U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 11:16 AM

4,536 posts, read 5,722,820 times

Advertisements

I am currently having shelf units built to go on either side of my fireplace. I intend to put the TV up above the fireplace. I have a well qualified person who is going to put the system in, but he is recommending Paradigm speakers to me. With two side speakers, a central speaker, a sub woofer and a remote, just this equipment will come to something like $2,500! I am really blown away by the price. I am not an audiophile, and don't know how I can justify the expense for speakers. This will be for the sound system for the TV, CDs, and a turn table. I have a moderately sized living room, not a stadium. Are there alternatives to Paradigm that have some quality (I don't need the best) but aren't so expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 02:00 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,732,533 times
I love my 20 year old JBLs, but I have no idea how JBL compares these days.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:00 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
You can certainly find a setup significantly cheaper than that.

Here's just one example at a whopping $130, Sony:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DAVTZ140-...d+sound+system

or an Onkyo for $400:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3700...d+sound+system

Old 04-20-2016, 04:48 PM

18,511 posts, read 55,435,808 times
That Onkyo is an updated version of one I have. It is decent, although I added some old school stereo front speakers to mine to pump the native midrange up a little. At my age, the nuances of a high priced system would fall on underperforming ears.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:55 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
Don't listen. Sure paradigm may be great but you don't need it. If he insists, find someone else. There are many systems at ALL price levels. You can spend as little as a couple a hundred bucks up to hundreds of thousands if you wish. Bose is another one that is way overrated and overpriced IMO. You can get an "all in one" or buy separates. It's all up to you.

Shop around. There are many online sites available. Of course you cannot actually listen to them online. If you have any local places available, check them out. Big box stores? Best Buy etc.

Or you can buy a high quality system that is pre configured for you. Many places will put the package together for you using high quality components and will meet your budget.

Here are a couple of links to get you started and you don't even have to buy there, just look and shop around for the best price. Newegg does have very competitive prices though so you can't go wrong there.

Surround Sound Systems, Home Theater & Audio Speakers - Newegg.com
Home Theater and Home Theater Systems at Crutchfield.com

Bottom line is do your homework first.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:42 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,745,742 times
Paradigm is a very good brand. Much higher end than the normal mass market people want to pay for. Most people will settle for mass market, low end budget speakers from Polk, Infinity, Sony, JBL, etc. (Disclaimer: These brands also make some amazing higher end speakers that are great too but you won't be buying it from Bestbuy, Walmart, etc).

I once owned Infinity Primus for my tv area. When they are on sale. Hard to compete for the price range. The best bang for the buck is to look for someone dumping their speakers and subwoofer on Craigslist. I often see brands that once going for thousands of dollars being sold for hundreds of dollars. Brands like Monitor Audio, KEF, PSB, Paradigm, DefTech, NHT, etc.

Fluance:

Home Theater Surround Sound Speaker Systems and Home Audio Products - Serious Performance | Fluance are a manufacturer that sells speakers directly online. They are not high end but well respected for the price they charge for their speakers.

Bic America/Bic Accoustech (amazon) have received a lot of good reviews through out the audio world for their price range speakers.

These guys get good reviews too for their brand but I don't know if it fits your budget:

EMP:

EMP Tek Products

HTD:

HTD Products - Speakers

Aperion Audio:

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers

To save costs on receiver, I buy refurbished receivers from stores like accessories4less and get after-market warranties.

For bang for the buck subwoofers, I pick brands like SVS, HSU Research, Rythmik, and a few various other brands that you can buy direct from the makers.

Wires and connectors: monoprice.com is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics