U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:50 AM

454 posts, read 306,020 times

Advertisements

Question: Where can I get the best deal on a new or refurbished Mac computer? Which laptop model would you recommend for someone who primarily does text, occasionally video? I am on a budget.

Two weeks ago, I was forced by Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10. I use a 4+ year-old Dell Inspiron 5110. I use the computer for work. I had a miserable customer experience losing 2 full days and now part of a third because, after two trips to the Microsoft store in my city and 7 calls to their call center, I find out my Dell isn't compatible with the upgrade.

Let me be clear, Microsoft forced me to upgrade. When that didn't work, tech support tried to revert to Windows 7. That failed. They were able to reinstall Windows 10, but it fails to connect to the internet on an intermittent basis (generally when I'm in a hurry.)

So long, Microsoft! After 20+ years as a user, your arrogance in forcing this upon me is ending our relationship.

Any advice will be appreciated. I'll also be looking at new models, but if you have bought refurbished and had a good or bad experience, I'd like to hear about it.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:58 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
It would help to know your budget.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:31 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,744,055 times
A Mac is not your only option. What do you use your computer for?

Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 PM

243 posts, read 157,320 times
I dumped Windows and just got a Mac years ago, never regretted it. I'm on my third one now, a Mac Mini running Mountain Lion for now and I couldn't be happier. It just works! Back when I used Windows I got hacked all the time, my system was constantly crashed by vicious script-kiddies and I constantly had to deal with the self-fouling registry. Hackers cut their teeth on Windows and it's their primary target.

I had this same discussion on another forum, and another poster responded with the following:

Windows XP Pro - Great OS for its day, just not very LAN/internet savvy.
Windows Vista - A real DAWG of an OS... nobody liked it! Thankfully didn't last long.
Windows 7 Pro - Best OS Microsoft ever released... ever. Esp if you know how to edit the Registry and Group Policy.
Windows 8 & 8.1 - Almost as bad as Vista, just in different ways.
Windows 10 - Big Brother incarnate... watch yourself, because MS will be!

Im one of micky soft insider testers
There is no way to make windows 10 secure if you want to use the programs included
Many of the programs need access to your microphone and camera to work

A techy can go into the registry and make it secure but it messes up a lot of other programs

Apparently Windows 10 is all about data mining and snooping into your business. It wants access to your camera and microphone too. I don't have either of those on my Mac.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 PM

3,906 posts, read 9,583,311 times
If you go to the Apple website and scroll all the way down to the bottom, under the Apple Store category, there is a link to the refurbished store. The discount isn't always much, but they do have a few older models that are priced accordingly. They are sold with a warranty and they are like new. The only way you are going to get one cheaper is to buy from craigslist or if you have a family member who works for Apple and can get you a discount.

I have purchased 2 refurbished Macs and have been very pleased. I too got frustrated with Microsoft and decided to go the Mac route. As they say, once you go Mac, you never go back.

They are more expensive than PC's, you just have to decide if the cost is worth it to you. It has been for me. I was nervous about switching since I had been using PC's since the early DOS days, but it didn't take me long to make the switch. I still use a PC at work but thankfully I don't have to maintain it.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:04 PM

3,906 posts, read 9,583,311 times
By the way, if you are just mainly doing texting or video, have you considered a Chromebook or even a tablet?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:38 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,422,729 times
You are a real estate agent and all you do is video and texting?

Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVaslovik View Post
Apparently Windows 10 is all about data mining and snooping into your business. It wants access to your camera and microphone too. I don't have either of those on my Mac.
Which it will never access without your express permission... How else are you going to use Skype is Windows cannot access your mic/camera? Paranoid much?

In any event, OP said she wants Mac. Why must we always try to change people's minds? That's what she wants. And until he tells us her budget, there is no need to really continue replying...

Old 06-08-2016, 03:50 PM

454 posts, read 306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
You are a real estate agent and all you do is video and texting?
"Text" not "texting." Email, correspondence, I work a lot with pdf's, some flyer design, but I wouldn't say i do graphic design. I don't do podcasting, i don't compose music. I'd like to do some video editing.

I am sick and tired of Microsoft. That's why I'm looking at Macbooks. I'd like to keep it around $1,000 as I wasn't planning on buying a computer this year.

Thanks for the info. It is helpful. And yesterday i had to call Microsoft in the Phillipines again, and today make another trip to the Microsoft store.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:25 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,453,733 times
For the limited budget, you'd be looking at a refub 11 or 13 inch Macbook Air or 2012 13-inch non retina Macbook Pro. The problem with the pro would slower hard drive. Upgrading it would push it out of your budget. These newer faster solid state drives are more costly and can fill up fast especially if you are shooting video with your iPhone and syncing all of them with iTunes and you don't do house keeping and delete old unnecessary footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or