U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 05:46 PM

2,805 posts, read 4,073,559 times

Advertisements

Thanks to those answering my antenna question. I am considering upgrading my Toshiba HDTV 720 with a Vizio 1080 Smart TV. However, as stated in a previous thread, I do NOT want cable or dish and am using Solid Signal antenna in the attic. I do have internet through AT&T UVerse which enables the wireless in the house. Would it make sense to upgrade to the Vizio not having cable or dish? I am curious about Amazon Prime and Roku. Also we are Apple fans. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 07:22 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,872,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Thanks to those answering my antenna question. I am considering upgrading my Toshiba HDTV 720 with a Vizio 1080 Smart TV. However, as stated in a previous thread, I do NOT want cable or dish and am using Solid Signal antenna in the attic. I do have internet through AT&T UVerse which enables the wireless in the house. Would it make sense to upgrade to the Vizio not having cable or dish? I am curious about Amazon Prime and Roku. Also we are Apple fans. Thanks!
Just took your new smart TV up to AT&T U-verse and you're all set. Subscribe to Amazon prime or maybe Hulu or Netflix. Also, there are hundreds of other apps on the Smart TV that you could check out.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:52 PM

2,805 posts, read 4,073,559 times
Thanks, John. Wife already has Amazon Prime for shopping. The U-verse is just for fiber optic internet, not TV. I just don't want another expensive bill. My phone is prepaid Verizon.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,872,802 times
Quote:
Thanks, John. Wife already has Amazon Prime for shopping. The U-verse is just for fiber optic internet, not TV. I just don't want another expensive bill. My phone is prepaid Verizon.
That's what a smart TV is all about. TV and movies over the Internet. It doesn't have anything to do with the TV stations that AT&T peddles. Just pretend there's a little computer in your television set and you're hooking it up just like any other computer to access the Internet. Unless there is some reason that U-verse won't work that way. I don't think so though.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,450,646 times
To answer the OP's questions

Unless you are really into sports, or have a big TV, of sit really close, you won't notice much of a difference in upgrading from 720 to 1080p TV.

Have you consider using your money for a Tivo with a lifetime subscription?

Roku is a device. Companies make channel/apps for the Roku. It is probably the most widely used "Smart" device. Channels/Apps might be available on the Roku that aren't available on Smart TV. You can use a Roku to connect to the WiFi of your ATT uverse and watch Amazon prime on your TV. Streaming needs a certain amount of WiFi and internet speed to work well.

You can also connect most apple devices to a TV with a cable and use the WiFi of your house since you don't have unlimited data on your phone. I have watched HBO go and Netflix with such cable but haven't tried Hulu or Amazon Prime. Apple TV is like a Roku device, but can tie into your other Apple device shared iTunes and Photo library.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:06 AM

10,168 posts, read 10,491,558 times
Quote:
Thanks to those answering my antenna question. I am considering upgrading my Toshiba HDTV 720 with a Vizio 1080 Smart TV.
Tv broadcast over the air or over cable comes at either 720p (progressive) or 1080i (interlace). You have no control over the choice here, it is the discretion of the broadcaster. They both require about the same amount of bandwidth so FOX thinks 720p is better at capturing fast motion so it is better option for sports.

What is termed "full high definition" is 1080p. If you buy such a TV then you have to get your signal from Blu Ray DVDs that are labelled Full HD. But you won't get your signal from cable, satellite, or over the air. You will probably get such a signal from a game.

However, if you are not a DVD lover or a gamer, you will get very little advantage going to 1080p. Unless you have a pressing need, I would wait until you can afford UHD (ultra high definition) or high dynamic range (HDR). HDR was a term invented for imaging and photography in general, so there are many examples on the internet. It was subsequently applied for the latest generation of TVs.

In summary, you would probably by a 1080p if you are looking for a new TV, as there is little price difference between a 720p and a 1080p. But unless you love Blu ray DVDs or games it is not a feature really worth upgrading.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:59 AM

918 posts, read 697,936 times
If the Vizio is cheap, go for it...Netflix and other streaming services do transmit 1080p signals along with Blu Ray discs...only buy 1080p if its cheap and a smoking deal...be aware that you may want to upgrade that in a few years....if you want to keep your next tv for a significant amount of years then either spend some big bucks to get a 4k tv that is HDR enabled or wait until 4k HDR enabled tvs come down in price while keeping the Toshiba...don't buy a cheap 4k tv....those will not be HDR enabled and HDR is more important than the 4k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics