U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times

Advertisements

Not everyone likes using their phone for GPS, I certainly do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 01:06 PM

26,403 posts, read 24,980,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I am pretty sure you have a decent Android *smart* phone ??

If *yes*, then install *GPS Waypoint Navigator*.
Pay your 9 dollar cost one time and get updates for the rest of your phone life ...
Worldwide maps !!! It uses many different map systems, all up to *you* which one you would like to use !!
Garmin is on the way out for the *little* guy. Give up on it and use your phone more !!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avigator&hl=en

Important (at least for me)
Customer service is supreme, One email to the developer and you get personal e-mail back.
Even more important !! The developer is willing to listen to your suggestions !!!
ummmm, your going to really really hammer me for this, but I don't own a cell....
I had one years ago, and never used it, it laid in my glove compartment while I paid 30.00 a month for it, and never used it...so?

I now have a very cheap tracfone, that I activate only when I travel....

Old 02-27-2016, 02:06 PM

5,370 posts, read 11,275,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
ummmm, your going to really really hammer me for this.
Nope, not at all. I just recently (about a year) went for a *smart phone*.
NHDave does not like to use his phone for a GPS either, so to each his own.
My suggestion was nothing more than that, a suggestion.

As I mentioned before, I used to lug my laptop all around with me.
Now I leave that bugger home and use my phone ...

In the car, the phone slides into a cradle and is than used as a GPS (when I need it, which is seldom, maybe 1 out of 15 trips ... ?)
I can still answer my phone, because it automatically switches to phone use.
When I am done, it *knows* I am done (I guess that is why *smart* phone ?) and goes back to GPS ...
On huge parking lots, it even will point me to where my car is parked ...

Old 02-27-2016, 03:11 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
We all use what we like best. I have an 8.4" screen built in to my dash with NAV, it would be a downgrade to use a smart phone. Not to mention I don't like cradles and wires hanging off my dash, but it is a good option for many.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:11 AM

40,068 posts, read 48,949,086 times
I have a Garmin Nuvi and it works just fine. The 1st time I tried to upload the new maps I had a problem, called tech service, found out it was operator error, me not following prompts properly, and they got me straightened out. Now I have no problems.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:12 AM

26,403 posts, read 24,980,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I have a Garmin Nuvi and it works just fine. The 1st time I tried to upload the new maps I had a problem, called tech service, found out it was operator error, me not following prompts properly, and they got me straightened out. Now I have no problems.
I meant to call them this past Friday when I got home, (they are not in on Weekends) and I forgot....
so, I have to wait until next Friday or one night this week.
Thank you

Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
It's been a while since i updated ours (smart phone) and i find these in my Garmin folder

GarminMapUpdater

garminmapupdater_naeu_a

GarminMapUpdater_v2.5.16

All are .exe files and none are recent, but there might be a new version. IIRC I had to use one of these the last update cycle.

Edit: Found this note to myself on my Desktop

Quote:
Note: I used Garmin Express last time and it worked perfectly.

To update the Garmin maps use the Garmin Lifetime Updater in the Downloads/Garmin folder file name GarminMapUpdater.exe. Latest one is dated June 8th 2013 and there may be a newer one on Garmin. I'd use Google to find it instead of Garmin. Their site sucks.

The Garmin Express program didn't work at all so I'd skip it even if it downloads and installs when the Garmin is connected to the computer.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:17 PM

4,529 posts, read 4,215,220 times
Honestly, ALL GPS's will take out off road and give you a weird random route every now and again, because its just an electronic items telling you to go where it thinks it best going by a routing algorithm programmed into it. But for all the recommendations of using your phone for a GPS, Google maps will ********* over alot, and I mean alot of times with weird and erratic routes. The best thing to do is plan the route and if possible look at it on the GPS first to make sure to it makes sense and use your human sense of direction as well.

I will use a real GPS, since they have stronger signals than cell phones and also have the route on my cell as well just to make sure they arent conflicting too greatly. I have Nokia HERE maps offline install on my phone as well, just incase I loose cell reception.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:30 AM

1,084 posts, read 897,132 times
I have a Garmin nuvi 2495LMT that I got for Xmas in 2013. The first time I updated the maps and software, it worked fine. I was planning a trip from North Georgia to Pittsburgh a few months ago and I thought it would be a good idea to update it again. Neither of my laptops would recognize the Garmin device being connected even though they were connected and charging from the USB port on my laptop.

I ordered a new ($6 on Amazon) cable and it fixed the problem. Garmin Express on my laptop recognized the device and updated everything. It's working like new now.

I've been very pleased with it and I bought my dad one (his is the 5" 2595LMT vs. my 4.3" 2495LMT) for his birthday in 2014. He loves his as well. The features such as lane guidance, exit services, traffic detours and even voice command work great.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:31 PM

5,370 posts, read 11,275,577 times
As long as the Garmin works, it does work.
We did have one ... but why use a Garmin when my cell phone does the same thing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
a real GPS, since they have stronger signals than cell phones
Uhmmm ... where does this come from ??

A regular (real = your term) GPS gets its signals or input from the same satellites as my phone !
So how can be it be stronger ??
I do not get GPS data from some cell phone provider ...

When I *ask* the GPS APP on my phone where I am, it actually shows my phone about 3 feet from where I actually am sitting ...
I enlarge the map and it shows my house and from there I can *see* where I am !

I use my Phone app when I fly (private airplane)
When I set the coordinates for the runway start I am dead on !!
There is an *arrow* which points me to the direction to point the nose of the plane to !
That *arrow* points to the middle of the runway !!

How strong or accurate does it have to be to be known as a *real* GPS ??

Last edited by irman; 03-08-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or