U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,015,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
The only reservations I have about LCD are the limited viewing angles and the possibility of dead pixels like on PCs/Laptops.

Are the processors just as fast with LCD regarding sports or other fast action that there will be no discernible difference? I read that LCD has a lag (or is that a 1st generation LCD?).
LCDs have a 'response time'

No current LCD has a response time of greater than 12ms. (thats milliseconds)

Check warranty info on dead pixels. Some say 1 is too many for their product, others require 10% dead or something.

As for viewing angle, LCDs have viewing angles of 140 degrees plus. Very rarely do I find myself having to move towards the center of mine as I sit at my PC and watch TV to the left of me.

Color reproduction, my crappy Sanyo hasn't failed yet in producing blacks or whites, etc. So, again i find little argument there, though then again I'm not looking for 50+ inch tvs, where its a large price tag attached.

Edit: I own 3 LCDs (2 monitors, 1 TV) and 1 laptop. I'm also a tech, so theres another 10+ monitors at work, all LCD.

Not a single dead pixel amongst all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,188,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
120HZ - I was "iffy" about this until Sunday. We were watching a Sony W3000 46" (60HZ) and I saw blurs when a man was being interviewed during the Daytona 500. It was his beard. Short hair, and it would blur and "jump" as he talked and moved his head. Ran over to the Samsung and saw no blur.
Maybe I have really sharp eyes or something, but at 60hz I can actually see the individual frames when there is a fair amount of motion, at least with progressive scan. I wonder if that would also be the case with interlacing. The thing about 120Hz though is that with movies the movement is so fluid that it almost looks like a live feed rather than film, and that totally throws off my perception of what a movie is supposed to "look" like.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 PM

16,324 posts, read 13,795,806 times
Why not include considering 1080P DLP LED rear projection sets in this discussion? You can buy a 61" DLP for about the same price as a 50" 1080P LCD or Plasma. Unlike LCD and Plasma, DLP LEDs always run cool. Touch the screen and it won't feel warm, so lower energy cost. No screen burn in is yet another good advantage. The only strong reason for not going with DLP is because you can't hang it on the wall. But I bet the majority of people don't hang their flat big screens on a wall.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 PM

DLPs have horrendously narrow viewing angles, and sometimes you lose color in the corners even if you're looking at it nearly straight-on. You couldn't give me one of those things.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 PM

16,324 posts, read 13,795,806 times
True, you hit upon another weakness of DLP's. The vertical viewing angle is worse than than the horizontal one, so when you're viewing a DLP while standing in the narrow aisle of a video store, the picture will dim out some and make you doubt the worth of the TV. But in the home you'll likely be watching the TV at ideal angles.

Overall, as long as DLP is cheaper at the biggest screen sizes than LCD and Plasma, I think the advantages of DLP out weight the bad.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,619,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why not include considering 1080P DLP LED rear projection sets in this discussion? You can buy a 61" DLP for about the same price as a 50" 1080P LCD or Plasma. Unlike LCD and Plasma, DLP LEDs always run cool. Touch the screen and it won't feel warm, so lower energy cost. No screen burn in is yet another good advantage. The only strong reason for not going with DLP is because you can't hang it on the wall. But I bet the majority of people don't hang their flat big screens on a wall.
Because he wants really nice picture quality, not washed out blurriness?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,891,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I am looking into another HDTV (High Definition Television). I currently have a Sony Plasma TV. I am looking into placing the one I have in the den, into the bedroom.

A lot of the regular "Technophile" sites (CNET or ZDNET) have outdated information regarding the latest trend in HD television.

I found the following site:
HDTV high definition plasma television - HD LCD TV

In general the purposes that I use a television is to watch sports, the news and DVDs (currently not a convert of HD or Blu-ray until the dust settles). Most channels that I watch broadcast in 720P or 1080i. We use a Nintendo Wii (for my child) and we do not have the HD gaming systems like Xbox 360 or PS3.

I am looking into 1080 P (realizing that only Blu-Ray utilizing this resolution).

The room in which I will view the TV has 12 foot ceilings and there is a lot of sunlight.

I want to view the TV from about 6- 8 feet away but also from a further distance (from the kitchen or eat in kitchen) at around 15-20 feet away also.I am considering something in the 47 to 50 inch range.

I am leaning towards Plasma HDTV, again. However, if there is compelling evidence to go with LCD, please advise me.

Any recommendations regarding manufacturers? or specific models?
Could someone please address if WHERE you buy the TV makes a difference OTHER than the obvious service question. For example, I saw a deeply discounted Pioneer 50" HDTV at Costco. Then when I went to a high-end stereo shop and asked about why their price was so much higher, the salesman stated, "Costco contracts with Pioneer, or someone else to produce the sets just for them and they do not have the same specs or quality. He said the sets did not have the same internal components that his Pioneer sets had. When I called Pioneer they said that Costco was not an "authorized dealer" so Pioneer would not stand behind the warranty. However, they would make no comment on whether the sets were different even though their name was on them.

WHO IS LYING? and HOW MUCH DOES LOCATION MATTER ON THE INITIAL PURCHASE?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM

I would hope Pioneer would know if Costco was an authorized dealer or not. Nonetheless, I can't imagine why they would not be (where the hell else would Costco be buying Pioneer TVs in bulk???), and I also have a hard time believing Pioneer would not honor their warranty if it was purchased at Costco. That's something I would look into a little further.

But back to the bigger point... It is true that manufacturers will often contract with large chain retailers to make a certain products for sale only through that retailer. (By way of illustration, I once bought a pair of Yokohama tires for my car that could only be purchased through Sears or NTB, which Sears owns). However, that product must have a separate product code if it is materially different from another model sold through other retailers. So the best way to make sure you're comparing apples to apples is to compare the model codes. If the model code XYZ123 is sold at both Costco and Crutchfield, then it's the same product with minor allowances for differences in materials (they may have more than one supplier for transistors, for instance, but they are functionally interchangeable). If you go to Costco (or their website) and get a product code that you cannot find in any other store, that's your clue that that it's a different product than what is sold in other stores, even if it has nominally the same features (same dimensions, same frame rate, etc.).

Old 02-22-2008, 03:18 PM

5,032 posts, read 14,673,362 times
I heard that Costco adds another year to the manufacturer's warranty. Costco didn't sell the Panasonic LCD that I wanted so I bought mine from Best Buy.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM

250 posts, read 856,970 times
You say the room you're going to put it in has "a lot" of sunlight. That in itself should make a pretty good case for LCD, which has a much brighter picture and is generally recognized as the choice for a bright sunlit room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics