U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 01:32 AM

10,538 posts, read 5,799,481 times

Advertisements

I was doing my weight lifting workout to Samantha Fox's Greatest Hits (CD in the Blu-ray feeding into one of the HDMI ports on the flat screen) and noted that when I play a CD, I can have the volume down in single digits but when I play a DVD, often the volume has to be much higher. Add to this that my cluster is at the far side of another room next to my exercise room and I have no trouble hearing the CD over that distance.

Why the difference in volume settings? I am thinking that since a DVD has video as well, it is much more resources intensive; hence, more energy is required for the sound track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
It's because of the amplification of the recording. For example if you are watching a movie and there is a really loud explosion, the voices could be that loud if they wanted to make them that loud. There is no standard and any sense of a standard completely goes out the window with CD's. You might find another CD in your collection that is quiet. Same problem with really loud commercials.... Some equipment and software will try and "normalize it" but that introduces it's own set of problems.

This is Pink Floyd's "Cluster One", it starts out softly and builds to the end.

This is Metallica's "Master of Puppets" off the S&M dic. It's by far the "loudest" disc I have. It might be as loud as the Pink Floyd song at it's peak at half the volume on the player.

There is actually controversy over this, while it's "louder" having the amplification on the track peak like that can destroy the nuances of the music.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-11-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-13-2016, 01:41 AM

10,538 posts, read 5,799,481 times
Well, for tonight's workout, I used Sheena Easton's "The Lover in Me" CD and a different unit. Same thing, could play the CD with single digit volume set. So I guess it is the complexity difference between a CD and a DVD.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:59 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
It may not just be the amplification of the recording. Another possibility is the audio settings may be different for video than CD, for video it may be compressing the audio. This is typically used to lower the amplification on commercials so they don't make your ear drums bleed. Check the audio settings on the player, it might be some crazy name. I think on my Vizio TV it's was SRS or something. I had to turn that off on the TV, the voices were very low when it was on.

These setting can be helpful for things like commercials but can introduce their own set of issues, that loud explosion used for effect is no longer really loud or the overall volume is decreased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics