U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 03:06 PM

21 posts, read 15,378 times

Advertisements

My cable provider is Cox. They say I have to have a new mini cable box because they are upgrading to 'Digital TV'. I receive my channels currently just by plugging the coax into the TV. Some of these channels are HD. So why do I need the box? Are there any TV's that have this built-in? The box is so small I would think that a TV would already have these guts inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 04:49 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,732,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentosa712 View Post
My cable provider is Cox. They say I have to have a new mini cable box because they are upgrading to 'Digital TV'. I receive my channels currently just by plugging the coax into the TV. Some of these channels are HD. So why do I need the box? Are there any TV's that have this built-in? The box is so small I would think that a TV would already have these guts inside.
Sounds like they're being really late to the party in terms of dropping the old analog channels. Comcast did that some time ago (years?).

You might not need the box if your TV already has a QAM tuner, but many cable companies also encrypted a lot of the signals after the change, meaning you'd need their box to receive the scrambled content.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,539,779 times
You can't be getting many channels if you have the cable directly to TV and using the TV remote. Reminds me of the early days of cable and a 'cable ready TV'. New box will require TV set to channel 3 and using cable box remote.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:55 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,754,869 times
We caved in and got the mini boxes because without them, Cox reduced the channels we were able to receive. And WITH the box we get more channels than we did before. I suspect it may be Cox's totalitarian way of forcing every tv in their area to hook up or be useless if they don't...who knows but there may be monitoring elements in the boxes such as providing networks with viewing statistics. I dunno. But we got the boxes and now we have more functionality on those non-dvr tvs in the house than before.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:13 PM

346 posts, read 234,951 times
arent the boxes free for the first year? then 2 bucks a month after? this is coming to vegas this summer

Old 05-03-2016, 11:20 PM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times
Quote:
The Fcc reversed their policy about broadcast channels. Previously it was illegal for a cable company to scramble local broadcast stations, and the televisions manufactured since 2005 were required to have a QAM tuner to pick up those channels. But the FCC changed the law a few years ago to permit cable companies to scramble local channels. AFAIK, no cable company left them unscrambled, or is planning to leave them unscrambled. The boxes are a new source of revenue for cable companies.

The simplest boxes unscramble cable channels and produce a Standard Definition picture. These boxes cost less than $50. My cable company has been charging rent for the last seven years on these boxes. The rent has varied from free to $10 a month depending on the package.

Most people prefer a box with at a minimum capability for high definition TV. Most cable companies want two way communication to aid in selling video on demand. Another feature that is obviously popular is DVR functions. But the list goes on and on, including boxes that support shopping, youtube, Netflix, Major League Baseball, and so on.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:12 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
arent the boxes free for the first year? then 2 bucks a month after? this is coming to vegas this summer

The simplest boxes have a cable in and a cable out. They also have yellow composite video output and red and white stereo audio output. They only produce standard definition output. You can find them for sale everywhere but the boxes are all stolen and don't work. They are not consumer items, and you must get them from your cable company to work. They are still being sold on ebay and amazon because they are not worth the time and effort to prosecute.

They have a remote control (you can't use your TV remote), and two way communication so they can operate Video on Demand.

These boxes were free for our first year of digital cable (2009) and $2 for the second year. We had five STD TV's hooked up straight to coaxial cable and they gave us five boxes for no charge. But then the prices started going up. Plus when you upgrade to better TVs you want High Definition signal and DVR or other functions.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:09 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,667,913 times
Quote:
Two reasons. First so that Cox has an actual count of how many TV's you have connected to their system and secondly to charge you for connecting those TV's to their system. No boxes no signal. When Comcast started to do this they simply stated it would be free and you'd gain extra channels for doing it. A few years passed and they started charging for the boxes followed by adding fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or