U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:52 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,745,742 times

Advertisements

OP,

I bought from accesories4less before. I also bought refurbished. That was 6-7 years ago and my receiver still runs like a champ with my tv room. I take my chances with an authorized dealer over a non authorized user. It's not getting a good product of the bat or not, it's what happens 6-8 months down the line. Unless you can get 3rd party warranties to cover non authorized dealer.

Denon, Onkyo, and Harmon Kardon are not what they use to be. Their quality are no living up to the rep it once had. Of course, with electronic, nothing is perfect but it seems Yamaha gets the least amount of complaints. They tend to be more reliable from what I've read in the past.

Remember, if you are going to spend good money on a receiver, make sure the speakers are worthy of that money being spent on the receiver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 02:33 PM

102 posts, read 65,496 times
I bought a Sony 5.2 receiver from Walmart, (I know "lol Walmart?!"). It's a pretty decent receiver for a good price. Since I have a 5.1 set up it's perfect for me including the HDMI hook ups. I just recently bought a Kilpsch 12" subwoofer and a 5.0 speaker set probably cost more than the dang receiver itself and they all sound great, took a while to figure out the crossover settings and other things. I recently looked at the receivers a lot of places like Best Buy and Fry's Electronics have these Sony 7.1 receivers but I don't have room for two extra speakers. Do some research and read some reviews, they were very helpful when I was choosing my receiver. Also to top it off I own a Sony 48 inch TV and they play well together, when I turn off the TV it turns off the receiver as well. That's just my two cents.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:14 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
7 channel receivers do not necessarily need to have 7 speakers hooked up. If you just hook up 5 then that is fine then they will work as 5. Frankly there is very little 7 channel content (movies, DVD's blurays etc) available. You can upmix stereo to work over 7 channels (or 5) but that is not true 7 channel content.

Probably TMI
Ultimate surround sound guide: Different formats explained | Digital Trends

Old 03-29-2016, 11:22 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,745,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonBear View Post
I bought a Sony 5.2 receiver from Walmart, (I know "lol Walmart?!"). It's a pretty decent receiver for a good price. Since I have a 5.1 set up it's perfect for me including the HDMI hook ups. I just recently bought a Kilpsch 12" subwoofer and a 5.0 speaker set probably cost more than the dang receiver itself and they all sound great, took a while to figure out the crossover settings and other things. I recently looked at the receivers a lot of places like Best Buy and Fry's Electronics have these Sony 7.1 receivers but I don't have room for two extra speakers. Do some research and read some reviews, they were very helpful when I was choosing my receiver. Also to top it off I own a Sony 48 inch TV and they play well together, when I turn off the TV it turns off the receiver as well. That's just my two cents.
In general, your speakers are suppose to cost more than your receiver. When it comes to sound, speakers are the biggest factor. In my system, my receiver is actually the cheapest, was under $300; a refurbished Harman Kardon 7.1 receiver. My subwoofers and speakers are all above the $1K or more range.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:37 AM

16,723 posts, read 29,308,436 times
Just look at Crutchfield for ideas about receivers and speakers. You don't have to buy from them if you don't want, but they have a lot of information on how to setup audio and video systems, and it's free

Receivers:
Home Theater Receivers at Crutchfield.com

When it comes to speakers, the sky is the limit:
Home Speakers at Crutchfield.com

Old 04-07-2016, 09:30 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
It may be too late OP, but I saw this in passing.

Yamaha RX A1040 7 2 Network Aventage AV Receiver Wi Fi Airplay | eBay

It's a RX-A1040, Mfr Refurbushed at $569.99+35.29 shipping = 605.28 w/1yr warranty. Not bad IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or