Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:55 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times

Advertisements

Sling includes ESPN, ESPN2 and HGTV in their base $19.99 package. I add their 'sports package' for 6 months to get all of the college foot and basketball I want for $4.99. Easy to turn on and off different add on packages, like the sports package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Been without cable/satellite TV since August, and I don't miss it for the most part. Of course, my wife and I share our Netflix login with her parents, and in return, they added us to their cable account so that we can access many cable channels on the Roku and iPad.

If we didn't have her parents to do this, I'll admit I'd miss ESPN and HGTV. But I'll also add, I think this is how we will be accessing "cable tv content" in the very near future. True, ala cart programming. SlingTV had the right idea as far as giving you about 23 channels for $20/month. That's probably the threshold I'd go with pay TV. However, the thing is, I want to be able to choose which channels I want for $20/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:47 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
2016 is going to be a interesting year!

But, that is changing! Has anyone else noticed that many of the once ad supported basic channels have begun switching to pay access? I'm not talking having the choice of ad free pay or ad laden free, I'm talking eliminating the ad supported version and going to straight monthly fee. Or how CBS has decided to offer a new show free but all subsequent episodes will be available only on their paid CBS All Access. Its as if they decided its no longer worth the expense of airing ads, just charge the viewer for the content on a subscription basis. Since subscriptions can be $5 - $20 a channel, you may soon be paying as much as with a cable, iptv, satellite provider for far less content.

I have heard that in 2016, some popular providers such as CBS, History Channel, PBS, Disney, Smithsonian, and a dozen others who once provided free content with ads have set up their own paid subscription services. So although we may be cutting the cord, savings may just become the dinosaur of cord cutting in 2016.
I have internet, ROKU, and Amazon Prime, pay for Netflix. I have noticed exactly the same thing. Even PBS is now going to pay access for Nature and similar programs. Disgusting. I have used Ooma for over 6 years now. I had no land line for a few months after I moved, but figured that since I have the phones and the Ooma, it increases convenience in the house to hook it up, and it only costs a few bucks a month. But I am not sure what to do about the creeping pay access on the Roku. Watch less TV, I guess. I've been 7 months without cable TV, and miss it only for local and national news. But I mostly listen to NPR on the radio for that. I guess I could get an antenna.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:23 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
It will not work if every single Cable channel goes to pay access. They know this. It's not going to happen. I haven't seen "Pay Creep".

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Even PBS is now going to pay access for Nature and similar programs.
Link?

Quote:
I've been 7 months without cable TV, and miss it only for local and national news. But I mostly listen to NPR on the radio for that. I guess I could get an antenna.
Have you tried the NewsOn Roku app?

NewsON Video Home Page - NewsON

They have at least one channel in most major markets. Of course in CLE they have my least favorite news channel. But still...

Old 08-01-2016, 07:53 AM

123 posts, read 84,273 times
I don't have cable tv or any tv, for that matter. I haven't watched most tv for years. I have netflix which I use a couple times a month. I have no landline. I do keep cable internet.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:52 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Sling includes ESPN, ESPN2 and HGTV in their base $19.99 package. I add their 'sports package' for 6 months to get all of the college foot and basketball I want for $4.99. Easy to turn on and off different add on packages, like the sports package.
SlingTV is simply not reliable if y9uo're wanting to use it to watch the big Monday Night football game. I found that out the hard way.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:02 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Sling TV is Adding The NFL Network & NFL Red Zone

After over six weeks’ blackout of the NFL Network on Dish the parent company, Sling TV, says a deal has been reached to bring the NFL Network and NFL RedZone back to Dish and add it to Sling TV.

NFL Network will be coming to Sling TV and the NFL RedZone channel will also join Sling TV. No exact date has been announced but both channels will be available before the start of the 2016 NFL season. Yet it does sound the NFL Network and RedZone will be a add-on. For now no official word on price or packages have been announced at this time.

“These networks will give Dish and Sling TV customers the inside look at a favorite American pastime as we approach the NFL seasons,” said Dish’s Warren Schlichting,executive vice president of marketing, programming and media sales.

“Seeing the continuing evolution of the landscape, everybody is reacting and we’re no different,” said Hans Schroeder, NFL’s senior vice president of media strategy, business development and sales.

In a brief statement spokesperson from Dish said it “has reached a multi-year agreement with NFL Network for carriage of NFL Network and RedZone. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.”

Old 08-03-2016, 08:03 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
^^^^^
Terms of agreement not disclosed but I'm sure NFL is getting more money, which will be reflected in the DISH annual $5 a month increase next February.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
I've been thinking about cutting the cord. Main reason I don't is because of sports. Sunday ticket is the main reason I have DTV. What options are there for sports(primarily football, college and nfl)?

Old 08-04-2016, 06:53 AM

Not a pro guy, so that has not affected me. If reliable, if you mean pixilation that could be as much internet download speed as anything. Things, digital and internet are seldom as simple as this or that app stinks.

Ex: our ATT internet download speed is rated at 18Mbps, but often drops down to 12 and 13Mbps. And if wife is on line with graphic intensive sites - Pinterest as an example - or watching videos - youtube or delayed broadcasts - that can be a drag too. Not saying that the sling app might not be part of the problem.

There is also playstation due that now supports a variety of devices, Amazon firesticks, rook, others(?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
SlingTV is simply not reliable if y9uo're wanting to use it to watch the big Monday Night football game. I found that out the hard way.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:54 AM

Such as? Never mind. I missed Diesel excellent answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunFlower33 View Post
I cut the cable cord and I'm regretting it! I can't find the shows I am missing streaming anywhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics