Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:23 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,464 times

Advertisements

I have a side by side 1999 GE frig that is still chugging along, although one area of the frig is freezing stuff even though the temp is turned as low as it will go. What would cause that? Bad temperature sensor? So this thing is about 17 1/2 years old. Should I just replace the thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 09:37 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
If you get 12 years out of a new one you will be lucky.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:14 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Repair it if possible. As froglipz has already said, new refrigerators have ridiculously short lives. In order to make them "energy efficient," the compressors are undersized.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
They used to last so long the color would go out of style. Now, they go before the chicken in the freezer expires.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Repair it if possible. As froglipz has already said, new refrigerators have ridiculously short lives. In order to make them "energy efficient," the compressors are undersized.
Were refrigerators made in 1999 considered energy efficient?

I think when the temperature lever is moved to the far side there is not a click and it doesn't shut off right away. Shouldn't moving the level to the far warm side cause the frig to shut off??

Will be a disruption for my tenant to have to move food from old frig to new, so I am thinking about taking a chance by buying a new thermostat and replacing it myself. Hopefully I can figure out how to do it online. Not sure how much the repair guys charge to replace this part. $125? $150? $175? More?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:42 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
If one area is freezing stuff, there may be a restriction in the refrigerant line there, so that it is liquid on one side of the restriction and then goes to gas (and cooling through expansion) once it passes it. That is not a good sign. I wouldn't waste money on it.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:00 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Refrigerators have changed a lot in the last 15-20 years. Your main control thermostat could be bad or a sensor/device/ thermostat that controls an airway from your freezer to the fridge side could be bad or stuck open. Could be just a manual control for how much air comes to the fridge side from the freezer compartment. Surprisingly, we have a 15 year old sideXside from Sears which is still working.

If it's freezing everything in the freezer, it's likely to be what I've said that's causing the freezing in the fridge problem. Normally I'd say scrap a GE but it's late enough model it's probably built like most of the rest.

BTW, They're (many of them) using brand name compressors that were once considered junk and bottom of the line. Apparently they've improved. I actually opened the backs on several models before purchasing this last one at Sears. Condenser fan motors are part of the real energy savings as they are cheaply made and don't hold up.

Still it may be a close call as to whether it's worth fixing over buying a new one.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If one area is freezing stuff, there may be a restriction in the refrigerant line there, so that it is liquid on one side of the restriction and then goes to gas (and cooling through expansion) once it passes it. That is not a good sign. I wouldn't waste money on it.
Yes. One area. What part is failing that would cause this problem?

Old 06-25-2016, 12:51 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
It's most likely an air duct problem. The evaporator (cooling coil) is located in the freezer section. The only cooling the refrigerator side gets is via an air duct and a fan circulating air in the freezer. We on occasion have things in the lowest part of the fridge section freeze. It's a common problem. Usually more of an engineering problem. Someone may have opened a manual duct control which would allow more cooling in the refrigerator section.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:32 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Yes. One area. What part is failing that would cause this problem?
It could be a duct or fan issue, but it could be a problem in the expansion coil itself. If so, that is unfixable, as it would require tearing the unit completely apart, removing and replacing the coil (if you could find one) and then evacuating and recharging the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics