U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 09:36 AM

327 posts, read 260,798 times

Advertisements

I own 2 older BOSE home audio system that play from CD. The newer one has a multi disk changer and can play mp3's as well as standard audio discs. Problem is, CD mechanical portions are failing on both units while rest of electronics and speakers are good.

I would like to be able to play from AUX input using files stored on something like an SD card or maybe a portable device of some kind. I will convert all my existing CDs to either mp3 or wav files. Remote control for skipping thru files and folders would be nice.

I see blue tooth receivers for $20-30 that can take input from tablets, phones, etc but most are little battery powered devices that seem a little flakey.

Best would be something hard-wired to the Bose Aux, ac powered, remote capable, that could take SD cards and/or thumb drives as input.

Any ideas on best way to do this? Willing to spend some $$ for a good solution.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
Well, you could always simply buy a CD or DVD or Blu Ray player and burn all you music to disc. There are probably better solutions, though.

I'd have to look, but I think Apple still makes a little gadget called Airport Express. It's a little square thing that plugs into the wall and can also plug into a stereo receiver's AUX input. The idea is that it becomes a part of your wi-fi network. Using your IPhone or IPad or IPod, you can stream music directly to the receiver through the Airport Express.

Or, try looking on Amazon for "Bluetooth Receiver." Something like that might also work.

Or, try a 3rd generation Apple TV for audio streaming.

Or, if you wanted to spend money, you could use an entire laptop with an card reader and control it all with a IPad or wireless keyboard.

At some point, though, you could probably just buy new equipment.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:01 PM

4,448 posts, read 5,447,600 times
Yes, Air Play is still around.

Expensive solution, get a Sonos amp for each of your Bose systems, use the computer for the SD, USB, CDs, stream wireless, remote control via smart phone.

Cheap solution

Bookshelf Android tablet stereo. Take the speaker out to 3.5mm stereo adapter to the Aux in of the Bose. Comes with remote. I picked one up at Walmart for just over $100 tied it to a PA system.

The one blue tooth receiver that I bought could only be paired to one device, the device (phone) had to unpair itself so another device can pair to it. If you had a guest pair their phone to it and they left, you couldn't use the bluetooth until they came back and unpaired it.

Another had to re pair up each time it lost power.

Last edited by thelopez2; 01-18-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 02:49 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
I keep my entire music collection on my computer and stream to my smartphone using Muzecast. It's software that runs on your home PC and streams to any android device using Wifi or the internet. No need to load music on the phone, sd card, usb etc. I then use bluetooth to connect wirelessly into my home audio system using a bluetooth receiver->3.5mm plug->stereo RCA to Aux input on my home receiver or play in the car into a hands free bluetooth. The requirements for this type of set up are a home PC (that will host your music), internet with wifi, and of course all your music in digital format (mp3, FLAC etc). I keep all my music CD's in a box for safe keeping.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:38 PM

327 posts, read 260,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I keep my entire music collection on my computer and stream to my smartphone using Muzecast. It's software that runs on your home PC and streams to any android device using Wifi or the internet. No need to load music on the phone, sd card, usb etc. I then use bluetooth to connect wirelessly into my home audio system using a bluetooth receiver->3.5mm plug->stereo RCA to Aux input on my home receiver or play in the car into a hands free bluetooth. The requirements for this type of set up are a home PC (that will host your music), internet with wifi, and of course all your music in digital format (mp3, FLAC etc). I keep all my music CD's in a box for safe keeping.
Thank you. Could you tell me what bluetooth receiver you used and if you had any problems like thelopez2 mentioned above with the pairing and staying connected?

Old 01-19-2016, 11:13 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
As far as the reconnect issue it's the phone that is likely the problem. My phone is android and I use an app called Bluetooth Auto Connect and that takes care of that. It also has a nice feature that will turn your bluetooth off to save battery when not in use for a specified number of minutes. There are many bluetooth receivers avalable as you may already know. The issue with the bluetooth receivers for me anyway is power. You can get a rechargable or a non-rechargable that always needs power connected in order to function. The ones I use are rechargable and unless you keep on top of it and recharge all the time you will have to worry about that. I don't remember the brand/type but there are many available at different prices. I would personally recommend a unit that stays connected to your home audio and powered by 110v like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-NFC-E.../dp/B009OBCAW2
or
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492t.../dp/B0047T79VS

If you also want to use it in the car this is the one I recommend and use myself.
http://www.amazon.com/iClever-Blueto.../dp/B00GJFGE0K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or