U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 03:59 PM

58 posts, read 42,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Your contract will tell you the exact terms. I would imagine what you got is something like 3G per month, limited to a set period of time. If you download the books onto the device, you won't use as much data. If you read from the cloud, you will use much more data.
They may have changed the terms, but my original Kindle 2 is Whispernet only and there has never been any indication that I will ever have to pay for data.

Re a comment upthread that if Amazon were to disappear so would your books, that is not true. It is theoretically possible that any books that were purchased through Amazon and were archived when Amazon went dark would be unavailable, but anything on your kindle plus any books you choose to download from other sources would definitely remain available - I have hundreds of ePubs from various (legal) sources both on my hard drive and on my 3 kindles, and whatever happened to Amazon I would definitely not lose access to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 05:07 PM

7,432 posts, read 4,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
And be sure to change your settings to find local wifi when you use your Kindle at a coffee shop or library or while visiting friends with unlimited wifi so you don't burn through the 3G. Book and music downloads often use up a lot of data and you could add up additional charges if you go over.
The 3G is used only for downloading.

Note to OP: ONCE YOU DOWNLOAD A BOOK, TURN OFF THE WIRELESS. It is not needed anymore. & will run your battery down.

NOTE 2 TO OP: As another poster pointed out, you can use wifi at a Starbucks or library or other place that has public wifi. YOU WILL NEED WIFI TO UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE VERSION. Your 3G won't work to update the software, because the software is too large for 3G. SO UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE AT A PUBLIC WIFI PLACE. (Otherwise, you have to use your computer to plug your Kindle into, so you can update the software that way.)

Old 04-13-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireGuy View Post
They may have changed the terms, but my original Kindle 2 is Whispernet only and there has never been any indication that I will ever have to pay for data.

Re a comment upthread that if Amazon were to disappear so would your books, that is not true. It is theoretically possible that any books that were purchased through Amazon and were archived when Amazon went dark would be unavailable, but anything on your kindle plus any books you choose to download from other sources would definitely remain available - I have hundreds of ePubs from various (legal) sources both on my hard drive and on my 3 kindles, and whatever happened to Amazon I would definitely not lose access to them.
There are certain versions of Kindles that have 3G. Amazon subsidizes Kindles, so you are correct that there is no data plan or anything like that (at least mine is like that for both 3G and wifi).

I think what has been downloaded on your Kindle is indeed the user's. BUT Amazon is able to delete or add things to your Kindle, so if Amazon took the position that it was removing all books on Kindles, it has the ability to do that.

Kindles are great for people with limited income or shut-ins or relatives in nursing homes that don't have wifi. Some versions are completely free to use, and the user can download free books (all the classics are free, for example).

Old 04-13-2016, 05:27 PM

OP: Just a note to let you know that Amazon provides a COMPUTER VERSION OF THE KINDLE. Once a user has bought a Kindle, all you have to do is go to Amazon.com, and download the computer e-reader. So you will have access on your computer to the books you downloaded to your Kindle. That's important because the computer version is in color and has larger print. (My Kindle is old, and is only black & white.)

If you need help finding that download, just let City-Data know, and I or others will walk you through it. As I recall, it was just a click, and ba-da-bing, it was there. No big deal. Then when you get a Kindle e-book (whether free or you pay for it), you can elect at that time to send it to your computer Kindle or your actual Kindle ereader device, or BOTH! (As I recall, the computer Kindle won't pick up books I loaded onto my Kindle before I had the computer version, or vice-versa, but I might be wrong about that.)

Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 PM

8,674 posts, read 9,446,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
TOTALLY disagree! iPads are awesome and they do way more than a Kindle. BUT for just reading they're inferior to a Kindle. They're not nearly as comfortable for reading as a Kindle. Kindles aren't backlit like a tablet and they're much easier on your eyes, and it's much easier to read a Kindle in sunlight than it is to read an iPad. So if all you want to do is read, keep the Kindle. Once you find a good set of instructions (as many have suggested, just google), a Kindle is extremely easy to use.
If all you want to have a tablet for is to read books on the kindle is fine. That was my wife's intent. Then she started using her kindle as a tablet and was she ever disappointed. So I downloaded the kindle app on my iPad as a test and I had the best of both worlds! Very readable books with a device that could do everything on the the Internet and our email account.

This posting done on my iPad mini.

I think I will now watch a show on Netflix.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:22 AM

58 posts, read 42,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think what has been downloaded on your Kindle is indeed the user's. BUT Amazon is able to delete or add things to your Kindle, so if Amazon took the position that it was removing all books on Kindles, it has the ability to do that.
True, but if they follow your advice about turning wifi aff, they couldn't do that . It is kind of academic though - I was looking for a worst case scenario where Amazon shuts down completely in reply to an earlier post, and that just isn't going to happen - our books are safe.

Good post about turning off WiFi when not needed - I didn't think of mentioning that. I just put mine into Airplane mode unless I am charging them, works like a charm.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 AM

701 posts, read 993,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
If all you want to have a tablet for is to read books on the kindle is fine. That was my wife's intent. Then she started using her kindle as a tablet and was she ever disappointed. So I downloaded the kindle app on my iPad as a test and I had the best of both worlds! Very readable books with a device that could do everything on the the Internet and our email account.

If you wife is coming from a Kindle, maybe an Amazon Fire tablet might be a better choice for her? Specially the high-def models. Unless, of course, she's already deeply invested into the Apple ecosystem.

Between my wife and I, we have macbooks, an ipad, ipad mini, a nook and a kindle paperwhite readers. They were used a lot, for their intended purposes.

Until we bought the Amazon Fire 7" tablets ($35) last Christmas.
We hardly use the ipads and readers anymore. This little tablet has become our go-to device. It's so cheap, we can afford to drop it, lose it or lose it and replace it again with another Amazon Tablet.

We liked the Amazon Fire tablets so much that we immediately bought more as gifts for our nieces and nephews last Christmas (bought 5 and got the 6th one free).

The only advantage the Kindle has over the Fire tablet is - reading in bright sunlight and much longer battery life.

The only advantage the ipads have over the Fire tablets is - the resolution (our Fire tablet only has 720). Facetime. And the Apple ecosystem, which we're not deep into anyway.

Amazon Fire advantages over a Kindle reader:
- I can read Kindle and Nook books on the Fire tablet. As long as its not in direct sunlight.
- There are other apps for reading other ebook formats.
- Specially good at reading books at night, in bed, in the dark (our ereaders don't have built in lights).
- available expanded memory, micro SD card (I believe up to 128 GB), where I save and load with ebooks, movies, pictures and documents.
- We already have Amazon Prime, so Amazon Videos are free.
- We've had Netflix for a few years now. So we can stream these on the tablets too.

With wifi almost everywhere, I can stream movies and tv shows. Surf the Web. Do Email and Messages. Play computer games (Contract Bridge, anyone?). Literally, more apps available than I need.

I even sideloaded KODI on it last month and it plays smoothly, better than the Raspberry Pi with KODI I built last year.

Also have Malwarebytes and Cleaner on it.

So, yes, the Kindle ereader is a nice product. But the Amazon Fire tablets are, I think, much more useful and a better investment.

Or not. Since Amazon has made it so easy to use these tablets to shop their site. Some weak-willed people might end up buying stuff they don't really need !

As an aside, here's a good article about Amazon readers and tablets.

How to choose the right Amazon e-reader

Old 04-14-2016, 01:29 PM

522 posts, read 720,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I agree, you will be completely disappointed if you expect to use your Kindle as a tablet. All a Kindle is meant for is reading. Period. And it's by far the most comfortable device out there for reading. A tablet is 100 times as awesome for everything else but it can't beat a Kindle for reading!

Old 04-14-2016, 04:51 PM

8,674 posts, read 9,446,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
If you wife is coming from a Kindle, maybe an Amazon Fire tablet might be a better choice for her? Specially the high-def models. Unless, of course, she's already deeply invested into the Apple ecosystem.
We both have iPhones and she loves the ease of navigation of the iPad-which is the same as her iPhone. She never cared for the OS of the kindle.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post

Between my wife and I, we have macbooks, an ipad, ipad mini, a nook and a kindle paperwhite readers. They were used a lot, for their intended purposes.

Until we bought the Amazon Fire 7" tablets ($35) last Christmas.
We hardly use the ipads and readers anymore. This little tablet has become our go-to device. It's so cheap, we can afford to drop it, lose it or lose it and replace it again with another Amazon Tablet.

We liked the Amazon Fire tablets so much that we immediately bought more as gifts for our nieces and nephews last Christmas (bought 5 and got the 6th one free).

The only advantage the Kindle has over the Fire tablet is - reading in bright sunlight and much longer battery life.

The only advantage the ipads have over the Fire tablets is - the resolution (our Fire tablet only has 720). Facetime. And the Apple ecosystem, which we're not deep into anyway.

Amazon Fire advantages over a Kindle reader:
- I can read Kindle and Nook books on the Fire tablet. As long as its not in direct sunlight.
- There are other apps for reading other ebook formats.
- Specially good at reading books at night, in bed, in the dark (our ereaders don't have built in lights).
- available expanded memory, micro SD card (I believe up to 128 GB), where I save and load with ebooks, movies, pictures and documents.
- We already have Amazon Prime, so Amazon Videos are free.
- We've had Netflix for a few years now. So we can stream these on the tablets too.

With wifi almost everywhere, I can stream movies and tv shows. Surf the Web. Do Email and Messages. Play computer games (Contract Bridge, anyone?). Literally, more apps available than I need.

I even sideloaded KODI on it last month and it plays smoothly, better than the Raspberry Pi with KODI I built last year.

Also have Malwarebytes and Cleaner on it.

So, yes, the Kindle ereader is a nice product. But the Amazon Fire tablets are, I think, much more useful and a better investment.

Or not. Since Amazon has made it so easy to use these tablets to shop their site. Some weak-willed people might end up buying stuff they don't really need !

As an aside, here's a good article about Amazon readers and tablets.

How to choose the right Amazon e-reader
Is the Fire free to use, like a Kindle? You just use your wi-fi (assuming you don't have a data cap). Does the Fire use 3G or 4G, like some of the Kindles?

I really don't know.

Why I got a Kindle years ago instead of a tablet is that I wanted an ereader, specifically. I don't want a tablet or need a tablet. So I got a Kindle that runs on both wifi AND cell towers (free...no data plan). I wanted something free to use, also. So I have a Kindle, and besides the initial cost, I have spent a penny. All books are free, all data free.

I don't have a tablet because I find laptops more useful. I can't do everything I need to on a tablet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or