U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:26 AM

454 posts, read 305,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
For the limited budget, you'd be looking at a refub 11 or 13 inch Macbook Air or 2012 13-inch non retina Macbook Pro. The problem with the pro would slower hard drive. Upgrading it would push it out of your budget. These newer faster solid state drives are more costly and can fill up fast especially if you are shooting video with your iPhone and syncing all of them with iTunes and you don't do house keeping and delete old unnecessary footage.
Thanks. Very good info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:11 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
Quote:
The problem with the pro would slower hard drive.
Keep in mind it's all relative. A SATA (aka regular) hard drive is not SLOW by any means. ONLY compared to Solid State...

Old 06-09-2016, 02:00 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,181,712 times
you can try something like this; Used Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch (Glossy) 2.3GHz Core i5 (Early 2011) MC700LL/A - mac of all trades (but it is already a 5 year old computer)

I would go for a new mac. This is actually a good deal: Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air 1.6GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 - Apple

The downside to owning a newer mac book is that you can't do any upgrades... including ram

Old 06-09-2016, 02:39 PM

701 posts, read 993,899 times
on the 2012 Macbooks , the last of the upgradeables.

Very slightly above your budget, but IMO, worth it.

The 2012 Non-Retina MacBook Pro Is Still the Best Laptop Apple Sells | Motherboard
Why Apple Continues to Sell the Mid-2012 MacBook Pro | 9to5Mac

Old 06-09-2016, 10:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
OP shouldn't assume that the version of OS X s/he's using now will be OK a year from now. Apple has its ways of strongly encouraging OS upgrades, too.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...urity-updates/

Old versions of OS X don't get security patches, at least not as promptly as the current version does.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:53 AM

25,862 posts, read 32,421,579 times
Quote:
For the limited budget, you'd be looking at a refub 11 or 13 inch Macbook Air or 2012 13-inch non retina Macbook Pro. The problem with the pro would slower hard drive. Upgrading it would push it out of your budget. These newer faster solid state drives are more costly and can fill up fast especially if you are shooting video with your iPhone and syncing all of them with iTunes and you don't do house keeping and delete old unnecessary footage.
This is what I would do.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:55 AM

5,323 posts, read 2,804,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
Question: Where can I get the best deal on a new or refurbished Mac computer? Which laptop model would you recommend for someone who primarily does text, occasionally video? I am on a budget.

Two weeks ago, I was forced by Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10. I use a 4+ year-old Dell Inspiron 5110. I use the computer for work. I had a miserable customer experience losing 2 full days and now part of a third because, after two trips to the Microsoft store in my city and 7 calls to their call center, I find out my Dell isn't compatible with the upgrade.

Let me be clear, Microsoft forced me to upgrade. When that didn't work, tech support tried to revert to Windows 7. That failed. They were able to reinstall Windows 10, but it fails to connect to the internet on an intermittent basis (generally when I'm in a hurry.)

So long, Microsoft! After 20+ years as a user, your arrogance in forcing this upon me is ending our relationship.

Any advice will be appreciated. I'll also be looking at new models, but if you have bought refurbished and had a good or bad experience, I'd like to hear about it.

TIA.

Fellow Austinite,

I switched to a MAC 5 years ago and have not looked back. Of course there will always be a faster and better PC out there, but a MAC is quality in my opinion.

When I go on PC's now , I hate it.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:23 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,966,862 times
I also was a Microsoft user, from the days of the DOS prompt. I got tired of being the IT department for my family - the last straw was having to take two days off work to repair a critical machine that had been crippled by a virus.

With $1k I would buy the last upgradable MacBook Pro, which is the 2012 model. it is still sold new in the Apple Store. It is non Retina. You won't miss not having the latest display.

You can upgrade it as your budget allows. You can't do that with newer Macs, at least not yourself/cheaply. You'll be able to put in bigger and faster hard drives and max out the RAM - not difficult to do. Solid state drives are blazing fast and getting cheaper for bigger storage sizes every day.

This 2012 MBP also has a DVD drive, which, the conventional wisdom says, is obsolete. I don't think it is, not totally. Anyway, newer Macs don't have those either.

I have a 2007 MBP that I'm in the process of upgrading for the second time. I love having that option.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:12 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,610,450 times
Apple Mac Computers & Accessories from MacMall, The #1 Mac Warehouse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or