U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:24 AM

3,314 posts, read 1,145,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Just to remind you midi files are not audio files but a set of direction to produce audio.
Yes, at least I understand that if nothing else.

Quote:
While some of these programs may support importing them what they are going to do is convert to an audio file. You will not be able to edit or export as midi unless it's specifically a midi editor. You'll only be able to export as a audio file.
Hmmm . . .okay. That's certainly not what I'm after.

Quote:
With the right hardware and software you should be able to connect the keyboard to your computer, record to midi and even edit them on the computer as midi. Export back to the keyboard or as as an audio file.
I generally create my own midi files using the Yamaha QY300 Music Sequencer. And, while I seldom do this, I may also at times download a particular midi-file from the internet and edit the file on the sequencer to suit what it is that I'm after. This may save me the time from starting a music file from absolute scratch. For years I've provided backing tracks for church, live gigs and, especially, for local Christmas concerts. For the Christmas gigs I record these tracks on to a mini-disc, the player of which is then connected by cable to a professional sound system. The sound is, generally speaking, quite impressive. The group I organize sing to the backing tracks and, hopefully, sound as good as the tracks do.

So far the QY300 has served its purpose and I have some pretty professional sounding music tracks after having worked long and hard to make them so. I am, however, limited to the internal voices of the QY300, many of which are quite good. Some are not so good and so I have to make the best of what I have. What I'm wanting to do now is to change the simulated instrument voices I initially get from the internal sound generator of the QY300 into REAL instrument voices while basically keeping the existing data, i.e. the guitar is still a guitar but is a more authentic sounding guitar.

When I load these midi files - via the required but now outdated 2DD floppy disc - into my Yamaha QY300, the sequencer recognizes the data, i.e. the instrument voice, the reverb setting, the volume setting, the pan setting, etc. and uses its internal tone generator (voices) to produce the instrument sound assigned to that particular track. I can then edit, change instrument voices, etc. etc, to any of the 16 tracks in use.

I have most of my midi-files saved to my computer, via an external floppy-disc drive. If I click on these midi files I, of course, get the message that I need an appropriate app to open up these files since they contain data and are not audio files. And THIS is what I'm trying to do. Ideally, I would like to import my midi files to an app (?) that allows me to open up a grid similar to that of the QY300, a grid that displays 16 separate tracks and enables me to edit each track if need be and, most importantly, will also give me real instrument sounds. Is this possible?

Note: If others have already pointed me in the right direction previously I do apologize for not having understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 AM

3,988 posts, read 2,625,400 times
Quote:
Just to remind you midi files are not audio files but a set of direction to produce audio. While some of these programs may support importing them what they are going to do is convert to an audio file. You will not be able to edit or export as midi unless it's specifically a midi editor. You'll only be able to export as a audio file.

With the right hardware and software you should be able to connect the keyboard to your computer, record to midi and even edit them on the computer as midi. Export bak to the keyboard or as as an audio file.
Cakewalk Sonar is a MIDI editor and much much more. It does however use it's own format where the MIDI format is considered a universal format. So you can import MIDI files edit and add to them, add in audio and just leave it in Cakewalk, no need to do any exporting unless you want to produce an audio file for playback or distribution.

So as an example, you can plug in your instruments to your computer via MIDI cables and their respective audio outputs to a mixer, the mixer outputs back in to your computer via the audio-in connection. If you want to lay down vocals that can be done as well through the mixer as a separate track in Cakewalk. So this way, the Cakewalk software will combine MIDI playback and previously recorded audio tracks to produce one complete audio file.

Last edited by gguerra; 02-14-2017 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics