U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2016, 06:22 AM
 
3,306 posts, read 1,141,975 times
Reputation: 2759

Advertisements

Hi. For several years I've organized both Christian and secular concerts using self-created backing tracks behind a 6-piece vocal group. I create the tracks on my Yamaha QY300 Music Sequencer (lengthy process) and transfer the data when finished on to my Sony MDS JE-470 Minidisc Recorder. With the LP2 setting on the MD Recorder I can program a full 160-minute concert on an 80-minute disc if I so wish. In other words, no disc-changing necessary. And, for those familiar with the Sony MDs, song titling and other editing features are SO helpful.

The sound quality in the LP2 mode is excellent and sounds absolutely great when run through a professional sound system with sub-woofers and the like. The group and I perform a half-dozen or so Christmas concerts throughout the region during the 2-weeks lead-up to Christmas. I'm dependent on great backing tracks and a professional quality player/recorder on which to play them. I always tell the group ..."WE need to sound as good as the music."

In recent times, however, problems have developed with both of the MD units that I own. I guess I could try to get them fixed locally but both units are getting pretty old. And, MD recorders are getting harder and harder to find and to purchaser on ebay. The reason for my starting this thread is this: Is there any other music recording device available that is either better than or at least comparable with the MD Recorder/Player? Is there any device that will allow me to record in hi-fi from my music sequencer and playback with the same quality? Also, is there anything with the same editing features as that of an MD recorder? Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2016, 11:58 PM
 
1,080 posts, read 829,504 times
Reputation: 627
why not just buy a CD recorder???
minidiscs are dead except over in europe they love em. i don't know why i always thought the sound quality was horrible on minidisc since it cut out the sounds that the human ear could not hear but it still sounded horrible.. though they were good for one thing and that was recording scratched LP'S because the minidisc eliminated some one the scratches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2016, 04:16 AM
 
40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Reputation: 16740
Standalone CD recorders can be pretty expensive and they only accept "Audio" CD's for recording. Both have fee that goes to the RIAA, hence the reason every CD player doesn't have burn capability... <sigh>

The keyboard is exporting using MIDI presumably? Can you already get it to your computer? That's where you want to get it to because once it's on your computer the sky is the limit.

If you can't transfer the MIDI file they have PCI MIDI cards and other devices like MIDI to USB. The MIDI file can be transferred directly and could even be edited as MIDI file on the computer with the right software. Audacity which is free audio editing program supports importing MIDI but I don't know how well. I'm going to take a guess it doesn't support editing the MIDI directly and would only export as audio file.

The slow, tortuous and less than ideal method but cheapest thing would be to simply plug the headphone jack from the keyboard into the AUX port on your computer. Use Audacity to record.

Once it's on the computer you have a world of options, you could literally export as .MP3 to your phone and plug that into soundboard. If the soundboard accepts USB sticks, flash, Burn a CD... whatever floats your boat and fits your needs.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-08-2016 at 04:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2016, 09:06 PM
 
3,306 posts, read 1,141,975 times
Reputation: 2759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
why not just buy a CD recorder???
Because I can't record a full 2-hour plus concert on to a single CD. I would need to change discs during a performance which would interfere with the continuity of the program. And, I would always be fearful that the CD might skip during a performance. With a mini-disc all I have to do is to hit the 'Play' button and, unless I want to pause it every now and again to talk to the audience, it will play through to the end of the show.

Another feature of the mini-disc is that I can easily change the order of the tracks if need be ...all from the one disc. I couldn't do this if I was using two or multiple CD discs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
minidiscs are dead except over in europe they love em. i don't know why i always thought the sound quality was horrible on minidisc since it cut out the sounds that the human ear could not hear but it still sounded horrible.. though they were good for one thing and that was recording scratched LP'S because the minidisc eliminated some one the scratches
Well, I'm a real stickler for professionalism both in sound and in performance. The sound quality from my mini-discs, especially when patched into a professional sound system, is almost comparable to that of a live band which, of course, is the objective aimed at in the first place.

Thanks for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2016, 09:38 PM
 
3,306 posts, read 1,141,975 times
Reputation: 2759
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Standalone CD recorders can be pretty expensive and they only accept "Audio" CD's for recording. Both have fee that goes to the RIAA, hence the reason every CD player doesn't have burn capability... <sigh>
Yes, I HAVE such a standalone CD recorder and the 'Audio' CDs, the only CDs that it accepts for recording, are pretty scarce these days. As you say, these recorders won't accept regular writable CDs. I DO have a few CD-RW's (re-writable CDs that can be recorded over and over) so I can record directly from my QY300 Music Sequencer to this unit and then make copies on regular recordable CDs from the Audio master CD. But then I'm back to the same problem as mentioned in my previous post to ground_pounder. I would have to record the 2-hour music program on to at least 2 CDs and this would mean having to change from one CD to the other thereby disrupting the show. This is not to mention, of course, that CDs have a habit of skipping. With the mini-disc I have the entire program on one disc and a music list that I can edit at will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The keyboard is exporting using MIDI presumably? Can you already get it to your computer? That's where you want to get it to because once it's on your computer the sky is the limit.
Yes, the keyboard (the music sequencer) would be exporting the MIDI tracks to some other source. I can record from the sequencer directly to the mini-disc recorder (just a line out/line in) and have the same quality sound ...no loss whatever. What you suggest is probably what I need to do (export MIDI from my sequencer to computer) and I'll have to look into doing this. I'd still be afraid, however, that some glitch with the laptop (which I'd have to have onstage) might create problems. So far, after many years of service, the mini-discs have performed 'glitch-free'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you can't transfer the MIDI file they have PCI MIDI cards and other devices like MIDI to USB. The MIDI file can be transferred directly and could even be edited as MIDI file on the computer with the right software. Audacity which is free audio editing program supports importing MIDI but I don't know how well. I'm going to take a guess it doesn't support editing the MIDI directly and would only export as audio file.
I'm not as computer savvy as I might be but I'll run this idea by one of the professionals in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The slow, tortuous and less than ideal method but cheapest thing would be to simply plug the headphone jack from the keyboard into the AUX port on your computer. Use Audacity to record.

Once it's on the computer you have a world of options, you could literally export as .MP3 to your phone and plug that into soundboard. If the soundboard accepts USB sticks, flash, Burn a CD... whatever floats your boat and fits your needs.
As per your advice, I'll do some experimenting and see what works and what doesn't. I much appreciate your input. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2016, 09:23 AM
 
40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Reputation: 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Because I can't record a full 2-hour plus concert on to a single CD. I would need to change discs during a performance which would interfere with the continuity of the program. And, I would always be fearful that the CD might skip during a performance. With a mini-disc all I have to do is to hit the 'Play' button and, unless I want to pause it every now and again to talk to the audience, it will play through to the end of the show.


Another feature of the mini-disc is that I can easily change the order of the tracks if need be ...all from the one disc. I couldn't do this if I was using two or multiple CD discs.


You can use a format like MP3 and get 4 or 5 hours on one disc using highest quality at 320kbps, for most people that would be indistinguishable from a song copied from commercial CD. You can create playlists with the tracks already organized. CD players may not support either so the player you get would need to specifically support this. MP3 support is pretty common, not sure about the playlists.

Before going down the road of purchasing anything for MP3 you can check the quality by first taking an existing recording you have. Convert to MP3 and then burn it back to disc as an audio CD. That forces a conversion back to PCM which is used for regular CD, the conversion back to regular audio CD is not going to fix any audio quality issues created by MP3. Whatever you hear is how it's going to sound when played as MP3.

There is better formats that will allow you to get the required time on the CD. WMA lossless and Flac are two, both are as good as the original recording however support for them on a player is going to be difficult to find.

You can avoid the limitations and issues with CD by using a device. One that supports FLAC or other high quality formats is ideal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...C&A=details&Q=

You may even be able to record directly to that.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-09-2016 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 AM
 
40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Reputation: 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Yes, the keyboard (the music sequencer) would be exporting the MIDI tracks to some other source.


Understand there is big difference between a MIDI file and sound file. MIDI is not a recording, it's a set of directions that tells the device/software what to play. If you export the MIDI file to the computer you can then edit it just like you can on the keyboard with the right software. When I say edit I mean change the instrument playing a track, change notes etc...

Quote:
I can record from the sequencer directly to the mini-disc recorder (just a line out/line in) and have the same quality sound ...no loss whatever.
If this is analog output from the keyboard that is just transmitting sound you can do the same thing with the same results on your computer right now. You only need the correct adapter to plug it into the computers "AUX" jack or use the headphone jack from the keyboard. The jack on the keyboard may be larger but they make adapters.

Download and install audacity, this will allow you to record the sound from the keyboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 03:52 PM
 
1,080 posts, read 829,504 times
Reputation: 627
Product: MD-CD1MKIII | TASCAM

i wonder if the OP could buy a memory recorder that uses SD cards or something that might be another way to go.. but the OP would have to rip it to there pc and edit ( if they choose to and then burn it to a cd )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 03:56 PM
 
1,080 posts, read 829,504 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Standalone CD recorders can be pretty expensive and they only accept "Audio" CD's for recording. Both have fee that goes to the RIAA, hence the reason every CD player doesn't have burn capability... <sigh>

The keyboard is exporting using MIDI presumably? Can you already get it to your computer? That's where you want to get it to because once it's on your computer the sky is the limit.

If you can't transfer the MIDI file they have PCI MIDI cards and other devices like MIDI to USB. The MIDI file can be transferred directly and could even be edited as MIDI file on the computer with the right software. Audacity which is free audio editing program supports importing MIDI but I don't know how well. I'm going to take a guess it doesn't support editing the MIDI directly and would only export as audio file.

The slow, tortuous and less than ideal method but cheapest thing would be to simply plug the headphone jack from the keyboard into the AUX port on your computer. Use Audacity to record.

Once it's on the computer you have a world of options, you could literally export as .MP3 to your phone and plug that into soundboard. If the soundboard accepts USB sticks, flash, Burn a CD... whatever floats your boat and fits your needs.
one reason i would never buy a stand alone CD recorder there expensive and they have all of that RIAA crap on them. i prefer a computer burner there's no RIAA crap on them!!! when i buy a cd no one is gonna tell me how many copies i can make. after all copies can get scratched to hell when you play em in cars and portable CD players
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 04:29 AM
 
40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Reputation: 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
one reason i would never buy a stand alone CD recorder there expensive and they have all of that RIAA crap on them. i prefer a computer burner there's no RIAA crap on them!!! when i buy a cd no one is gonna tell me how many copies i can make. after all copies can get scratched to hell when you play em in cars and portable CD players
The "Audio" CD's simply have a partition allocated on the CD that flags it as "Audio" CD, the standalone burner checks for the flag. There is no easy way to replicate this. They tried getting this on all burners but since Computer CD/DVD burners can be used for data they lost. That said you are still forced to pay the RIAA no matter how you use standalone burner which is a bunch of BS.

The flag is only used to determine if a standalone burner can use the disc, it's normal CD otherwise and can be copied using computer burner. As far as copying commercial audio CD's there is exemption in copyright law called the "Audio Home Recording Act" that allows you to do this as long as it's for personal use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top