Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 01:42 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

Trying to cut the cord. This affordable option doesn't seem to offer my favorite channel, but I suppose I could stream that via my Fire tablet using public wifi (don't have internet at home). Go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Pros:

1. You get 23 Cable channels for $20, which includes ESPN and ESPN 2, and optional add-on packages for as low as $5 more a month.
2. It works on the Roku, your Mac computer, your PC, XBOX, and Amazon Fire.
3. There is no long term commitment. You can cancel at anytime.
4. Stream quality is pretty good.
5. There are On-Demand shows you can watch.
6. You can watch it anywhere where you have a decent internet connection.

Cons:

1. You have to have an internet connection to use Sling TV.
2. You cannot pause live TV.
3. There is no DVR functionality.
4. The ESPN channel errors out frequently, especially during big games.
5. You can only watch Sling TV on one device at a time.
6. On Demand content is very limited.
7. No national broadcast stations like CBS, NBC, FOX, or ABC.
8. About three of the channels in the base package are pretty worthless. The package would seem more attractive if they substituted some of those channels for something like the DIY channel or AMC.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:01 AM

But why would anyone use this when, with an Internet connection, you can stream anything that's on the big screen (TV/movies) with a reasonable subscription price? Under $10/month each for Hulu and Netflix...

Old 02-04-2016, 10:23 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
[u][b]Pros:
The package would seem more attractive if they substituted some of those channels for something like the DIY channel or AMC.
AMC is on Sling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But why would anyone use this when, with an Internet connection, you can stream anything that's on the big screen (TV/movies) with a reasonable subscription price? Under $10/month each for Hulu and Netflix...
No (current) AMC on Hulu or Netflix. No ESPN either. No Disney Channel.

Different strokes for different strokes.
Great to have so many options today.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
AMC is on Sling.
I was thinking of TCM when I typed AMC. TCM is on an extra package.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Hulu and Netflix doesn't stream live TV. Hulu has the latest episodes of certain broadcast station shows - a day or two after those shows have aired, but they don't have everything. i.e. No ESPN, no CBS shows, no AMC, etc... Netflix has no latest episodes of current shows, unless it's Netflix original shows like "Orange Is The New Black" or "Daredevil" - shows that are not played on traditional live TV.

SO, having said that, there is a good reason why SlingTV is attractive to people. Especially those who love sports.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
SlingTV is not a substitute for Netflix and Hulu. They are different products. My wife likes SlingTV for it's "white noise' factor of having something on in the background. The biggest downsides we have seen is 1) only one TV per account can be used at each time and 2) sometimes stations cut out altogether or stream at very low quality compared to others.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:06 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Any more recent opinions/experiences..? I'm looking at buying Sling.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:08 AM

DISH TV has a really good deal now. The "skinny" package... Flex offers 50 stations (good ones, too), plus your choice of an additional package of 10: local, news, sports, etc., for $39/month with a two-year contract. I'm actually considering that one.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:07 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I could not watch my Indians games on my TV for the ALCS and ALDS because they were on TBS. Got SlingTV. Loved it. Had an app for my Roku and I even watched one game through the app on my computer.
It was cool.
I do wish there was a bit more On Demand. Because of that it's a lot like watching regular TV. You have to be home in front of the TV when your show is on.

Kept it for one more month to catch up on Walking Dead. Canceling shortly.

Try the SlingTV free trial. Not a thing to lose by trying that.

You may want to check out Sony's Vue, also. I haven't tried that but they do have something similar to a DVR service that Sling lacks. It's a little more expensive, though.

Last edited by Peregrine; 11-03-2016 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics