U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The life span of a refrigerator could be like any other thing you purchase like a computer, TV, microwave, washing machine, A/V receiver, air conditioner, phone. It could last one year or forever.
100% agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 12:44 PM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times
Default include cost of operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
I have a side by side 1999 GE frig that is still chugging along, although one area of the frig is freezing stuff even though the temp is turned as low as it will go. What would cause that? Bad temperature sensor? So this thing is about 17 1/2 years old. Should I just replace the thing?
Well refrigerators prior to 1992 are extremely inefficient. But with a 1999 model you should consider the electric cost of operating such an old appliance as well as the repair cost. Between the two of them it may make more sense to replace it even if repair cost alone doesn't justify the expense.

In most homes the refrigerator is the second-largest user of electricity (13.7%), right after the air conditioner.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,030,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Well refrigerators prior to 1992 are extremely inefficient. But with a 1999 model you should consider the electric cost of operating such an old appliance as well as the repair cost. Between the two of them it may make more sense to replace it even if repair cost alone doesn't justify the expense.

In most homes the refrigerator is the second-largest user of electricity (13.7%), right after the air conditioner.
Yes, but the energy savings is offset by the fact that these new energy efficient refrigerators break down after only 10 years or so. The compressors are cheap, so I'm told.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 826,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

My old 1931 Frigidaire will cool an entire load of beer or soda from 100F to 45f in 4 hours. My 2011 GE takes 4 days. I have both in the garage. I unplugged the Frigidaire for a while because of the supposed inefficiency and bought the GE. My electric bill didnt change at any noticeable amount. The GE has broken down twice and cost me $475 in parts (I can fix myself) and now needs a new door seal for more than $100. Both fans inside and outside are rattling too.
So I unplugged it and went back to my Frigidaire.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:43 PM

9,952 posts, read 7,564,614 times
Quote:
Yes, but the energy savings is offset by the fact that these new energy efficient refrigerators break down after only 10 years or so. The compressors are cheap, so I'm told.
I haven't had an unusual number of issues with the compressors. They do fail, a certain number inside warranty, a certain number just outside warranty(To read the internet, they all fail 2 days after the warranty expires), and the rest run for an undetermined amount of time. The ones with two compressors or two evap systems, one for each side, seem to have more problems because.. Well.. You've got 2 sets of everything, so there's more to fail.

It's the evaporator fan motors that are problematic in my experience.

To get the energy star stuff, you're right, they do alot of tricks.. One of which is using a variable speed motor on the evap fan.

The good news is.. An evap fan is 2 ticks away from a user-replaceable part. The bad news is.. It's 2 ticks away. Changing it is easy.. Diagnosing is a bit more difficult for someone with no experience. Anyone worth their salt with electricity can test it. Fan isn't running.. Get a meter.. Does it have 110AC going to it? It should be running.. So.. It's bad. But.. Air Conditioners are fairly simple to diagnose for me as well.. So, I may be oversimplifying the skills required.

The biggest problem, outside of that, with modern refrigerators that I have encountered is.. Well, ice makers. Those are just crap in everything.

But.. Computer controls are.. Questionable.

So.. My top three..

1) Ice Maker
2) Evap Fan Motor
3) Computer controls

The reason I don't like computer controls is.. There's no updates. How many people have to take their car in for a problem where the ECU has to be reprogrammed? How about your PC? All those windows updates.. A fridge can't get those updates. What are the odds that they programmed it right the first time?

Certain models move these problems around, though ice maker always seems to get the top spot.. GE Side by Sides, for example.. They have a thermal cutoff switch on the defroster that is supposed to open up when it gets too hot.. What's too hot? 200 degrees. IN A FREEZER. Basically, that switch should NEVER open.. But, the position of it and a likely manufacturing defect, can allow water to penetrate it. Which then freezes.. Water expands when it freezes.. Blows open the switch.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:06 PM

If and when I get a new frig, do you get higher quality when you pay more or do you just get more bells and whistles?

Old 07-08-2016, 09:13 AM

9,952 posts, read 7,564,614 times
Quote:
If and when I get a new frig, do you get higher quality when you pay more or do you just get more bells and whistles?
More bells and whistles and therefore more things to fail, IMO.

Samsung fridges.. Expensive as crap.. And.. Problematic. I've actually experienced lead times of 2 to 3 months for parts on them. Now.. Samsung generally takes care of the consumer better than some others i've seen.. If your fridge fails under warranty.. They require the receipts, but they will pay for your food loss. And, often they're not STICKLERS for the original receipts and all.

But, while they'll fix it under warranty.. if those parts have to be imported from Korea.. The warranty says they'll fix it. Not that they'll fix it fast.

I have heard of them paying for a rental from Aarons or similar in situations like that, but.. Still.. What a headache.

Having them just do a replacement.. That about requires an act of congress.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:02 PM

As it turns out my tenants had the thermostats turned way, way up. Glad I don't have to worry about replacing the damper because I can't even see where it might be. There's one big long narrow ventilation strip that runs up and down the left side of the frig.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:40 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,308,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
They used to last so long the color would go out of style. Now, they go before the chicken in the freezer expires.
All made in China, too.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:41 PM

9,794 posts, read 18,745,886 times
The 14 cubic foot Westinghouse fridge I have is 20 yrs olds (1996). I replaced the defrost timer (30.00) a few yrs back & the fridge works great. When it turns on it makes a loud clicking sound but it keeps everything cold & the freezer freezes food & water just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics