Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:48 AM
#41 #41 started this thread

126 posts, read 255,917 times

Advertisements

My old Denon is dead so I need something new. Right now I only run 5.1 and really don't think I'll go to 7.1 or atmos, etc.

I don't think I will go Denon this time. Had 2 Denons so far. First had to be serviced under warranty and this one was barely out of warranty. They were both great sounding but I'd like to switch things up.

Looked the the yamahas and am strongly considering them. The RX-A1050 is at the top of my list right now. The RX-A2050 is a bit more than I can spend and I don't think it will fit in my AV rack. The RX-A1050 is going to push it.

As I said, I doubt I'd do Atmos but I really don't know much about it. I am guessing it would involve ceiling speakers. That would be alot of trouble for me to run wires, etc. This is just in a typical living room, not a dedicated home theater room.

Was looking to spend around $1000. Actually saw the RX-A1050 at accessories4less.com for a great price. I don't really mind refurbished since I get a year warranty and save some $.

And yes, I've scoured AVSForum. Just thought I could get another opinion over here.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 12:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Ebay is your best bet. Those are more high end units than I would consider but I guess you are more of an audiophile. The RX-V779 or even the 679 would be good enough for me. I do not need 7 channel either. Check the yamaha web site for the complete run down and then search on ebay. You can also setup a search alert which will email you on a regular basis when new deals come up. I like refurbs as well and have good luck with them. You could get a slightly older model but I would go for the latest since it already comes with all the bells and whistles, mainly bluetooth. They all have wifi built in these days.

BTW I am kind of brand loyal and have been for many years now. Google will turn up more buying choices. I have not seen some the models that you mentioned as refurbs. A new 1050 will run you about $900 on ebay.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:32 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
AVSForum is a great starting point. I'm surprised you've had so much trouble with Denon. I've got an AVR-1911 that has never been a bit of trouble. Do you run some sort of line conditioner or UPS? You may want to make sure you have adequate ventilation as well.

It's hard to get a high end AVR without at least 7.1 now, but you know it's no big deal to go 5.1 on that, right? My current theater is in a small enclosed basement space, and I'm only running 5.1 at this time with no issues.

I'm sorry to say, but if I was at your price point (I'm more like half of that) I'd be looking at anther Denon. I really like the AVR-X3200W with 4K Ultra HD and 3D Pass-Through. It's future proof for a good long while, and it can be found cheaper than the Yamaha you mentioned. Video pass through on Denons is very good and nothing does music better in my opinion, and it includes MultEQ XT which is superior to many out there.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:42 PM

I'm a little leery of eBay. From what I can tell there is no authorized dealer on eBay (at least for Yamaha).

Robert - I forgot to mention I'd like a phono input on the receiver. I think that means I'd have to step up to the x4200 or maybe an x4100 refurb.

Also, you bring up a point I forgot to mention. From what I've read ypao is not quite as good as audessey xt32. Not sure how it compares to the lower audessey offering. Any personal experience??

Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
#41, I wanted a AV/receiver that had phono in for a turntable. Did a lot of research to find that there are four companies that have receivers with phono in and they are only in higher cost receivers. I ended up buying a Onkyo TX-NR626 a couple of years ago.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:26 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
I really like my Yamaha. I got it from Best Buy a few years back. Sounds good with inputs from an xbox360, dvd player, ion turntable, and cd player. The included radio sounds great even though its difficult to tune it. Too much button pushing. You cant use the knob to tune the radio, just the buttons.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #41 View Post
I'm a little leery of eBay. From what I can tell there is no authorized dealer on eBay (at least for Yamaha).

Robert - I forgot to mention I'd like a phono input on the receiver. I think that means I'd have to step up to the x4200 or maybe an x4100 refurb.

Also, you bring up a point I forgot to mention. From what I've read ypao is not quite as good as audessey xt32. Not sure how it compares to the lower audessey offering. Any personal experience??
You want an authorized dealer but are willing to buy refurbished? I have seen many factory refurbished units. There may well be an authorized dealer on ebay for Yamaha but I had to ask why you insist on one?

There's absolutely no reason to be leery of ebay. You may or may not be too familiar with the ebay buying process? It is painless. They would not be in business if it wasn't.

Everything is warrantied and warranties are clearly stated on each listing as are return polices. If for some reason the buyer does not honor said warranty, ebay will step in and correct the problem. It has happened with me on occasion. I have bought many items including two Yamaha receivers and have never had a problem in 15 years time..

The main reason to buy there is price, if there are no savings then don't bother.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:46 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Agree. Ridiculous to be leery of Ebay. I've been buying stuff on Ebay for....longer then I care to admit.
Every seller is rated. If you are even a little leery, don't buy something from anyone rated less then 99% positive.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:47 AM

Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices! sells yamaha, denon and other products as refurbished and they come with a factory warranty. It's typically only one year instead of three but it is a warranty. They are authorized dealers for the manufacturers.

I am not affiliated with A4L, I heard about them years ago on AVS forum and you can certainly search their forums and read about them yourself.

I did email 2 ebay sellers about the yamaha receiver and both replied and said it comes with the full 3 year warranty. BUt it seems odd they don't mention that in their add. That's why it seems a bit leery to me. I've purchased numerous items off of ebay and never been burned (knock on wood). SO, I won't rule it out but I want to do some more research.

I do appreciate the advice. Just need to decide if I want to go with yamaha (YPAO)???

edit - Looking again, I do see another seller that lists the warranty. It would still be ~$100 more but that's not too bad,

Either

Old 03-27-2016, 06:14 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170
AVSForum is a great starting point.
Indeed it is.....An excellent VBB site!! (I have been on that site many years (Since David Ran it))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics