U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:03 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,890,629 times

Advertisements

I have a four year old Pioneer Elite PRO-1000 plasma. Therefore am partial to plasma vs LCD. I am thinking about upgrading to a 60 inch Pioneer Elite Kuro and using my old 50 inch in another room. However, the price is near $7K.
Costco has a Panasonic 50 inch 1080p for $2300 that I could get new for the second room. Without all the technical analysis, how many of you think the Pioneer (blacker blacks, etc) picture quality is worth the significant difference in cost vs Panasonic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 05:52 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,434,759 times
Default high costs of Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Without all the technical analysis, how many of you think the Pioneer (blacker blacks, etc) picture quality is worth the significant difference in cost vs Panasonic?
From what I've read and heard, Pioneer blows every other plasma tv away. However, is it really worth $4,500 more? I guess that's a matter of how much disposable income one has and how picky one is with their display. It surely wouldn't be worth it for me, but maybe you can afford it?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe I have really sharp eyes or something, but at 60hz I can actually see the individual frames when there is a fair amount of motion, at least with progressive scan. I wonder if that would also be the case with interlacing. The thing about 120Hz though is that with movies the movement is so fluid that it almost looks like a live feed rather than film, and that totally throws off my perception of what a movie is supposed to "look" like.
You can turn it off for viewing movies.

Our Samsung 4761 (yes, we got it yesterday) has settings for High, Medium, Low, and Off for Auto Motion Plus 120Hz.

BTW this is an amazing television. 25k contrast and 8ms response. Blacks are black, colors are deep and rich. Glare is not as bad as our old tube-based unit. Built-in speakers are exceptional (need to get new speaker wire for our surround sound).

DLP: Someone mentioned this earlier. We were initially interested, but kept hearing from others (I'm a computer consultant and spend a lot of time in clients homes) that they were replacing those bulbs on a regular basis and it wasn't cheap. Every person I met with one said it was a mistake.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:42 PM

16,300 posts, read 13,787,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

DLP: Someone mentioned this earlier. We were initially interested, but kept hearing from others (I'm a computer consultant and spend a lot of time in clients homes) that they were replacing those bulbs on a regular basis and it wasn't cheap. Every person I met with one said it was a mistake.
You can easily get around bulb replacement by getting Samsung LED DLP's. They will likely last 10 years. I love my Samsung LED DLP set and strongly recommend them. I love how the LED's make them run cool. Touch the screen and it's almost cool to the touch. Try that with a LCD and especially a plasma screen. It means they require less power so your electric bill will be a bit lower. Many people overlook that they cost less than plasmas and LCD's, so more screen per buck.

The only up to date reasons to not like LED DLP is because their footprint is larger than plasmas and LCDs and variable brightness as you move about the TV that distracts many people, or in other words narrower ideal viewing angles.. Also the screen my dim out slightly in the corners even when sitting in front of the set.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,568,563 times
Well 5 weeks later and endless reviews read, I made my decision. I was almost convinced to get the 52" or 47" Sony XBR4 120 Hz LCD, then I considered the Sharp Acquos 52" 120 Hz LCD. I walked into a home theater specialty store and made the decision for plasma, instead.

I just bought the TV base which ran a little over $1k. I decided against mounting it - given the fact that the Wii, karaoke, PS3 (soon, very soon), and Digital Cable receiver will be attached.

A 50" Plasma by Panasonic that was just released this month.

Panasonic TH50PZ85U

TH-50PZ85U - VIERA¬ģ Plasma HDTVs - Shop and Compare at Panasonic

It has a native contrast ratio of 30,000 : 1 and a Dynamic of 1,000,000 : 1
1080P
100,000 hour life
Anti-reflective Filter (like the LCD)

The 850 series is coming in the Fall but I don't need the wireless connectivity or THX certified sound since it is going into the den.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We just bought a Samsung 4671 LCD. Haven't got it yet, but we spent 3 years looking before we bought. Hope we did the right thing! Of course we have 15 days to change our minds so that helps.

Our reasoning:

We have a full wall of south-facing windows right next to where the TV goes

Watching distance varies from about 8 feet to 20. We decided a 52" was just too big for the 8 foot distance, but a 46 would suffice for the 20 foot. Sitting 8 feet away in the store showed to much "graininess" for our taste.

120HZ - I was "iffy" about this until Sunday. We were watching a Sony W3000 46" (60HZ) and I saw blurs when a man was being interviewed during the Daytona 500. It was his beard. Short hair, and it would blur and "jump" as he talked and moved his head. Ran over to the Samsung and saw no blur.

25k:1 contrast ratio. Better I'm told. The blacks did seem deeper.

Reviews. Read a lot of really good things about the 4671. CR rated it high.

After we've had it a while I'll report back (2 week waiting list, but I've been looking for 3 years so 2 weeks is nothing).

Plasma - just too shiny with our windows.
Congratulations on your choice! Enjoy!

Okay, we've had ours for a while now. I am still totally impressed with this television. It's light enough that I can move it around on the stand by myself, and my wife and I can lift and move it to the floor and back.

Tons of options for adjusting the picture and sound.

The picture, well all I can say is WOW! Black blacks, and the colors are rich and pure. We did adjust the settings with the help of a web site: Official Samsung 71series calibration thread - AVS Forum (http://tinyurl.com/yqpydt - broken link) and it has made a big difference from out of the box. Our TV sits next to a south wall of windows so we needed to tweak it. Some glare, but no more than our old CRT.

We do find that changing some settings will help with jumping and blurring, which we see on occasion.

I still recommend it.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I have a four year old Pioneer Elite PRO-1000 plasma. Therefore am partial to plasma vs LCD. I am thinking about upgrading to a 60 inch Pioneer Elite Kuro and using my old 50 inch in another room. However, the price is near $7K.
Costco has a Panasonic 50 inch 1080p for $2300 that I could get new for the second room. Without all the technical analysis, how many of you think the Pioneer (blacker blacks, etc) picture quality is worth the significant difference in cost vs Panasonic?
Forget plasma or LCD. Go DLP and you'll get a lot more screen for your money. Samsung is coming out with a new 67" DLP in June and it will be priced at around half of what a comparable sized plasma or LCD 1080p screen would cost. Unless you're buying it for a bathroom or kitchen there's no such thing as buying a TV too big.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:02 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,782,411 times
Ok, so I thought I'd make quick mentions of what the benefits and pitfalls of each are...

LCD will give you great contrast, its excellent for PC use (if you have an HTPC for example), but its a little slower to refresh. Watch a panning motion on an LCD to notice this, or something fast, like a football game.

Plasma is great for video. Its very responsive, but also still significantly more expensive. The life of plasmas are getting hire (hours usage), but its still not better than LCD or DLP.

DLP gives you an overall great effect, you have fast motion, and good precision, but there is a moving part which can go... the color wheel. Also, the colors of DLP are not the best with the standard 4 color wheel, a 6 color wheel is better. Due to the fact that there is a color wheel, if you move your eyes quickly across the display, you'll see whats called a "rainbow effect". Watch something in black and white to see this effect.

Go out to the store, and check out each type. Most people will not notice the issued with LCD, and the rainbowing effect of DLP is generally not an issue for most either. The simple fact is, you'll need to decide what you find is right for you - what will bother you? You won't know until you compare each.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:25 PM

I wasn't under the impression that LCD gives great contrast, though that is a quality characteristic that has been improving.

One can avoid the color wheel in DLP's by getting Samsung DLPs with LEDs. The rainbow problem in such sets is somewhat less likely to occur in some people. By far the biggest problem with DLPs is the very narrow viewing angle. As a result, the brightness level of the screen dims as you walk around the set or when you walk up to it. The effect is worse than with many LCDs. Many people find this problem very distracting to the quality of the set and absolutely will not buy it no matter how much less lower priced it is over a LCD or plasma.

Other people will be very upset that DLPs aren't flat like LCDs or plasmas. But if you don't intend to hang the TV on the wall, it needn't be much of a concern.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I wasn't under the impression that LCD gives great contrast, though that is a quality characteristic that has been improving.

Our Samsung has excellent contrast. Very black blacks, great color, less glare than our old CRT, and it sits next to a bank of south-facing windows. 46" and it's light enough that my wife and I can lift and carry it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics