U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 05:11 PM

2,293 posts, read 2,113,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
https://www.overdrive.com/

You can get free ebooks from your library without even leaving home with overdrive.
This is one reason I got the Kindle. Sometimes books I want are only available at the library in Ebook format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 05:14 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,312,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
So, I finally got a Kindle, with 3G because I don't have WiFi.

It came with NO instructions. The online instructions don't address simple things like how to turn it on and off, or how to turn 3G and WiFi off to read a book. There are no doubt other things I might want to do that aren't covered either. I don't have a tablet or a smart phone so maybe all this stuff is intuitive to those who do. I am very frustrated with it and thinking seriously about returning it.

How do I learn to use it? Do I have to buy an instruction book like with Windows?
Not sure. Keep in mind all those books you buy on it will go up in smoke if Amazon (est 1994) ever ceases to exist. Plus, their founder and CEO is a billionaire homosexual globalist. Happy reading.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
This is one reason I got the Kindle. Sometimes books I want are only available at the library in Ebook format.
I think you can read them on a computer or any tablet, not just kindles, but I could be wrong. I have a kindle. They are okay to have in the nightstand. I prefer a paper book, but it is pretty convenient to buy it or rent it wirelessly. Just can't make notes in it and keep the paper copy for future reading.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:18 PM

6,171 posts, read 7,476,087 times
Quote:
So, I finally got a Kindle, with 3G because I don't have WiFi.

It came with NO instructions. The online instructions don't address simple things like how to turn it on and off, or how to turn 3G and WiFi off to read a book. There are no doubt other things I might want to do that aren't covered either. I don't have a tablet or a smart phone so maybe all this stuff is intuitive to those who do. I am very frustrated with it and thinking seriously about returning it.

How do I learn to use it? Do I have to buy an instruction book like with Windows?

And be sure to change your settings to find local wifi when you use your Kindle at a coffee shop or library or while visiting friends with unlimited wifi so you don't burn through the 3G. Book and music downloads often use up a lot of data and you could add up additional charges if you go over.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:20 PM

2,293 posts, read 2,113,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
And be sure to change your settings to find local wifi when you use your Kindle at a coffee shop or library or while visiting friends with unlimited wifi so you don't burn through the 3G. Book and music downloads often use up a lot of data and you could add up additional charges if you go over.
My understanding is that the 3G is free forever. There was no mention of limiting use of it.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:24 PM

35,108 posts, read 41,282,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I'm confused without Wifi how do you use a kindle? I have kindle fire but need wifi to use. Do they have a new one out that is like the IPad?
One has never been required to have wifi to use the kindle and books are delivered via whisper net.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
One has never been required to have wifi to use the kindle and books are delivered via whisper net.
They make wifi kindles that are cheaper that don't use the 3G cell tower whispernet. So yeah. For those wifi is needed or you just get the free book and the manual which isn't enough to read for very long.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:25 PM

7,543 posts, read 15,681,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Not sure. Keep in mind all those books you buy on it will go up in smoke if Amazon (est 1994) ever ceases to exist.
Which is why you back up all the books on your hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Plus, their founder and CEO is a billionaire homosexual globalist.
Untrue (well, not the "billionaire" part) and complete slander - not that I care anyway.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 04-12-2016 at 08:42 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM

6,171 posts, read 7,476,087 times
Quote:
Quote:
My understanding is that the 3G is free forever. There was no mention of limiting use of it.
Your contract will tell you the exact terms. I would imagine what you got is something like 3G per month, limited to a set period of time. If you download the books onto the device, you won't use as much data. If you read from the cloud, you will use much more data.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 AM

7,543 posts, read 15,681,968 times
Quote:
Your contract will tell you the exact terms. I would imagine what you got is something like 3G per month, limited to a set period of time. If you download the books onto the device, you won't use as much data. If you read from the cloud, you will use much more data.
You don't actually read from the cloud on the device - you can browse the cloud, select a book and it will download to your device, and you read it from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or