U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-14-2008, 11:33 AM
 
3,367 posts, read 10,136,907 times
Reputation: 4170

Advertisements

Can anyone advise me on the best value system for receiving radio? I am looking at wi-fi internet and satellite products, and getting confused!

I am in Texas and want to get stations such as the BBC and other non-commercial channels.

Good quality sound, easy to use, under $100 - is that possible?

Thanks

Last edited by southdown; 02-14-2008 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
1,368 posts, read 6,014,969 times
Reputation: 536
are you looking for receivers or subscriptions? Or both?

Is this for your car? or for home/work? or all of the above?

Your post is a little vague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
 
312 posts, read 986,068 times
Reputation: 162
Yeah, we need more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,897 posts, read 33,634,159 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Good quality sound, easy to use, under $100 - is that possible?
Price point under $100 rules out standalone Internet radios. Figure to spend upwards of $300 on a standalone Internet radio. The only way I know of to get Internet radio for that little money is to dedicate an old computer that you already own to this task.

Satellite radio will fit into your sub-$100 budget and have generally better sound quality, but it will come with a subscription fee that may cost you more than an Internet radio in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 PM
 
3,367 posts, read 10,136,907 times
Reputation: 4170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
Yeah, we need more information.
Sorry....

I am trying to work out what kind of hardware/unit/product I need, and I think it would probably be wi-fi internet radio.

I just want something shaped and sized like a normal radio unit.

Not subscription.

I have used my laptop until now but the signal drops out, the speakers are useless and it doesn't fit in my kitchen - I need a radio unit of some kind but am lost in the maze of products!

I have seen some in the $300 range but thought maybe the technology is getting cheaper....?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Reputation: 12539
We still have until the year 2020 or so before the AM/FM radio signals switch to digital. Also, all you need to listen to international stations, including The BBC, is a multi-band receiver. Go to Radio Shack, and try some of their multi-band radios. A radio that has a jack for an outdoors or indoors antenna, in addition to the antenna it comes with, is best.

Also, you should be able to find used multi-band radios. Just try the radio first to see if it can receive the stations you want. Don't forget that an antenna you can string across a room in the house (or something like that) will bring stations from far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,897 posts, read 33,634,159 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I have seen some in the $300 range but thought maybe the technology is getting cheaper....?
A big part of the cost of an Internet radio is not only the hardware but the licensing of the various streaming schemes. The manufacturer of the radio has to pay licensing royalties for MP3, Windows Media and Real Player formats to the companies and consortium that own those technologies. That adds a lot to the cost of the device. You're not going to see these go under $100 until they become very mass-produced.

I never thought I would like satellite radio either and I resisted buying one for years, until I finally caved in and bought an XM unit to try last year. I started out month-to-month on the subscription and ended up springing for the 12-month option to get the lower monthly cost. I like the choices it brings me so much that I don't mind paying the subscription fee.

As far as international broadcasts go, XM has the BBC world service and the audio quality is basically FM broadcast. Years ago, I was a shortwave listener and I spent countless hours listening to static-y weak signals. Satellite radio sound is infinitely better than what you get on shortwave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
1,368 posts, read 6,014,969 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
A big part of the cost of an Internet radio is not only the hardware but the licensing of the various streaming schemes. The manufacturer of the radio has to pay licensing royalties for MP3, Windows Media and Real Player formats to the companies and consortium that own those technologies. That adds a lot to the cost of the device. You're not going to see these go under $100 until they become very mass-produced.

I never thought I would like satellite radio either and I resisted buying one for years, until I finally caved in and bought an XM unit to try last year. I started out month-to-month on the subscription and ended up springing for the 12-month option to get the lower monthly cost. I like the choices it brings me so much that I don't mind paying the subscription fee.

As far as international broadcasts go, XM has the BBC world service and the audio quality is basically FM broadcast. Years ago, I was a shortwave listener and I spent countless hours listening to static-y weak signals. Satellite radio sound is infinitely better than what you get on shortwave.

Id have to recommend a mobile XM receiver like this poster, just because its going to be cheaper upfront costs, your long term costs will be small, and you can just move it, and yourself and not have to worry about internet connections, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top