Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 08:00 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,010,640 times

Advertisements

Are all tuners of all TV manufacturers built to the same specs to receive signals?
I have two TV's. A 19" Vizio in the kitchen and a 48" Samsung in the living room.
Many times, will watching the Vizio, the video will pix, freeze, or blue screen, no signal. If I turn on the Samsung, same channel, no problem.
TV's are 39 miles from tower [n/e], flat terrain. Antenna in attic above the garage.
Signal strength on Vizio is weak on most channels, medium to strong on Samsung.
When I do a channel scan, the Vizio barely gets available channels but the Samsung lists channels that aren't transmitted from the towers but received as signal bounce [but not always video] from other towers [60 miles s/e] in the opposite direction of my antenna.
Do some TV's have better tuners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,967,916 times
Sure. It's a receiver that's receiving digital signals over radio waves. Some receivers are more sensitive than others. You could always improve your antenna to increase the amount of signal getting to the one that doesn't work.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,806,784 times
I bought a new Vizio in March and I notice it seems to be stronger at picking up stations. I have an older Samsung in the kitchen which is pretty good. I ended up only using the attic antenna for the Samsung and got another antenna for the new Vizio. Both have amplifiers connected to them. My problem is that I am too close to the tower and some signals go over me. I live on the side of a mountain where the tower is at the top. Before the Vizio , I had a Toshiba which , in my opinion , had a weak tuner. It didn't pick up as many stations. I also got a Magnavox DVR from Amazon and it seems to pick up stations pretty well. I am determined NOT to have monthly cable or dish bills!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics