U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:05 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,286,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
There isn't really a way to fit all that info on a small screen. On most you can zoom out but at some point you're gonna be out so far what you're seeing isn't going to be very useful. With a garmin you can tap the upper left corner and it will cycle through upcoming turns, but I know of no way to see the entire planned route for a trip that long.
I guess it depends on the settings/capabilities of the particular programme.
Mine does show an initial screen which depicts the total route and it tells me how long my trip might take with regular traffic.

Once ready to travel, I do have to touch the arrow (bottom right).

The time to reach destination changes with my speed and the traffic density since it does know (when the info is *there*) the traffic situation. Often the Highway Patrol does not notify whatever or whomever about the traffic situation ...
When that info is available then the route changes if possible, and it reroutes me.

I can read the step by step instructions as mentioned above but I really do not see a reason to do so.

So ... , is there a setting somewhere that may show the whole route on some screen ?

One thing was interesting when I made this example.
Going by train or bus it would take almost 2 days, and 3 days by bicycle ?
Then I checked the route and it seems there is no direct bus or train route.
You have to go to San Francisco first !
Really ?
I know there is a bus to Las Vegas, and I know there is a bus from Las Vegas to Los Angeles.

Even more interesting is the detailed instruction.
The first instruction is : Walk 0,2 miles (about 4 minutes) to some kind of bus stop ...
I guess that is correct.

I am still amazed on how far we have come to get such detailed instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
I need a new GPS-route-start-screen.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 03-10-2016 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 01:09 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
OK Dave and TekFreek, thanks for pointing that out to me.
I will really try to refrain from doing that.
We're just havin some fun at Dudes expense

Old 03-10-2016, 01:20 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,286,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
We're just havin some fun at Dudes expense
Interesting that some quirks are never noted by the person who is doing that.

Note the *status* near my name, top left ...
I did take the exclamation mark out.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:21 PM

26,405 posts, read 24,998,053 times
Quote:
irman;
regarding your map feature, mine doesn't show that....unless maybe before talking now that I think of it, perhaps there is something I need to check before stating that mine doesn't show that....It shows a little car at the beginning of the route, and to take me thru a few states would take forever...but, maybe I should first check to see if there is another way to view it.

thanks for your trouble.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 899,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
regarding your map feature, mine doesn't show that....unless maybe before talking now that I think of it, perhaps there is something I need to check before stating that mine doesn't show that....It shows a little car at the beginning of the route, and to take me thru a few states would take forever...but, maybe I should first check to see if there is another way to view it.

thanks for your trouble.
You have a Garmin nuvi, correct? Which exact model (for example, mine is a 2495LMT) do you have? If you'll let me know, I think I can get you an answer to your question about seeing multi-state route, etc.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
You have a Garmin nuvi, correct? Which exact model (for example, mine is a 2495LMT) do you have? If you'll let me know, I think I can get you an answer to your question about seeing multi-state route, etc.
Mine is 2555 LMT and I love it!

Old 03-11-2016, 02:31 PM

28,643 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
OK Dave and TekFreek, thanks for pointing that out to me.
I will really try to refrain from doing that.
You don't have to. We can't help ourselves. Feel free to pick on me any time. It's part of keeping it lighthearted here.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:58 PM

1,084 posts, read 899,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Mine is 2555 LMT and I love it!
Cool, I bought my dad a 2595LMT as a gift a few years ago because I couldn't find the 2555LMT in stock anywhere at the time. The only difference is that the 2595LMT can be voice activated and it has Bluetooth for connecting a phone to make calls thru the unit. He will never use either of those features, so the 2555LMT would have been perfect....and about $50 cheaper if I could have found one!

My 2495LMT is identical his 2595LMT except mine has a 4.3" display and his (and yours) has a 5.0" display. I don't need the Bluetooth because I already have it in my car, but I have started training myself to use the voice commands. It's actually funny because it requires you to choose a "password" to activate Voice Command. They encourage you to pick something that you won't say accidentally or wouldn't say regularly. I'm a big fan of the show Supernatural and the brothers on that show have a code word that they use on the phone as a distress call or warning....so I used their word- "Poughkeepsie". So I have to say "Poughkeepsie" out loud to get it to go to Voice Command....

Anyway, I think I have the answer to your earlier question. After you choose 'Where To?' and enter or select your destination, it goes to a map screen and a green bar at the top shows 'Acquiring Satellites' and/or Calculating x%. After it has finished calculating the route, it shows something like 'Continue on Main Street North" or something similar, then it shows each turn as you you approach, etc. All you have to do is tap that green 'text bar' at the top of the map and it will show you every single turn for your entire route. My screen is a little smaller than yours, but it shows four turns on a screen, then you press the Down Arrow to see the next set of four and over again and again until it reaches your last turn and destination. It also shows the distance (in ft or miles) and the direction (right, left) of each turn.

Is that what you were looking for?

Old 03-11-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
IGoZoom;

All you have to do is tap that green 'text bar' at the top of the map and it will show you every single turn for your entire route. My screen is a little smaller than yours, but it shows four turns on a screen, then you press the Down Arrow to see the next set of four and over again and again until it reaches your last turn and destination. It also shows the distance (in ft or miles) and the direction (right, left) of each turn.

Wow!!!! I didn't know that, will have to try that, thank you!!!!!

Old 10-25-2016, 05:26 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,091,615 times
Quote:
As long as the Garmin works, it does work.
We did have one ... but why use a Garmin when my cell phone does the same thing ?

A regular (real = your term) GPS gets its signals or input from the same satellites as my phone !
So how can be it be stronger ??
A dedicated GPS does NOT get its signals from the same source as your cell phone.

Your cell phone uses 4G service and won't get a signal at all if out of range of cell phone towers. No nearby towers = no cell service, including GPS information.

A dedicated GPS uses channels dedicated to, well, GPS devices. No cell towers needed. They actually are getting their signals directly from a satellite, where your cell phone has to go from the satellite through a tower to be rebroadcast to you. The main reason for that is so that your usage is easier to monitor, control, and monetize. EG, its mostly so they can charge you mo' bettah and so they can maintain individual access to users who, say, missed a payment.

The direct-to-satellite link in a GPS also has associated costs, but that is built in to your purchase price - the GPS manufacturers pay for those services and add that cost to the cost of the unit. Also, unless you are out of range of a satellite - say, underground or in some really odd corner of the world - you are unlikely to lose access to the GPS information. There are a TON of ways that GPS satellite information is utilized, including for pin-point planting in commercial agriculture. They actually use GPS information to automate several agricultural functions. So obviously this is going to work in rural areas, LOL!

Many governments have strong reasons to keep GPS services up and running as well, and believe it or not, not all of those reasons have much to do with the military.

My data phone costs me around $500 or $600 a year. I barely use it - except for GPS. And Google Maps has gone insane in the last 9 months or so. Soooo many problems and issues.

So $300 - $350 once every few years for a nice big 7" screen-having dedicated GPS device with lifetime map updates is a bargain in comparison.

Thus (even ignoring inflation for service costs and deflation as new tech becomes cheaper) I spend $350 once in say 7 to 10 years, compared to somewhere between five or six thousand dollars for cell phone service I don't need or want in the same time period.

It's an easy choice. But even if I were planning to keep the data phone, I'd still go with a dedicated GPS device because all the mapping aps I've tried, including Google maps of late, Fail big time, in addition to the mechanical problems of trying to run GPS mapping software on a toy device like a cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or