U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:48 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times

Advertisements

Heck yeah! Hopefully now the price of the Blu-rays will go down. At $30/movie, it's still dang steep. Maybe with mass production and big retailers like Target and Wal-mart announcing selling only Blu-rays will help with the pricing! I was holding out on getting a Blu-ray, but loved it on my Sony laptop. Now that the "war is over", I can sigh a bit of relief and start considering my first player. Woo-hoo! Anybody else going out to be one soon? Say, within this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 06:39 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,932,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Heck yeah! Hopefully now the price of the Blu-rays will go down. At $30/movie, it's still dang steep. Maybe with mass production and big retailers like Target and Wal-mart announcing selling only Blu-rays will help with the pricing! I was holding out on getting a Blu-ray, but loved it on my Sony laptop. Now that the "war is over", I can sigh a bit of relief and start considering my first player. Woo-hoo! Anybody else going out to be one soon? Say, within this year?
Eh.. I won't buy one until I get a new tv. I'm more likely to buy a blu-ray drive for my computer than a stand alone, since i'm most likely going to use a video capture card and a monitor to substitue for a digital tv till I buy one.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,617,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Eh.. I won't buy one until I get a new tv. I'm more likely to buy a blu-ray drive for my computer than a stand alone, since i'm most likely going to use a video capture card and a monitor to substitue for a digital tv till I buy one.
PS3, buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Amazon has amazing deals every so often, buy one get one free etc.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times
yeah, during xmas and a while after if you bought a ps3 (or any blu-ray player) you got 5 movies free ... i think i even saw more than that! i wonder if you'll see those deals again!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 PM

12 posts, read 22,966 times
My fiance was an early HD-DVD adopter. He's really annoyed. I stayed out of the whole thing. We have about a dozen HD-DVD movies and to be honest the difference in quality is noticeable, but not very important for me. Maybe it's just a guy thing to always want the latest and greatest.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM

783 posts, read 2,370,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hguru View Post
Congratulations Blue-Ray. Its about time they got this sorted out.

Blue -ray monopoly would start though

Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,473,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-ha-ha View Post
My fiance was an early HD-DVD adopter. He's really annoyed. I stayed out of the whole thing. We have about a dozen HD-DVD movies and to be honest the difference in quality is noticeable, but not very important for me. Maybe it's just a guy thing to always want the latest and greatest.
The difference between boys and men is the cost of their toys.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,994,754 times
I blame Microsoft for this! *shakes fist* Oh well, I couldn't careless about HD movies at all. The last movie I bought was Final Fantasy VII Advent Children when that came out like a year or two ago lol. Normal DVD is fine for me, because I tend to spend all my money on sound equipment for my video games! :P

Old 03-14-2008, 12:02 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,890,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Yep,

The war is finally over

link

So now I have to buy a Blue Ray player. Which one is the best value for balancing cost vs quality. The Pioneer Elite DV 58AV is supposed to be great, but I am told it's backordered, and costs around $1000?
Does anyone have any recommendations? Samsung vs Sony? Specific models? HELP.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:57 PM

16,300 posts, read 13,787,407 times
The Panasonic DMP-BD30 is supposed to be good and can be had for a little under $500. Panasonic isn't a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics