U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:25 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well my mom/dad have the latest one and I think the sound on it is aweful!! (Heavy toned down bass)

No bass/treble controls so your forced to listen to it as they wanted you to...
That's what our neighbors sounded like. Sitting at the other end of a big family room/nook playing cards and hearing little or no treble. Sort of a muffled sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 12:26 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,283,113 times
My friend Bill's 40-year-old 901's sound fine.

My friend Joe's new surround system isn't particularly impressive.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:41 PM

495 posts, read 365,347 times
As many have stated, Bose products are generally overpriced and offer a low sound quality to dollar ratio.

If you take any segment of their product line, there are many competing products that sound much better for half the price. Competing products priced similarly to Bose sound much, much, much better.

Their flagship 901's were interesting at the time as they were unique in their design approach. For those who don't know, imagine a box the size of a microwave, shaped like "home plate". Speakers fire both forward and backward toward the wall the listener is facing. Opinions ranged from love them to hate them (and rightfully so). If you position them in the wrong spot one would experience alignment issues. Frequencies from rear speakers would arrive via wall reflections at a much different time than the front speakers (which really mucks up the listening experience).

In the correct spot they would produce an enveloping wall to wall sound but again, many open baffle, multi or omni directional designs can sound much better than the 901's do with less of an investment.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:57 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,194,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
My friend Bill's 40-year-old 901's sound fine.

My friend Joe's new surround system isn't particularly impressive.
About 40 years ago I built a pair of 901s for myself. The cost was @ 1/4 the retail price of a pair of "real" 901s and mine used much better quality drivers than Bose used. For the equalization I used a Soundcraftman 10 band equalizer/preamp combo coupled with a Dynaco amp. Great sound on a budget and for even better sound I used some of the money I saved on a pair of M&K 12" Goliath subwoofers and a pair of piezo tweeters to augment what the 901s lacked in the bass and upper range.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:51 PM

10,121 posts, read 14,354,167 times
Hate is too strong

Expensive and arrogant a bit........sure

Old 03-23-2016, 12:23 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,735,305 times
Yeah TECK ya could be right bud

Old 03-23-2016, 01:40 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,187,352 times
Default a good link that says it all

Dr. Amar Bose Dead at 83 | Analog Planet

Old 06-10-2016, 05:19 PM

8,666 posts, read 2,976,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I never understood the bad rap that Bose gets. I have several Bose products and I'm more than satisfied with them.

I have the Bose sound link mini 2 that I keep on my desk at work and have to say that there's no other bluetooth speaker this size and within this price range that sounds better, and believe me I've tried them all. Some may play louder but they don't posses the same sound quality.

I have the Bose Soundlink 3 portable bluetooth speaker for when I travel or for the beach and I can't count the number of compliments I've received on how well it sounds given its size and price point. Yes the JBL Xtreme sounds better overall but at the cost of having to lug something around more than twice the size of the Bose. With my Bose SL3 I simply slip it into a laptop sleeve and off I go. Very compact and easy to travel with.

I have the Bose Soundtouch 20 wireless music system for the home that connects wireless via wifi or bluetooth to my music sources and I have to say that this system sounds absolutely fantastic for a shelf speaker. Sonos sounds great as well but you lose the bluetooth feature for the times you want to stream audio sources that are not downloaded to the app.

When it comes to sound per size and cost, Bose can't be beat. Sure you can buy cheaper systems that sound better but that are also much larger and not as pleasing to the eye. I'm not that much of an audiophile to make that sacrifice though.

Another thing about Bose that I love is their customer service and how they stand behind their product. I had an older portable bluetooth Bose sound link 2 that no longer held an adequate charge after 4yrs of service. Took it to a bose store with the original receipt and they gave me a $150 credit towards the purchase of the new model. Don't know too many companies that would do that.

I kind of think of Bose as the low end of high end.

That's not really the criticism that it sounds like though.

I think a lot of people get introduced to the world of higher end (or at least better than the average crap) audio by their first experience with Bose products.

Old timers like me will probably remember that as their first time hearing a pair of original 901 series back in the 1970's.

The world was never the same afterwards, and that was a very good thing.

I say kudos to Bose.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:32 PM

4,696 posts, read 2,431,428 times
I had a Honda Accord with Bose speakers (don't know what kind) and they were amazing! When I replaced that car I was distraught at having to leave those speakers... Have never had a car since with speakers that come close. Those speakers actually changed the way I listened to music. Sigh...I have a new car and the system is awful. What to do? I really need a good system.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:41 PM

8,666 posts, read 2,976,680 times
A few years back, I was clearing out some old equipment and decided to put a pair of Bose 201series on Craigslist along with a pair of Paradigm Export Bi-Polar towers.

The 201's sold for asking price on the first day.
I still have the Paradigm's.....cant seem to give them away....and the sound quality is worlds above the Bose 201's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics