U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,422,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
i could care less about the apps myself. they should just give you a usb dongle for wifi and let you download what ever apps you want
Agreed. I've found the TV apps to be way inferior to their console counterparts. Plus, it's another device that wants internet service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 01:32 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,744,055 times
Get a TV without apps and get an external box like a Roku. That gives you access to various apps, but it also lets you completely remove them, or upgrade them, without changing your TV.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM

701 posts, read 994,448 times
We just bought a 32" 1080 Sharp Aquos last month for my mother. Very satisfied with everything about it.
Then we needed to replace the kitchen tv. We went back for another Sharp Aquos, but they were all gone.

So we settled for a similar 32" 1080 Samsung, though $20 buck more.
It's just okay. But every time I see my mom's television, I'm disappointed at the Samsung.

And the Smart TV menu system and remote control on the Sharp is way better and more logically designed than the Samsung. Even my 88 year old mom figured out the Sharp easily. On the Samsung, I sometimes go "now why the heck would you put that there?!"

Then again, this might be specific to the models only.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:15 AM

10,169 posts, read 10,499,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Get a TV without apps and get an external box like a Roku. That gives you access to various apps, but it also lets you completely remove them, or upgrade them, without changing your TV.
That's what everyone told us about component stereos. Usually once the components wore out, you needed a whole new stereo anyway.

I think you can get overly worried about upgrading. Roku TV's are very inexpensive
A 10.8 pound, TCL 32S3800 32-Inch 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2015 Model) is $169.99 on Amazon, while a Roku 4 Streaming Media Player (4400R) 4K UHD is $119.88.

Just purchase the TV, and it will always function OK despite new upgrades to Roku boxes, and you can push it into a back room as it gets old.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:34 AM

918 posts, read 698,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
That's what everyone told us about component stereos. Usually once the components wore out, you needed a whole new stereo anyway.

I think you can get overly worried about upgrading. Roku TV's are very inexpensive
A 10.8 pound, TCL 32S3800 32-Inch 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2015 Model) is $169.99 on Amazon, while a Roku 4 Streaming Media Player (4400R) 4K UHD is $119.88.

Just purchase the TV, and it will always function OK despite new upgrades to Roku boxes, and you can push it into a back room as it gets old.
I am sure the OP has moved on by now but I had to address your price comparison...you are comparing the top of the line Roku...the new Roku Stick costs $50 (CNET best buy) and you can get an Insignia 32 inch 720p non-smart television for $ 139 ($129 if you catch a sale) at Best Buy...I will agree that the TCL for sale on Amazon is a hell of a deal

Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
I bought a Roku TV while we are discussing it. I was a bit nervous. It was between that and a Vizio.
Both 4K, I decided to jump on the TCL Roku TV. We are a big Roku family. I trust Roku to not pair up with a lousy TV manufacturer and TCL is the largest TV company in China. So they may be unknown here really, they aren't a bit player.

$999 for the Vizio and I paid $549 for the TCL. (55")
I'm VERY happy so far.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:59 PM

918 posts, read 698,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I bought a Roku TV while we are discussing it. I was a bit nervous. It was between that and a Vizio.
Both 4K, I decided to jump on the TCL Roku TV. We are a big Roku family. I trust Roku to not pair up with a lousy TV manufacturer and TCL is the largest TV company in China. So they may be unknown here really, they aren't a bit player.

I'm VERY happy so far.

Glad it worked out...I am a bit of a brand snob when it comes to TVs but if the quality on these Chinese brands holds up, it would be plain stupid to ignore the value they represent...most of the folks I know that have bought one have echoed your statement about being very satisfied all things considered

Old 06-14-2016, 03:34 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
I sort of was, too, but I got annoyed by all the main brands that I wanted to buy (LG, Samsung, Panasonic) selling their cheaper TV's with like 1 or 2 HDMI ports. Vizio (and TCL) both have 4 on all their models.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:58 PM

10,169 posts, read 10,499,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I am sure the OP has moved on by now but I had to address your price comparison...you are comparing the top of the line Roku.
My point was people say to buy the components separately so you can upgrade. But Roku is likely to keep their price point with Roku #5 or #6. So eventually your streaming component will cost almost as much as the TV.

The reality is that you are not likely to ever upgrade. You are much more likely to relegate the old TV to a corner room, and upgrade to high dynamic range or high definition television with a streaming stick to match.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:33 PM

5,896 posts, read 4,422,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I'm VERY happy so far.
Interesting. I might have to check TCL out. I bought a Vizio 70" about three years ago, and getting white stuck pixels all over the screen. First started off in the bottom left hand corner, now, slowly, starting to spread to the middle of the TV. Not been very pleased about that.

But, speaking of Roku, I got a Roku stick when I signed up for three months of SlingTV (in which I canceled after the three months because the service was terrible,) and have really enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics