U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2016, 05:41 PM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Reputation: 10244

Advertisements

irman, you seem to have Dude111 syndrome. One of the main symptoms is excessive use of exclamation points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 PM
 
28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Reputation: 37346
Syndrome!!!!!!!!

noun
noun: syndrome; plural noun: syndromes
a group of symptoms that consistently occur together or a condition characterized by a set of associated symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 06:10 AM
 
26,405 posts, read 24,998,053 times
Reputation: 16122
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I have a Garmin nuvi 2495LMT that I got for Xmas in 2013. The first time I updated the maps and software, it worked fine. I was planning a trip from North Georgia to Pittsburgh a few months ago and I thought it would be a good idea to update it again. Neither of my laptops would recognize the Garmin device being connected even though they were connected and charging from the USB port on my laptop.

I ordered a new ($6 on Amazon) cable and it fixed the problem. Garmin Express on my laptop recognized the device and updated everything. It's working like new now.

I've been very pleased with it and I bought my dad one (his is the 5" 2595LMT vs. my 4.3" 2495LMT) for his birthday in 2014. He loves his as well. The features such as lane guidance, exit services, traffic detours and even voice command work great.
yes, I was pleased with mine until the last time I drove across country....the scenic routes it took me on, were nice, but, was more interested in making time...
I was surprised it did that...but I could have changed something in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Lake Arrowhead, Waleska, GA
1,084 posts, read 899,053 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I was pleased with mine until the last time I drove across country....the scenic routes it took me on, were nice, but, was more interested in making time...
I was surprised it did that...but I could have changed something in it?
In the Settings, you choose how you want it to calculate your route. Garmin units are set on "Faster Time" by default, if I'm not mistaken, but you can also choose "Shorter Distance" or "Less Fuel" on mine. It sounds like yours might not be set to "Faster Time". Go into the Settings menu, choose Navigation, then Calculation Mode to select how it routes you.

White you're in the Settings, you can also select Avoidances (U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Traffic (on a traffic-equipped model), Ferries, Carpool Lanes and (the most useful, especially here in semi-rural North Georgia) Unpaved Roads). It will avoid any of those items you select. I only have Traffic and Unpaved Roads checked, but a lot of people select U-Turns also (including my parents). I don't like U-Turns, but my SUV (Mazda CX-9) has a tight turning radius and it has plenty of power to get up to speed with oncoming traffic once I turn around. It beats driving miles out of the way.

A word of advice to all Garmin owners- after you choose 'Where To?", you have the options of 'Go Home', 'Address', Restaurants, Gas Stations or Shopping. I have found that the Gas Stations listings are outdated and/or incorrect. It's usually not a problem, but on a trip from Atlanta to Pittsburgh last month, I went on a somewhat scary adventure in search of a Chevron station! It took me almost six miles off the interstate in West Virginia with about nine inches of snow on the ground. The roads were icy and when I finally got to the location, it was a Sunoco station and it was out of business! I was well under 1/4 of a tank at that point and, at 18mpg, that's basically running on fumes. Thankfully, I managed skid and slide another 11 miles back to the freeway and a functional gas station! I didn't let it get much below the 1/2 tank mark for the rest of that trip. Lesson learned. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 08:31 AM
 
26,405 posts, read 24,998,053 times
Reputation: 16122
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
In the Settings, you choose how you want it to calculate your route. Garmin units are set on "Faster Time" by default, if I'm not mistaken, but you can also choose "Shorter Distance" or "Less Fuel" on mine. It sounds like yours might not be set to "Faster Time". Go into the Settings menu, choose Navigation, then Calculation Mode to select how it routes you.

White you're in the Settings, you can also select Avoidances (U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Traffic (on a traffic-equipped model), Ferries, Carpool Lanes and (the most useful, especially here in semi-rural North Georgia) Unpaved Roads). It will avoid any of those items you select. I only have Traffic and Unpaved Roads checked, but a lot of people select U-Turns also (including my parents). I don't like U-Turns, but my SUV (Mazda CX-9) has a tight turning radius and it has plenty of power to get up to speed with oncoming traffic once I turn around. It beats driving miles out of the way.

A word of advice to all Garmin owners- after you choose 'Where To?", you have the options of 'Go Home', 'Address', Restaurants, Gas Stations or Shopping. I have found that the Gas Stations listings are outdated and/or incorrect. It's usually not a problem, but on a trip from Atlanta to Pittsburgh last month, I went on a somewhat scary adventure in search of a Chevron station! It took me almost six miles off the interstate in West Virginia with about nine inches of snow on the ground. The roads were icy and when I finally got to the location, it was a Sunoco station and it was out of business! I was well under 1/4 of a tank at that point and, at 18mpg, that's basically running on fumes. Thankfully, I managed skid and slide another 11 miles back to the freeway and a functional gas station! I didn't let it get much below the 1/2 tank mark for the rest of that trip. Lesson learned. =)
Thanks so much for the advice....I've played around with the settings and you are correct, I bet I had it on Faster Time....and I've also played around with the Avoidances, for instance, I won't use toll roads.
I'm sure it was something I did...never took me off road before, I've been very pleased with it...
Thanks so much....greatly appreciate your advice.

I'm not going to worry about updating the maps...
the problem seems to be with Garmin Express, never ever before did I have a problem updating the maps, and I've tried to use it on two computers...I may call in for help to their IS support...? The timing for me is a problem, I don't sync with their hours.

I've also read on the internet, a whole lot of people are having problems with Garmin Express, and Garmin doesn't seem to care to work out the kinks...?

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-09-2016 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 AM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Reputation: 10244
There isn't a piece of software on the planet that someone doesn't have problems with. Windows configurations vary widely and software problems can be the result of other issues with the PC, not the software that isn't working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 09:56 AM
 
26,405 posts, read 24,998,053 times
Reputation: 16122
I have another question for you guru's...

When driving across several states, is there a quick way to see what routes it is taking you on?

Someone had suggested that to me....there is a feature that shows you the route, but my goodness, it is long when your driving across or down several states?

It similates the drive, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 10:00 AM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I have another question for you guru's...

When driving across several states, is there a quick way to see what routes it is taking you on?

Someone had suggested that to me....there is a feature that shows you the route, but my goodness, it is long when your driving across or down several states?

It similates the drive, doesn't it?
There isn't really a way to fit all that info on a small screen. On most you can zoom out but at some point you're gonna be out so far what you're seeing isn't going to be very useful. With a garmin you can tap the upper left corner and it will cycle through upcoming turns, but I know of no way to see the entire planned route for a trip that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 AM
 
26,405 posts, read 24,998,053 times
Reputation: 16122
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
There isn't really a way to fit all that info on a small screen. On most you can zoom out but at some point you're gonna be out so far what you're seeing isn't going to be very useful. With a garmin you can tap the upper left corner and it will cycle through upcoming turns, but I know of no way to see the entire planned route for a trip that long.
yeah, thank you! that's what I thought, but thought perhaps not being to savvy with it...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 12:32 PM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,374 posts, read 11,286,586 times
Reputation: 4210
OK Dave and TekFreek, thanks for pointing that out to me.
I will really try to refrain from doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top