U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:57 AM

5,068 posts, read 6,097,414 times

Advertisements

I never understood the bad rap that Bose gets. I have several Bose products and I'm more than satisfied with them.

I have the Bose sound link mini 2 that I keep on my desk at work and have to say that there's no other bluetooth speaker this size and within this price range that sounds better, and believe me I've tried them all. Some may play louder but they don't posses the same sound quality.

I have the Bose Soundlink 3 portable bluetooth speaker for when I travel or for the beach and I can't count the number of compliments I've received on how well it sounds given its size and price point. Yes the JBL Xtreme sounds better overall but at the cost of having to lug something around more than twice the size of the Bose. With my Bose SL3 I simply slip it into a laptop sleeve and off I go. Very compact and easy to travel with.

I have the Bose Soundtouch 20 wireless music system for the home that connects wireless via wifi or bluetooth to my music sources and I have to say that this system sounds absolutely fantastic for a shelf speaker. Sonos sounds great as well but you lose the bluetooth feature for the times you want to stream audio sources that are not downloaded to the app.

When it comes to sound per size and cost, Bose can't be beat. Sure you can buy cheaper systems that sound better but that are also much larger and not as pleasing to the eye. I'm not that much of an audiophile to make that sacrifice though.

Another thing about Bose that I love is their customer service and how they stand behind their product. I had an older portable bluetooth Bose sound link 2 that no longer held an adequate charge after 4yrs of service. Took it to a bose store with the original receipt and they gave me a $150 credit towards the purchase of the new model. Don't know too many companies that would do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:11 AM

14,931 posts, read 22,814,833 times
I don't hate them, just wouldn't waste money on them. Cheap drivers with nifty enclosures, fine for some people, but I prefer vifa and focal drivers, klipsch, etc.

Bluetooth speakers? Not my thing. Maybe one day. Would prefer people to wear headphones than pollute the air with their music.

As far as sources go, I like oppo.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 AM

11,257 posts, read 44,311,975 times
(you've got this posted on the Automotive thread, too ...)

my $0.02 worth on Bose "sound" ...

it's very subjective how different people hear "music" and what they are seeking to find in the performance.

Much will also depend upon what you consider "music" ... electronic noise for some is "music" to their ears while it's a "nails screeching upon chalkboard" experience for others ... to the point of pain or other physical discomfort.

Apparently, Bose products satisfy your requirements for "music" at a price you're happy to pay. So be it.

But for many others, Bose don't come anywhere close to what is enjoyable about the musical listening experience.

It's not a question of "hate". I just wouldn't buy what Bose offers for my musical listening enjoyment.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
(you've got this posted on the Automotive thread, too ...)

my $0.02 worth on Bose "sound" ...

it's very subjective how different people hear "music" and what they are seeking to find in the performance.

Much will also depend upon what you consider "music" ... electronic noise for some is "music" to their ears while it's a "nails screeching upon chalkboard" experience for others ... to the point of pain or other physical discomfort.

Apparently, Bose products satisfy your requirements for "music" at a price you're happy to pay. So be it.

But for many others, Bose don't come anywhere close to what is enjoyable about the musical listening experience.

It's not a question of "hate". I just wouldn't buy what Bose offers for my musical listening enjoyment.
Yes. Its what led me to create a topic about it in the correct forum section.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:44 PM

5,669 posts, read 5,269,680 times
"Better Sound Through Marketing"

I had Quietcomfort 2s, which were a ridiculously overpriced xmas gift. When I first got them, after doing about ten hours of burn-in, I tried them with some familiar music and they sounded very blah, particularly compared to the much better alternatives I already had. I thought it was a bit disappointing, but they probably only cost $60 so it's okay... NOPE, I went and checked and saw they were $300!

However, over the years they did get quite a bit of use. They were VERY comfortable, and the congested and uninvolving sound and lack of bass or treble extension were perfect for work where you just want background sound (as opposed to active listening). The isolation and noise canceling helped at work too. They were never worth $300 but they found their niche.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:48 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,234,088 times
I'm sure the equipment sounds fine to you, but the simple fact is that they spend an enormous about of money on marketing. That cost is recouped by the end consumer. It's also a known fact that bigger is generally better for sound equipment (especially when it comes to drivers) with few exceptions, and I've never understood the need for tiny (and tinny) satellite speakers. They appeal to a select group of uneducated consumers that buy into the Bose hype that don't mind paying a premium for mediocre products. If you do any amount of research and find unbiased tests, they fail to deliver in a performance to price ratio. Period.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
"Better Sound Through Marketing"

I had Quietcomfort 2s, which were a ridiculously overpriced xmas gift. When I first got them, after doing about ten hours of burn-in, I tried them with some familiar music and they sounded very blah, particularly compared to the much better alternatives I already had. I thought it was a bit disappointing, but they probably only cost $60 so it's okay... NOPE, I went and checked and saw they were $300!

However, over the years they did get quite a bit of use. They were VERY comfortable, and the congested and uninvolving sound and lack of bass or treble extension were perfect for work where you just want background sound (as opposed to active listening). The isolation and noise canceling helped at work too. They were never worth $300 but they found their niche.
If its merely "better sound through marketing", why is the average consumer (not audiophile) blown away when they here the sound that comes out of these speakers given their size. I doubt millions of consumers are lying to themselves and forking over hundreds/thousands of dollars for a product that they feel sounds subpar but got sucked in by "marketing".

Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,772,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I never understood the bad rap that Bose gets. I have several Bose products and I'm more than satisfied with them.

I have the Bose sound link mini 2 that I keep on my desk at work and have to say that there's no other bluetooth speaker this size and within this price range that sounds better, and believe me I've tried them all. Some may play louder but they don't posses the same sound quality.

I have the Bose Soundlink 3 portable bluetooth speaker for when I travel or for the beach and I can't count the number of compliments I've received on how well it sounds given its size and price point. Yes the JBL Xtreme sounds better overall but at the cost of having to lug something around more than twice the size of the Bose. With my Bose SL3 I simply slip it into a laptop sleeve and off I go. Very compact and easy to travel with.

I have the Bose Soundtouch 20 wireless music system for the home that connects wireless via wifi or bluetooth to my music sources and I have to say that this system sounds absolutely fantastic for a shelf speaker. Sonos sounds great as well but you lose the bluetooth feature for the times you want to stream audio sources that are not downloaded to the app.

When it comes to sound per size and cost, Bose can't be beat. Sure you can buy cheaper systems that sound better but that are also much larger and not as pleasing to the eye. I'm not that much of an audiophile to make that sacrifice though.

Another thing about Bose that I love is their customer service and how they stand behind their product. I had an older portable bluetooth Bose sound link 2 that no longer held an adequate charge after 4yrs of service. Took it to a bose store with the original receipt and they gave me a $150 credit towards the purchase of the new model. Don't know too many companies that would do that.
I disagree that there is none better. There are many portable BT speakers that are at the same level or better than the Bose at a much lower price point OR represent a much better VALUE than the Bose.

The fact that the average consumer is happy with Bose's product is just fine but to espouse it as the best is probably what the flak is all about. This is akin to the Apple hate.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:03 PM

5,669 posts, read 5,269,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
If its merely "better sound through marketing", why is the average consumer (not audiophile) blown away when they here the sound that comes out of these speakers given their size. I doubt millions of consumers are lying to themselves and forking over hundreds/thousands of dollars for a product that they feel sounds subpar but got sucked in by "marketing".
Yah, sure, marketing has never convinced anyone that a product was subjectively superior when it objectively wasn't. It's never convinced anyone to pay more for nothing but a name or an impressively polished ad.

Look, at a conceptual level every consumer purchases that which best meets his or her needs or wants -- best marginal value for any given price point. So on that level, each economizing individual makes the best choice for themselves.

In practice, nuh-uh.

If you like it, that's good for you. I'm sure the acoustimass or whatever they call it nowadays is superior to the utility speakers built into thin-screen televisions these days. I happen to think there are much better alternatives at much better prices.

Beats are another triumph of marketing over engineering, in my opinion. So are most Harleys. And there are really countless examples in every facet of life. The crap music that's popular and makes lots of money does that primarily due to marketing.

Stuff that gets marketed like crazy is visible, easy to find, meets with the approval of the spouse and friends, probably shows up in Consumer Reports, and there's strength in numbers. So, one marginal benefit of Bose might be that you don't have to do much shopping or critical thinking or regular thinking or listening or traveling around to auditon stuff or reading enthusiast sites, etc. Just like I'm not a vacuum cleaner enthusiast and just went for the Eureka Boss, because it was easy, your average mainstreamer who wants a "good" system doesn't have to go very far or work very hard to find Bose. And I understand that. Doing a bunch of deep digging into vacuum cleaners wasn't my bag (no pun intended) -- BUT, I'm well aware there ARE better vacuums and better vacuum values, and that I just went for something easy, mainstream, boring, visible. But I won't do that for cars, motorcycles, computers, audio equipment, video equipment, cameras, art supplies, cuisine choices, travel destinations, etc.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:06 AM

3,269 posts, read 4,895,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Beats are another triumph of marketing over engineering, in my opinion.
Not just your opinion. Thousands of people feel this way. Beats, LOL. What a joke. All I can do is LOL. An expert once physically deconstructed a Beats product and the final verdict was that the brand saw success only because of marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics