that not even include HD channels (just basic TV and basic Internet). I will definitely go by my local TWC office this week (wanted to go today but I have too much else to do) to see if they can get my rate down -- they HAVE been able to before.

I really appreciate your replies and will rep you as soon as I finish typing this!

Old 08-22-2016, 02:06 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
^^^ It's been my experience with TWC that they will not give me discounts unless I threaten to disconnect AND I have to do this every six months or so because their discounts are only temporary. It's a cat and mouse game that I despise and that is why I only have internet with them at the time, nothing else decent available at my house.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 AM

7,443 posts, read 13,078,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^^ It's been my experience with TWC that they will not give me discounts unless I threaten to disconnect AND I have to do this every six months or so because their discounts are only temporary. It's a cat and mouse game that I despise and that is why I only have internet with them at the time, nothing else decent available at my house.
I actually have had good experiences with the LOCAL office when I go in person -- NEVER with their phone people. Today I went by the local TWC office, and the rep was able to get my bill down from $146 to $101 -- and that is for BETTER (i.e. higher tier) service, as they gave me a new digital box for the channels above 100 (which I haven't had for a couple of years). They pro-rate their service as of the date things change, so I'll be getting back about $60 on this month's bill.

So I'm pleased with the service from the local office, but it is still annoying to have to do this every year. OTOH, I guess most people don't bother (as I didn't, last year), so they make a lot of money that way.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:06 PM

2,746 posts, read 4,012,397 times
I cut cable with Comcast almost a year ago i save around $60 a month now but i still have internet with them i pay $50 a month. Cable tv is all garbage to me anyway. I have over the air antennas now an i get at least 42 channels for free.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 AM

1,673 posts, read 874,342 times
Here's my story. I've had an incredibly rocky 10 years. But before those rocky years, my home entertainment setup was a TV + stereo receiver, a PlayStation 3, and my PC used a media server to link up with the PS3 over Wifi. I think it was called TVersity. It let me stream Youtube videos from the PC to the PS3/TV, as well as my media files from my PC storage. That combined with the DVD/BR drive took care of my home entertainment needs.

Now I'm at my own place again. I don't like video games anymore and I'm not interested in buying a game system, but I want something that works the same way the PS3 did. What devices should I look for? Or is there a more streamlined setup than the PC connecting to my PS3 wirelessly?

Old 08-29-2016, 07:31 AM

392 posts, read 368,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Here's my story. I've had an incredibly rocky 10 years. But before those rocky years, my home entertainment setup was a TV + stereo receiver, a PlayStation 3, and my PC used a media server to link up with the PS3 over Wifi. I think it was called TVersity. It let me stream Youtube videos from the PC to the PS3/TV, as well as my media files from my PC storage. That combined with the DVD/BR drive took care of my home entertainment needs.

Now I'm at my own place again. I don't like video games anymore and I'm not interested in buying a game system, but I want something that works the same way the PS3 did. What devices should I look for? Or is there a more streamlined setup than the PC connecting to my PS3 wirelessly?
Depends on what you want to watch? Live TV, Sports, pre-recorded TV shows?

Old 08-29-2016, 06:08 PM

I don't watch TV series at all, I'm a movie person. Sports is my priority, as long as the device does what my old setup was able to do.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:29 AM

918 posts, read 697,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I don't watch TV series at all, I'm a movie person. Sports is my priority, as long as the device does what my old setup was able to do.
Read up on Roku and Plex Server... https://www.plex.tv/blog/plex-on-the-roku/... also for Fire TV https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-d...mazon-fire-tv/

Old 09-07-2016, 02:28 AM

Thanks. Someone sold me their Android TV set top box, that might take care of my needs. If it doesn't, I'll give Roku a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics