Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:12 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times

Advertisements

Quick question for anyone with AV knowledge - we recently bought a home which has some built-in surround sound speakers in the wall. We are not big movie people, but I am interested in possibly using these speakers instead of a soundbar with our TV, and also streaming music to them via Spotify.

I know I need some sort of receiver or amplifier, but I'm really pretty clueless about this stuff. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars - we have a powered portable speaker which we use for Spotify which has done well for us. I'm just figuring since the speakers are there and built-in, we should use them if possible (I was told they're decent speakers).

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 11:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
A basic surround sound setup calls for 5 speakers plus a subwoofer. This is called 5.1. How many speakers are in the wall? What size and placement? Are they in front of you, on the sides, or behind. A decent 5.1 A/V receiver can be had for under $200 now a days but there are still some questions..

Old 02-01-2016, 11:31 AM

I guess my terminology of "surround sound" was incorrect. The room is wired for surround, but they took the rear/center speakers, and all that's left are the two built-in fronts.

Not looking for a full surround system, just looking to use those two fronts for tv output. There's also speakers wired out to a porch, so I'd like to be able to isolate the porch from the living room, but not necessarily have two different things playing on each set of speakers.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I guess my terminology of "surround sound" was incorrect. The room is wired for surround, but they took the rear/center speakers, and all that's left are the two built-in fronts.

Not looking for a full surround system, just looking to use those two fronts for tv output. There's also speakers wired out to a porch, so I'd like to be able to isolate the porch from the living room, but not necessarily have two different things playing on each set of speakers.
I'm assuming the two front speakers that are left are the wired kind. If so, why not get a home theater receiver and set it to two channel (with phantom center) and hook it all up? TV to the receiver, receiver to the speakers. Most newer home theater speakers will handle streaming via Bluetooth or Airplay. Your only cost will be whatever the receiver cost.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I'm assuming the two front speakers that are left are the wired kind. If so, why not get a home theater receiver and set it to two channel (with phantom center) and hook it all up? TV to the receiver, receiver to the speakers. Most newer home theater speakers will handle streaming via Bluetooth or Airplay. Your only cost will be whatever the receiver cost.
I think that's similar to my plan. I found an inexpensive used receiver with A/B speaker selection - I plan on going optical audio from the cable box to the receiver, and use Chromecast Audio to stream wirelessly from Spotify.

Not fancy, but it should work right?

Old 02-01-2016, 03:02 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Yes that is what I was thinking.

I was going to say get something like this before your optical requirement popped up.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9SHOtvX...mplifiers.html

Old 02-01-2016, 03:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think that's similar to my plan. I found an inexpensive used receiver with A/B speaker selection - I plan on going optical audio from the cable box to the receiver, and use Chromecast Audio to stream wirelessly from Spotify.

Not fancy, but it should work right?
What if you have a blu ray player? Or Chromecast? There's another thread on here from some guy who was having trouble with the audio because he was taking the audio signal from the cable box. Let the receiver be the central point.

If possible, you want to be able to switch inputs and still have sound. So, depending on the receiver, take the signals (audio and video) from the cable box to the receiver. From there, hook up the TV for the video. All sound comes from the receiver.

It's complicated and I'm probably not explaining it right.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:45 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
some great info on connecting AV system
Connecting Your HDTV

Old 02-02-2016, 03:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
I would recommend a 5.1 A/V receiver. You do NOT have to use 5.1, you can run stereo if you wish. I like Yamaha but a Pioneer or something similar would work just fine. You can pick it up for less than $200 for a manufacturer refurbished unit (around $170 with shipping). I have two and have had them for years without any problems. Actually I bought one used and the other is a refurb. on ebay.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 PM

I snagged one of these off craigslist for 60 bucks. Overkill, but it's doing the job.

HTR-5490 - HTR - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics