U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:34 AM

997 posts, read 608,864 times

Advertisements

I cut the cord a long time ago. I never watched TV. I had a good price for a while and then I didn't so I said F.U. to the cable company and just got internet. That was expensive too, so I switched to a cheaper place.

I went for a long time without watching anything but I started watching Netflix more and Youtube has some entertainment. I have Amazon Prime but there is never anything good there anymore.

If I can't find what I want to watch then I watch something else.

I like to watch things on the computer and I like to binge watch. That is what I like about this system. I don't like to wait a week to watch a show, that is preposterous.

I was never watched much TV for years. My schedule didn't allow it. I never saw the shows when they first ran so I can watch them all now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 07:58 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I like to watch things on the computer and I like to binge watch. That is what I like about this system. I don't like to wait a week to watch a show, that is preposterous.
Preposterous? Really?
Wow... have we come to this?

Old 01-15-2017, 10:49 PM

1,444 posts, read 2,573,389 times
Bumping...

Been thinking about this for months, starting to get serious about it. Realizing that most of the new stuff I watch is on local stations. Stuff I watch on cable is older/reruns that I could find with on demand services. For the most part, I'd probably be fine with antenna for local channels, netflix and amazon while sprinkling other services as needed.

My question is, what do people use for a DVR to record the over the air stations? Looking for recommendations.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
I don't. Most of the network shows I want are on demand on Hulu.

You could get a Roamio from Tivo, I think it's called. $400. That would be the easiest and simplest thing to do.
Priciest, too. lol

There are other options. There are not many cord cutters active here, and I'd bet none have any kind of DVR-ability. It's not that important to most Cord Cutters because everything is on demand....

Old 01-16-2017, 02:12 PM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
My tivo Roamio OTA was a lot cheaper than $400 - the more expensive ones also interface with cable. It has a $15/mo programming fee. It is OK, but I liked my original Sony tivo from years ago much better. An annoying thing with this one is that it will occasionally - on its own - add channels that I do not receive, and then complain it can't get signal. WTF? Sometimes the programming isn't updated to include specials, but it is still possible to record them.

Another annoyance is that I have a data cap, being on satellite internet. Full functionality of one of these makes it a bandwidth hog, as does a roku.

I might switch over to a myth-tv system at some point.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:58 PM

6,646 posts, read 9,961,201 times
I'm on the verge of cutting the cord myself. My cable bill has just gotten absolutely out of control. The more and more I think about it the more I think I don't need a DVR. There's just so much that's available on demand via one app or another.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:01 AM

2,832 posts, read 1,496,301 times
Once we cut the cord and used only Roku and internet, we never felt the need to record anything, mostly because everything we wanted was on Roku and on demand. During this past year we kept up nicely with the election news via several news stations on Roku, and you can get PBS news and BBC America news daily, which, when added to Washington Week in Review, also on Roku, and Nightly Business Report (on internet but not Roku that we could find), give you plenty of news. There's also lots of other news programs on Roku, which we investigated during the election days.

If you are looking for your weekly dose of your favorite sitcom that comes on local TV stations, I don't know about that. I expect an antenna and some sort of recording device would be necessary.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:48 AM

27,163 posts, read 64,406,464 times
We cut all that junk and no longer have cable service at all, just internet. You can wtch most of the shows on Netflix when they are a bit older. There is no need to see the newest shows, especially at a cost of a thousand dollars or so a year.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:27 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,482,743 times
We have an antenna for over the air TV along with Magnavox DVR recorders. Picking the right antenna is so critical to maximizing the number of stations you can get. We supplement our OTA with Netflix and Sling TV but jump around to different services as needed since there is no service termination penalties. I've purchased a half dozen TV antennas over the last few years and the Clearstream 2v is my favorite. Our Magnavox DVR's do not require an internet connection to work, but it does enhance the user experience.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:16 AM

4,272 posts, read 8,022,854 times
I dropped internet service about six months ago. I have a SiliconDust HD Homerun connected to a laptop for recording TV shows on OTA channels. In a way I am like a time traveler who travels back to pre-internet eras but in the presence. Did that sentence make any sense? It's OK if it doesn't. Nothing in time travel makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics