Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM

46 posts, read 133,675 times

Advertisements

I was quite disappointed after my expensive Sony LCD failed in 3 yrs - tried to reach out to Sony to see if they can help share some repair cost or any other help - not much luck so wanted to share my experience with the city-data community

After a lot of research found that LCD failure is very common and now the average life of these expensive LCD-TV sets is around 2_5 yrs so one should plan accordingly when making this investment - 2 options to consider
1. Either buy an extended warranty till 5 yrs if u buy/pay for a "Premium" brand
2. Or buy a less expensive TV so that u r not hurt when replacing the TV

Biggest let-down is that we pay premium for Sony products to have a decent pdt life and Sony might be aware that the new TV sets are breaking more often than generally so they should be willing to help out customers with early component failures as this way Sony can learn to make better products and keep loyal customers but I guess it good for them as they can sell more sets often.

Please share your experience/reliability with other TV brands as I have to look for a new TV now :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:10 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,832,743 times
I bought my Vizio 32" plasma TV back in 2008. I bought a 3 year extended warranty through walmart with it as well. After about 2 years the TV would turn itself off occasionally. I brought it in and everything was covered under the warranty. Ever since, I have not had a single issue at all. Its been quite an excellent TV, especially considering how often I leave it on.

Sorry your experience wasn't quite as pleasant.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
The premium you're paying is for the sony name, it in no way equates to the quality of what you're buying, sony has been off my list for quite some time for various reasons. My last 3 TV's have been Vizio. The first one I bought (a 32") lasted me 5 years, I sold it a year ago for about half of what I paid for it and it's still going strong for the new owner.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The premium you're paying is for the sony name, it in no way equates to the quality of what you're buying, sony has been off my list for quite some time for various reasons. My last 3 TV's have been Vizio. The first one I bought (a 32") lasted me 5 years, I sold it a year ago for about half of what I paid for it and it's still going strong for the new owner.
You sold a 5 year old TV for half of what you paid? Given that new ones were probably around the same price as your 5 year old, who allowed you to screw them?

That's a rhetorical question, BTW. With the prices dropping as much as they have over the last few years, I can't imagine why someone would pay that much for an old TV.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:36 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Buy a Samsung 7000/8000 series.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
We had a bad experience with Toshiba 32" a couple years ago. It lasted just past the warranty period and started having shut off troubles. We 'lived with it' for a while then it died totally. We later found that Toshiba had extended the warranty on this TV/problem (great...sorta). Of course we found out by accident through the Internet and weren't notified by the company.

When we finally contacted Toshiba, we were out of luck, since it was just past the extended period, and they told us it was on us to take to distant service center paying estimated diagnostic fee of $100-$125 IIRC, then repair would be?? This was for a model/problem which seemed to be common and had driven the warranty extension to begin with. I could be diagnosed over the phone. By then, a similar TV cost $300 or so (now it is maybe $250) , so I added them to my 'do not buy from' list and the TV sits in the 'maybe I will try to fix it' pile.....soon to be in a landfill.

Bottom line for me was they could have stepped up on offering to help more on what was a known defect and didn't. I would have been content with a rebuilt or replacement part offer or similar.

In the meantime, ee have had good luck with a small LG (4 years) and a BIG Samsung (2+ years) and recently bought a few Vizios, whose reliability is yet to be determined....the big difference these days seems to be that few TVs, especially smaller sizes, are built to be or worth repairing. All part of the throw away society/world. YMMV of course but this is some anecdotal info

(If you want to minimize disappointments, consider spending some time reading online reviews of the brand/model you are considering. It isn't 'perfect since some reviews are fake and others exaggerated...BUT... it is better than just buying by look or price or the word of someone who may not have ever owned one.

IMO, buying a 'name' brand doesn't often result in anything better these days in electronics, especially if you pay a large premium. Friend #1 recently inherited a few year old &fancy-name& TV whose picture looks terrible to me, but friend#2 who gave it to him went out and bought TWO more new models of that brand....I trust they get better pictures, but will verify when I visit them.)

Old 06-30-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You sold a 5 year old TV for half of what you paid? Given that new ones were probably around the same price as your 5 year old, who allowed you to screw them?

That's a rhetorical question, BTW. With the prices dropping as much as they have over the last few years, I can't imagine why someone would pay that much for an old TV.
Actually I just looked up the receipt (yes I keep them all!) I paid 600, sold for 200, the buyer set the price, not me

Old 06-30-2012, 12:09 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Actually I just looked up the receipt (yes I keep them all!) I paid 600, sold for 200, the buyer set the price, not me
Well, that's a third, not about half, but in any event, you definitely got the better end of that deal.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Well, that's a third, not about half, but in any event, you definitely got the better end of that deal.
Thank you Einstein, excuse me for not checking my receipt before posting in order to be more accurate, it wasn't so important that I actually cared.

Last edited by NHDave; 06-30-2012 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
My first LCD TV was a Sharp 32" that I bought about 4 years ago and it is still working. I have a Sony 52" that is about 1 1/2 years old and still going strong. Believe it or not, we still have a Sony 27" Trinitron that still works. My wife loves this TV, but I can't stand to watch the picture quality (or lack of it) and can't wait until it dies (it is at least 13 years old)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics