U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 10:44 PM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times

Advertisements

https://www.tablotv.com/

Tablo is designed for Over the Air Television, and will function as a DVR if you buy a hard disk, but it's primary purpose is to broadcast TV through the home where it can be picked up on tablets or other connected devices (Roku, Fire TV, etc).

My neighbor just bought a 62 year old house that has never been wired for TV and involves some incredible fishing expeditions to wire it without it looking ugly. As near as we can figure out no one who owned the house has ever had televisions. We get no antenna reception beyond PBS, local news and religion, and he just simply wants to watch sports on ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX. He has internet since there is an entry point into the attic and a Wireless Access Point gives good coverage throughout the house without any wires.

The cable company will sell a package of just broadcast channels and additional options like HBO or Starz.

The cable company rents TiVos, but you can only watch things wirelessly that are recorded by the DVR on the hard disk using a FireTV stick or Fire Tablet. You can't watch Live TV.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...x14NLN71EI2KKC
This product is good for only one TV, but it doesn't have a CableCard slot, so you still have to rent the TiVo to tune in the signal.

Is there some product that I don't know about that you can shove a CableCard into it and it will send live TV throughout the house without having to record the show first (like Tablo TV)?

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-09-2016 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 08:54 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
I don't understand the dilemma. If he's willing to PAY for Cable TV, they WILL wire the house.

I know of no other "CableCard" option.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't understand the dilemma. If he's willing to PAY for Cable TV, they WILL wire the house.
The house is set up with a cable coming from a utility pole leading into the attic. There is power in the attic, so you can plug in a modem and a wireless access point.

Cable companies will stretch wire across rooms and tack down to the outside of walls. They won't fish down the inside of walls. They won't go from room to room on the outside of walls. They tell you to do it yourself or to hire a contractor.

Some older homes have lathe and plaster walls, not drywall. Fishing through the walls can be very complex.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:18 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,447,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The house is set up with a cable coming from a utility pole leading into the attic. There is power in the attic, so you can plug in a modem and a wireless access point.

Cable companies will stretch wire across rooms and tack down to the outside of walls. They won't fish down the inside of walls. They won't go from room to room on the outside of walls. They tell you to do it yourself or to hire a contractor.

Some older homes have lathe and plaster walls, not drywall. Fishing through the walls can be very complex.
I guess it is regional. Verizon had no issues running outside wires to 3 different rooms with outside wiring.

Seem like they have no problems drilling through hardwood floors either if you have a crawl space.

I think the OP is looking for a sling box type of device that takes TV and turns it into an IP broadcast. If so DISH offers it $$ if the sling TV offerings are insufficient. They have the wireless Joey

Old 06-11-2016, 08:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,896 posts, read 33,628,448 times
CableCard is a technology that never really worked well, never really caught on and thanks to new regulation discussed in the article below, is on its way out. I would avoid investing heavily in this Tablo for that reason.

FCC approves new set-top box rule

Old 06-12-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I would avoid investing heavily in this Tablo for that reason.
Well Tablo is for "over the air" broadcast. I was looking for a "Tablo like" product that works with cable cards. I know that "Cable Cards" are on the way out, but with hundreds of millions of installed cards, they will be around for quite a while.

Besides "investing heavily" is a relative term. All he wants to be able to do is to watch football and let his kids watch Cartoons on network television. Now most people can simply put up rabbit ears. But because we are probably the only place in the country that has 250,000 homes without being able to watch ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX on antenna it will cost him about $600 a year in fees and equipment rental, and he will have to run hundreds of feet of Cat5e and or coaxial mostly along inside walls to have four televisions in his house.

So even a solution that works for three years would probably pay for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or