U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 05:03 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

Honestly, I'd rather HDTVs not have the added "smart" features and just stuck with providing the best viewing experience as possible. Maybe instead of adding smart apps, add a built in Blu-Ray player as a standard.
I like the networking features, the apps I can do without. I have LG and the apps are very limited anyway. They are also a PITA in the ass to use without a keyboard and I don't know if I can hook a keyboard to it. I think I saw one sold by LG but I don't know if regular one will work. It's not something I really explored.

Never liked the idea of dual purpose devices. If the TV dies you now have the worlds largest Blu ray player, of course when they are cheap enough I guess it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Adding a bay(s) for standard computer devices would certainly be an interesting idea. Drives like a Blu ray would have to be thin but they could be backwards compatible to fit into computer, other possibilities are SSD drives etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:55 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,415,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I like the networking features, the apps I can do without. I have LG and the apps are very limited anyway. They are also a PITA in the ass to use without a keyboard and I don't know if I can hook a keyboard to it. I think I saw one sold by LG but I don't know if regular one will work. It's not something I really explored.

Never liked the idea of dual purpose devices. If the TV dies you now have the worlds largest Blu ray player, of course when they are cheap enough I guess it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Adding a bay(s) for standard computer devices would certainly be an interesting idea. Drives like a Blu ray would have to be thin but they could be backwards compatible to fit into computer, other possibilities are SSD drives etc.
Don't get me wrong. Honestly, I'd rather a TV just be a TV. No extra bells and whistles unless they're used to further enhance the picture quality. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if the TV didn't come with speakers. The speakers on my Vizio are horrible. I can't hear half of the stuff said. I've even resorted to turning on the Closed Caption (too many years of listening to loud heavy metal, lol!) I'd rather have a sound bar or have the TV hooked up to a receiver.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:47 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
^^^^
When you look at a TV with better/more features [more expensive] it will be 'smart' And there aren't 1000's of 'regular' TV's or even 100's And with Samsung, you can go to their web site to update the apps. on the TV
That's absolutely not true. There are so many non-Smart TV's available. And what features do Smart TV's have over non? More HDMI ports? No. Better contrast ratios? No. Curved screen? OK, maybe. Not a killer feature for me.

And sure you can go to Samsung's website and update it if Sammy has released a new update. With a Roku or Chrome Cast or Fire Stick... you can get updates when the individual app makers release updates. New channels are added on the Fire Stick and Roku every week. No update from Roku required. New stuff just shows up in the Channel Store.

There's inherently nothing wrong with Smart TV's. I'm not trying to give anyone that impression. I actually really like LG's WebOS Smart TV's. Steer clear of Vizio's Smart TV interface. Nothing but bad reviews there.
But I would prefer to get MORE bang for my buck by getting a better non-Smart TV (because if you pay $500 for a non Smart vs $500 for a Smart you are going to get MORE features on the non...not less).

Having said all that...
I've been watching and looking and reading and researching about TV's, and watching prices and looking in stores for over a year now. Seriously. I settled for a 'sort of Smart' Roku TV. I made a serious commitment to Roku here. The most important thing to me was plentiful HDMI ports which are sadly lacking on most name brand TV's.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:44 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,768,488 times
A quick unscientific look at BestBuy shows ~ 80/250 TVs are not smart.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:48 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,539,779 times
When my Toshiba 32" tube TV died 18 months ago ago, I researched for a NON smart TV that was at least 48", was 1080, had 3 HDMI, 'ARC' for the A/V receiver, component, composite. They don't exist. If you want extra features, it will be a smart TV.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:55 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,768,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
When my Toshiba 32" tube TV died 18 months ago ago, I researched for a NON smart TV that was at least 48", was 1080, had 3 HDMI, 'ARC' for the A/V receiver, component, composite. They don't exist. If you want extra features, it will be a smart TV.
I'm not sure what the other features have go to do with the TV being Smart but a quick search on Best Buy shows:

Toshiba 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - HDTV Black 55L310U - Best Buy

Dumb Toshiba 55-in, 1080p, 3 HDMI incl HDMI-ARC, component/composite .

Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,415,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'm not sure what the other features have go to do with the TV being Smart but a quick search on Best Buy shows:

Toshiba 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - HDTV Black 55L310U - Best Buy

Dumb Toshiba 55-in, 1080p, 3 HDMI incl HDMI-ARC, component/composite .
I've been very impressed by my older, Toshiba 32" HDTV. The picture on it is still fantastic - no stuck pixels, no color blotches or anything. The picture is still as if it was brand new. Only thing I have had to do was to replace the remote - the old one just quit working. Other than that, it's a great TV. It even has better sound than my 70" 1080p Vizio (of course that's not saying much.)

Love that price too! I may have to consider replacing the 32" with this one in the bed room.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:53 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times
The other thing I don't love about Smart is that every one has their own version of it. They think they can lock you in for life, this way. Like the WebOS on the LG? Well when you get another TV, are you going to want to have to figure out Samsung's Smart TV? or Sony's?
It is hard to find a 4K TV that isn't Smart.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:00 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,782,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
The speakers on my Vizio are horrible. I can't hear half of the stuff said.
This is specifically about dialogue? Had the same problem with my Vizio, thought I was going deaf. Lot's of metal blasting through the Sony Walkman here too.

There is setting in the audio called SMS or something like that. I think it's for filtering out loud commercials. In any event it also made the dialogue very difficult to hear.

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-30-2016 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 12:02 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,130,620 times
When a Smart TV gets stupid, it has probably become infected by Operator Error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or