U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:16 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,141,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
If this is analog output from the keyboard that is just transmitting sound you can do the same thing with the same results on your computer right now. You only need the correct adapter to plug it into the computers "AUX" jack or use the headphone jack from the keyboard. The jack on the keyboard may be larger but they make adapters.

Download and install audacity, this will allow you to record the sound from the keyboard.
Hi, so sorry for the delayed response ...as per the above bolded, I did download and install Audacity but now my problem is with my laptop. The only input in the laptop is a 'mic' input and not a 'line in' input. So, while the audio does record to computer (in wave format) from the Yamaha QY300 Sequencer it's distorted, even when lowering the volume from the source, and it sounds quite horrible. How does one convert their 'mic line in' in their laptop to an actual 'line in'? And, if this is possible, will the 'line in' automatically give me a better sound/recording than I'm presently getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
You may want to look in to this. It handles the whole process on the computer. It is in essence a sequencer AND recorder and more all in one and will take in your existing MIDI files. You can then encode to FLAC which is higher quality that MP3 and play it back with just about any portable device including a smartphone. No more time constraints.

Cakewalk - SONAR Family - SONAR Platinum, SONAR Studio and SONAR Artist

The have several versions available and they do offer a free demo.

They have other products including Music Creator which is a "lite" version of Sonar. I think it's about $50 and it's light years ahead of a standalone sequencer.
Cakewalk - Music Creator 7 - Download Music Creator To Record on your PC

Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You may want to look in to this. It handles the whole process on the computer. It is in essence a sequencer AND recorder and more all in one and will take in your existing MIDI files. You can then encode to FLAC which is higher quality that MP3 and play it back with just about any portable device including a smartphone. No more time constraints.

Cakewalk - SONAR Family - SONAR Platinum, SONAR Studio and SONAR Artist

The have several versions available and they do offer a free demo.

They have other products including Music Creator which is a "lite" version of Sonar. I think it's about $50 and it's light years ahead of a standalone sequencer.
Cakewalk - Music Creator 7 - Download Music Creator To Record on your PC
Thanks very much. I've previously found such programs rather daunting and so I return to the safety of my trusty 'standalone' sequencer. But, I'll check it out.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:05 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Hi, so sorry for the delayed response ...as per the above bolded, I did download and install Audacity but now my problem is with my laptop. The only input in the laptop is a 'mic' input and not a 'line in' input. So, while the audio does record to computer (in wave format) from the Yamaha QY300 Sequencer it's distorted, even when lowering the volume from the source, and it sounds quite horrible. How does one convert their 'mic line in' in their laptop to an actual 'line in'? And, if this is possible, will the 'line in' automatically give me a better sound/recording than I'm presently getting?
There is setting in Windows for mic volume and it should be accessible in Audacity too, try lowering it. My laptop only has a mic I could never get it right while trying to record some tapes.

Didn't try it myself because I just used the PC but this might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7i6LJs3b6E

Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks very much. I've previously found such programs rather daunting and so I return to the safety of my trusty 'standalone' sequencer. But, I'll check it out.
I have been using Cakewalk since it was out for DOS in the late 80's. Do not be intimidated. If you already using a computer you should not have much trouble with it. It is way more intuitive than you think. Actually I misspoke, Sonar is he sequencing/recording software, the other is music composition software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhmTo2BDRk

Old 02-11-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
I have been using Cakewalk since it was out for DOS in the late 80's. Do not be intimidated. If you already using a computer you should not have much trouble with it. It is way more intuitive than you think. Actually I misspoke, Sonar is he sequencing/recording software, the other is music composition software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhmTo2BDRk
Thanks very much for all responses. As said, I'm a real rookie when it comes to computer-based programs. I actually have Cakewalk Home Studio 2 on my computer. It's been there for years but, as said, I find it to be so daunting. I really need someone to sit beside me at the computer and spoon-feed me through it.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:57 PM

Right. While on this particular topic, can MIDI files be imported into Home Studio? Cakewalk's info says you can "Import WAV, ACIDâ„¢-format WAV, and MP3 files". I want to be able to take multi-track MIDI files created in my Yamaha QY300 and put them in Home Studio to work with. While my sequenced tracks do sound very good having used the QY300's internal instrumental voices, I want to go for more realistic instrument sounds. Any advice?

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 02-12-2017 at 12:19 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 11:37 AM

Yes you can import midi files. I think the preferred package would be Sonar and not Home Studio. There are many tutorials and documentation available I am sure. With Cakewalk you would be able to control your QY300's instruments as well as any other MIDI instrument. I used it with samplers, synthesizers (regular and rack mount), drum machines etc. You can then import (wav or similar) or lay regular audio and play along side your midi tracks. They have a forum as well where you could ask more questions. I doubt there are many people here on CD that would know.

Click on the community link and then 'Cakewalk User Forum"

Cakewalk - The World's Best Software For Recording And Making Music On PC And Mac

Old 02-13-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yes you can import midi files. I think the preferred package would be Sonar and not Home Studio. There are many tutorials and documentation available I am sure. With Cakewalk you would be able to control your QY300's instruments as well as any other MIDI instrument. I used it with samplers, synthesizers (regular and rack mount), drum machines etc. You can then import (wav or similar) or lay regular audio and play along side your midi tracks. They have a forum as well where you could ask more questions. I doubt there are many people here on CD that would know.

Click on the community link and then 'Cakewalk User Forum"

Cakewalk - The World's Best Software For Recording And Making Music On PC And Mac
Thanks a lot, gguerra. I'll log on to the link you suggested and see where that leads me. Cheers.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Quote:
Right. While on this particular topic, can MIDI files be imported into Home Studio?
Just to remind you midi files are not audio files but a set of direction to produce audio. While some of these programs may support importing them what they are going to do is convert to an audio file. You will not be able to edit or export as midi unless it's specifically a midi editor. You'll only be able to export as a audio file.

With the right hardware and software you should be able to connect the keyboard to your computer, record to midi and even edit them on the computer as midi. Export bak to the keyboard or as as an audio file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics