U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 10:59 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,940,089 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if there's an 'economical' way to convert some programming that I've recorded to mp4 or compatible format or DVD.

In short, I've recorded some basketball games on my Optimum DVR and I would like to keep them (preferably in mp4/avi format). I'm not going to sell them and nobody would want to buy these anyway.

I've been reading that there's copy protection on the DVR which makes transferring to DVD or MP4 impossible, and there's ability to capture during playback maybe, but the talk was a bit over my head.

Can anybody tell me if it is possible.

Also, if it is not possible can somebody tell me a way where I could record programs in the future without going to my parent's basement and looking for my old VCR?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 02:12 PM

40,263 posts, read 41,823,633 times
DVD= the disc(files burned as data would be reference to the disc) or the standard(reference to authored DVD). These are two separate things.

MP4 = Video format

AVI = is just generic container file that can contain many types of video. It's kind of similar to zip file too package other files.

Assuming you can copy the file to a DVD and the standalone player supports MP4 nothing more to do. You never want to convert video unless you have too. Whether you can do that or not I have no idea.

DVD video itself is a standard that DVD players need to support. An authored DVD disc has a specific folder structure and the video/audio is in specific format. It supports menus , blah, blah, blah.... Even if you burned a video in the right format as data DVD it doesn't mean it will necessarily play.

That said manufactures add additional features that usually include playing videos burned as data DVD's and might include playing other video formats.

Quote:
and there's ability to capture during playback maybe,
In nutshell you would hook the DVR to a DVD recorder using the analog RCA jacks. This can be copy protected too however there are devices that can defeat it and some recording devices can care less.

The copy protection used for analog output is commonly called Macrovision but that is actually the company that patented it. It's a video error if you can believe it, it plays havoc with the gain control on VCR's. Modern digital recording devices actually have to detect it because they are unaffected by it. Some capture devices don't and device like a TBC will strip it before it gets to the recorder. TBC's are expensive though....

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-27-2016 at 02:21 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 09:48 AM

11,832 posts, read 13,968,972 times
In other words: Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-D-RW2-...s=dvd+recorder

One of those should work.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
In other words: Yes.

Amazon.com: Toshiba D-RW2 DVD Player/Recorder: Electronics

One of those should work.
It *may* work. If the files are copyrighted and you are using the analog output the DVR may add the macrovision video error. If the digital recorder respects that copy mechanism you'll have an unwatchable video. Most devices do this. You can even have home movies that have errors on them that will trip this.

The only way to get around it is device that sits between the player and recorder. The error resides in the overscan area of the video. They make cheap devices called DVD clarifies etc. that will notch out this area but they often notch out some of the legitimate video.

There is device called a TBC that is used for fixing timing issues unrelated to copy protection, if you have a VCR tape that cannot be fixed with tracking this will fix it. The copy protection is stripped during this process.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:45 PM

The Copy Protection bit is a little bit over blown. Most modern DVR's do not block you from recording shows you have saved on your DVR. DVD's and BluRays, absolfricckinglutely. DVR's? Not so much.

DVR for Optimum TV: Copying Recorded Programs to a VCR or DVD Recorder

Old 03-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The Copy Protection bit is a little bit over blown. Most modern DVR's do not block you from recording shows you have saved on your DVR. DVD's and BluRays, absolfricckinglutely. DVR's? Not so much.

DVR for Optimum TV: Copying Recorded Programs to a VCR or DVD Recorder
It's up to the broadcaster, they can set a copy protected flag if they want.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 AM

And I'm telling you, Coalman, as someone who has recorded a lot of DVR stuff onto DVD's: it's rare and getting rarer with the rise of streaming.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,747,082 times
Heres a good online site to convert files to other formats if Ya wanna try that Jobaba

www.online-convert.com

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or