U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 PM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times

Advertisements

I have four old bookshelf stereos from the 1990's and none of the CD players work. I have tried to clean out the dust using a Dust-Removal Tool following the advice of several websites, but the CD's don't register. I have two other setups, but my 80 year parents can't seem to negotiate past the numerous dials and/or remotes.

I thought maybe I could get a small boom box type which is easier to operate, and hook it to a bluetooth speaker when you want to get better sound. I saw these two models:

Jensen CD Bluetooth Boombox (CD555)
Jensen AM/FM Radio CD Boombox (CD560)

Question
1) Both players list blue tooth connectivity. But as I read the specs I believe the CD555 will hook up to external speakers, but the CD-560 will only permit other devices like phones to hook up to it. Am I reading this correctly?
2) Both products seem a little cheaply made and it seems likely that the CD player will stop working very quickly. Is there a product like this of better quality? It seems like bluetooth is more associated with digital music of which my parent's don't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 12:54 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,871,197 times
I think they have little Bluetooth adapter gizmos that will plug into any audio output. So just about any player can be turned into a Bluetooth player. What would be wrong with that?

Old 02-09-2016, 01:28 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
I looked for wifi players previously, everything I was finding seemed very small and/or expensive. Ended up with Sony similar to this:

Sony 700W Wireless Music System Black MHCECL99BT - Best Buy

Not really a bookshelf system but you do not need to hook up the sub either. It fit my needs because I wanted something loud for outdoor parties but portable enough it wasn't giant hassle to move it. I just kept the box, takes about 5 minutes to pack and unpack. Typically I just leave down in the cellar by the pool table. The one in the link is newer than mine, mine has ipod docking station and more important to me mini jack for analog input so you can hook anything to it.

That one has bluetooth but what would be imporastant to me is it has USB and the mini jack.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:07 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I think they have little Bluetooth adapter gizmos that will plug into any audio output. So just about any player can be turned into a Bluetooth player. What would be wrong with that?
Google Chromecast Audio will let you turn any speaker system into a wifi input.

I don't know what you mean. Are you talking about an adapter that would plug into an HDMI output. Where would it get power? Would it also plug in a USB port for power. Can you show a link to such a device.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:41 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
If you look at the picture where it's plugged into a reguala radio there is little gray cord running over the edge of the table.

The power adapter would be required if you were plugging it into player that only has analog input. If the device has USB you won't need the power adapter but you'd have to check to see exactly what the player supports over USB, I would venture to guess that most are not going to support streaming over the USB port and will only support files stored on memory stick. However you can plug it into the USB for power and run analog wire to an audio input.

That said it would seem to me a USB stick is lot simpler and easier than having to deal with anything wireless, plus you can use it as backup of your music freeing up a little space on your backup drive if you have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or