Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 08:01 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,064 times

Advertisements

I am very computer savvy and build applications at my job, so I do not lack technical skills in general. But oh man, when I am done with work, I don't want to do the same stuff I just did all day. If I buy a smartwatch, I don't want to spend hours following incorrect directions just to set something up.

These things are supposed to be fun and make our lives easier.

Is there such a thing as a person for hire that does these things for you? I mean, can I walk into Best Buy and purchase a smartwatch and then pay them extra to set it up for me? That would be sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Linky:

Geek Squad Solution Central - Geek Squad

Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
They aren't.
Seriously? You want to pay someone to set up your smartwatch?
If you think setting up a smartwatch is hard you should not own one. Period.

Do you know how to pair a Bluetooth device? Do you know how long that takes?
That's about the extent of "setting up a smartwatch".
It's not like building applications so it's nothing like what you do all day.

But no...please pay Geek Squad $100 to do that for you. I'll do it for $60.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:15 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
They aren't.
Seriously? You want to pay someone to set up your smartwatch?
If you think setting up a smartwatch is hard you should not own one. Period.

Do you know how to pair a Bluetooth device? Do you know how long that takes?
That's about the extent of "setting up a smartwatch".
It's not like building applications so it's nothing like what you do all day.

But no...please pay Geek Squad $100 to do that for you. I'll do it for $60.
Skipped right over the link just to be condescending? No, not everyone is technologically literate to figure out all current technology. Best Buy (some) and a few other B&Ms will do it for around $40.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I am very computer savvy and build applications at my job, so I do not lack technical skills in general. But oh man, when I am done with work, I don't want to do the same stuff I just did all day. If I buy a smartwatch, I don't want to spend hours following incorrect directions just to set something up.

These things are supposed to be fun and make our lives easier.

Is there such a thing as a person for hire that does these things for you? I mean, can I walk into Best Buy and purchase a smartwatch and then pay them extra to set it up for me? That would be sweet.
Difficulty with Electronics = Inversely proportional with year you were born

Old 03-31-2016, 12:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
I tend to enjoy challenges like this myself, so I help friends out on occasion. Why not ask a technically inclined friend?

Old 03-31-2016, 04:52 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
In the past, I never could understand why my mother had issues with working vcr's and other new on the market electronics that I bought for her, then when I got into my 60's I finally understand how frustrating the new gadgets are, luckily I have a much younger wife who nowadays controls all the gadgets for me and teaches me how to work them. So my answer is that yes the gadgets are getting harder to work and the idiots who design them apparently do not understand that not everyone is as gadget smart as they apparently must be, but also, as we age, we probably do not have the patience to learn them and our brain is already too full to learn, well that is the story I am sticking too, when in my case it is probably the many lost brain cells, since many of them apparently can no longer find their way home to work the gadgets in my mind.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
You ever see the size of the manuals for some of these chronograph watches?

Old 04-01-2016, 12:15 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Here it is from Post #1: I don't want to spend hours following incorrect directions just to set something up.
This appears to be a personal story of yours that does match my story. None of the details match.
You said you didn't want to spend hours trying to figure something out...not that you already had.

If the entire point of your thread is: can I pay someone to help me, then yes, yes you can.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:40 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
I am not a dude.
As far as I am concerned, until proven otherwise, everyone on C-D is a fugly dude (like me)!

Quote:
I worked 14 hours today. If I want to pay someone to set up electronics for me, why should that irk anyone on CD? I am tired and do not feel like doing more work-like activities, and yes, what I am doing is strikingly like what I do for some of my work. Sifting through incorrect directions, doing Internet searches for correct directions, blah blah.
Dear imagine, you don't need a smartwatch, what you need is a Swedish Massage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You said you didn't want to spend hours trying to figure something out...not that you already had.
If the entire point of your thread is: can I pay someone to help me, then yes, yes you can.
I personally think she could have set up 5 smartwatches in the same time she spent on this thread but I don't dare say it out loud......oh cr@p, too late!

On a more serious note, I get what she is saying. Sorta like buying a luxurious car and looking for a chauffeur because you don't want to drive it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics