U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 08:20 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,340,100 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I bought a smart tv.
Up until two weeks ago everything worked fine, better than I expected.
One morning it stopped receiving a signal from my wireless..
I'm getting an error message saying "router blocking unknown MAC address" and the MAC #

I called the manufacturer, who say it's my ISP
I called my ISP Comcast who after about 2 hours time, changed my network name and settings and got it working again..
For about 20 minutes..
I called again and after another hour the tech was convinced I have a faulty modem/router. It's a 2 in 1
Soo, I went down to their office and picked up a new duel band modem/router..
I had to call to activate new router and another 2 hours (I was on hold for 58 minutes) and I'm back to square one with no working TV and the same error message..

So I guess my question would be in anyone's opinion or knowledge..
Is it the TV/ manufacturer or my service provider whom I should contact and waste another 4-5 hours of time dealing with..?

Is there something much more simple I can do on my own..?

Thanks for any help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:11 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
TV model? What you have is a gateway, and Comcasts gateways are known to be fairly unreliable and buggy. It may be a problem with the configuration or firmware, or it could be the TV, no way to know without some troubleshooting. I don't believe Comcast gateways have a MAC filter but if it does that may be related, maybe someone that has the same model you're using will chime in.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:32 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,515,542 times
I do not know much about what you are experiencing but there are two ways to log into a Comcast wifi, one is with your email address and online Comcast password and the other is into your side of the Comcast system with your password and user name that you set up, have you tried setting it up both ways, if not then try that.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:43 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,340,100 times
Thanks for both of your answers..

The TV model is Insignia, it's a ROKU TV if that means anything..
I'm going to start all of this over with both companies on tuesday.
I just hope to get it resolved.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:46 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
Curious, there are a number of people having issues getting a Roku box to work with a Comcast gateway, wonder if it's related.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:03 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I'm getting an error message saying "router blocking unknown MAC address" and the MAC #
I'm going to suggest the TV is proabaly spitting out what is a non helpful error code sending you off a wild goose chase. That's my guess.

MAC filtering if it's available on a router requires you to enable it and put in thr MAC adresses. Any devices that weren't on the list would work. Furthermore I doubt the router is going to return that message if it's being rejected.

I would suggest going into the TV's settings and going through the network configuration again, pick your network and enter the passsword.

If that doesn't work, pull the plug on the TV for about ten minutes and the try network configuration again.

If that doesn't work there should be item in the menu to reset the TV to factory defaults, try network configuration again. Be aware this last one is going change any custom settings you have made on the TV.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:04 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Curious, there are a number of people having issues getting a Roku box to work with a Comcast gateway, wonder if it's related.
Nah, that couldn't be it.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 PM

3,429 posts, read 5,255,796 times
I've been trying for a couple of days to get my new Samsung TV connected and I've spent hours with two different service people at Samsung and we've gotten nowhere. I have another samsung that's a few years old and it's been problem free. This is really disappointing since returning it to Costco means a 90 trip (each way) and I can't go for at least 2 weeks. Bah humbug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or