U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:24 AM

26,403 posts, read 24,980,161 times

Advertisements

Hi There,
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 2555 remote GPS back and 2014. Loved it....and the updates worked fine.

However, Last year, when I went to visit my son, it took me off highway, onto a back road on the way out, and twice on the way back...honestly, they were beautiful scenery roads, but....?????

so, I tried to update the maps last week, which I do every year, and it won't work?

So, I'm going to try to call Tech support, but, in the meantime, I've been looking at other GPS..and reading reviews...

Most of them have some bad reviews/complaints which are warrented?

do you have a mobile GPS and if so what kind, and what do you or don't you like about it?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
Your Nuvi isn't even 2 years old? You're crazy to give up on that.
It's not even close to outdated yet...

What happens when you try to update the maps?

Old 02-18-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Your Nuvi isn't even 2 years old? You're crazy to give up on that.
It's not even close to outdated yet...

What happens when you try to update the maps?
Nothing that is the point...never had a problem before, and I loved it, until it took me off road.
So I was thinking, when I update the maps this year, it might correct the problem.
I hooked it up to update the maps and nothing happens...
So, I'm going to call their IT people on Sat. Morning, but I've read a whole lot of reviews about how bad Garmin Express is...and I'm sorry, I meant I bought the GPS in 2011...so sorry...
I'm multi-tasking here....

I loved the thing, it took me across country and worked fine...but...now having this problem.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:17 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
So you have the Nuvi plugged into your computer, you run the garmin software and check for updates, does it show that updates are available? Does it not download? Does it not show updates?

"nothing" doesn't tell us a whole lot.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
So you have the Nuvi plugged into your computer, you run the garmin software and check for updates, does it show that updates are available? Does it not download? Does it not show updates?

"nothing" doesn't tell us a whole lot.
sorry Dave
yes, it is plugged into my computer, and before I plug it in, it shows that there are updates...but then I plug it in and it doesn't download....? Never had this problem before, it was working perfectly until last year when it took me off road...?

Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 AM

Mine won't download just by connecting the Nuvi, I have to click the update or install button.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Mine won't download just by connecting the Nuvi, I have to click the update or install button.
I do that, again I apologize for not being more specific....but it just doesn't do anything...
I've read there are a lot of people having trouble with the Garmin Express....

Old 02-18-2016, 10:48 AM

Maybe try uninstalling, reboot, and reinstall Garmin Express?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Maybe try uninstalling, reboot, and reinstall Garmin Express?
yes, I thought of that....but before I do anything, I'm going to try and remember to call their IS tech support this weekend...a few of those reviews I read said, they got some excellent help...so....
Thanks Dave...

Old 02-18-2016, 12:59 PM

5,370 posts, read 11,275,577 times
I am pretty sure you have a decent Android *smart* phone ??

If *yes*, then install *GPS Waypoint Navigator*.
Pay your 9 dollar cost one time and get updates for the rest of your phone life ...
Worldwide maps !!! It uses many different map systems, all up to *you* which one you would like to use !!
Garmin is on the way out for the *little* guy. Give up on it and use your phone more !!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...avigator&hl=en

Important (at least for me)
Customer service is supreme, One email to the developer and you get personal e-mail back.
Even more important !! The developer is willing to listen to your suggestions !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or