U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 02:35 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
For the record, for those saying TVs are inferior - I recently purchased a new 2016 LG smart TV. I have also owned a chromecast in the past couple years. The "smart" features on the LG is better than the chromecast, I'm thinking of just throwing it away
Hell, I'll take the chromecast from you if you don't want it. I have a dumb TV but it's a plasma and I like it and can't replace it easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 11:59 PM

9,594 posts, read 12,529,340 times
Quote:
What's the point of Chromecast/Apple TV/Roku/etc etc when a new 2016 smart TV has all of the build-in apps and features of streaming/mirroring/etc?
Prior to Smart TV's, there were non Smart TV's. Many people have decided they don't need to be some yoke who runs out and buys the latest technology just so they can have it, when what they have works perfectly well. So they don't waste money replacing all their working just fine TVs with Smart TV's when the cost of a streaming media player is so low.

Others have been using a particular streaming media player & service for some time and just plain old enjoy the way it operates and functions. because most operate the same across all models of that manufacture, you don;t have to learn something new as you switch TV brands or models.

Since these devices are not integrated within the TV, if something prevents you from enjoying the TV itself, (screen goes bad, sound system is kaput, won't power up) you don't give up your streaming ability as the media player is a separate component. You just plug it into that older 1080 LED non-smart TV that's been sitting in the guest room and your back in business.

One item that is often overlooked is that most 8k UHD monitors are dumb. They have no tuner, no audio system, no nothing but the best screen resolution you have seen. These devices operate only on external plug in sources. It's highly unlikely if a Smart version was introduced that they would dump what they have just so they can get the streaming experience from a Smart TV. They can just get a Roku 4 and they can do everything that Smart TV can do for what $125?

Lastly, as Smart TV's become more popular and available, and as retailers see those sales increase, non Smart TVs are sold at fire sale prices. A person probably can get a large screen non Smart TV and a streaming media player for less money.

So, it's not just that a Smart TV is exactly the same for all purposes as a streaming media player; No, they are different types of devices, that serve different needs, for different reasons.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:34 AM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Quote:
For the record, for those saying TVs are inferior - I recently purchased a new 2016 LG smart TV. I have also owned a chromecast in the past couple years. The "smart" features on the LG is better than the chromecast, I'm thinking of just throwing it away
And I have the high end Samsung. My Roku still beats it any day of the year on so many levels.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:55 AM

10,169 posts, read 10,497,864 times
Generally I feel if you are going to go cheap, then get an integrated system. If you want a standard definition DVD player and a television then get them combined in one model so you reduce your plugs, remotes, and general bother with stands. Similarly if you want a cheap 32" tv, then get one with a combined Roku television so it is all one unit and you can hang it in the spare bedroom as it grows obsolete.

But if you are going high end, like 4k blue ray players for $400, ultra high resolution or high dynamic range monitors , then you buy in pieces. Your monitor, your sound system, your blue ray player, and your streaming device should all be individual components. That way you can replace one component if it fails or if you want to upgrade. Portability is secondary.

Components can be a nightmare for some people. My parents who are in their 80's have huge massive difficulties with component electronics. In 2009 the cable company went digital so you could no longer run raw coaxial into the F connector on the back of a television. I recycled the six CRT televisions in the house despite my mother's objections that they still work. But they still can't get used to the INPUT button for the television. If they fat finger the remote and change the input, they are at a loss.

The sound is very weak in many flat televisions. No problem, I bought a sound bar from radio shack for cheap. But it drives my parents crazy. Modern cable boxes and DVRs are designed to be left running all the time. If you turn off the TV and the sound bar is on, you can still hear the audio.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:56 AM

10,169 posts, read 10,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
When my Toshiba 32" tube TV died 18 months ago ago, I researched for a NON smart TV that was at least 48", was 1080, had 3 HDMI, 'ARC' for the A/V receiver, component, composite. They don't exist. If you want extra features, it will be a smart TV.

'ARC' (audio return channel) was only introduced in 2009 with the HDMI 1.4 standard.

The HDMI 1.4 specification adds support for extremely high video resolutions that go beyond 1080p systems. 4K is shorthand for 4,000 lines wide by 2,000 lines high, or roughly four times the resolution of a 1080p display. The term actually covers two formats, both supported in the HDMI 1.4 specification:
3840 pixels wide by 2160 pixels high
4096 pixels wide by 2160 pixels high

HDMI 1.4 also includes an Ethernet Channel

While not necessarily related to "smart features", I imagine you are correct that only Smart TVs would support HDMI 1.4.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 07-01-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 02:42 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
'ARC' (audio return channel) was only introduced in 2009 with the HDMI 1.4 standard.

HDMI 1.4 also includes an Ethernet Channel

While not necessarily related to "smart features", I imagine you are correct that only Smart TVs would support HDMI 1.4.
Manufacturers are free to implement any HDMI 1.4 features (ARC, HDMI ethernet, 4k support, etc) but they don't have to support them all.

HDMI-ARC is a feature that's unrelated to Smart TVs (as seen in the example I linked to above). You don't have to look hard to find dumb TVs that has ARC.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-...&skuId=4807900
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-32...&skuId=4862900
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...&skuId=4807511

Old 07-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When a Smart TV gets stupid, it has probably become infected by Operator Error.
In 2008, I Ibought a Sony TV with a separate box mounted on the back that made it into a Smart TV. It supported Netflix, Hulu+ and Sony's own streaming service. In 2010, Sony stopped providing updates for that device, meaning it would never be improved again or changed to work with changes imposed by Netflix or Hulu. In 2011, Sony closed down that incarnation of their branded streaming service, but the TV still had that option front and center.

My Smart TV had become awfully stupid, through no fault of my own. Eventually, I detached the outdated box from the TV and threw it away. The TV lasted a few more years, until it got taken out by a lightning strike.

Manufacturer End of Life (EOL) is the #1 reason to rely on set-top boxes, rather than Smart TV features. No manufacturer will support its devices forever. Eventually your TV's smart features will get EOLed by the manufacturer and you will need to move on to something better to watch the services that are available at that time.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:11 PM

6,854 posts, read 4,767,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And I have the high end Samsung. My Roku still beats it any day of the year on so many levels.
We have 2 Samsungs. One is 4 years old and the other is new. The Smart features on the new one are great. The Smart features on the old one don't work worth a darn. Every time we try it use it, it says it has to update and then it still doesn't work. Dumbest smart TV ever. We finally just added a Chromecast. Problem solved.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
have 2 Samsungs. One is 4 years old and the other is new. The Smart features on the new one are great. The Smart features on the old one don't work worth a darn. Every time we try it use it, it says it has to update and then it still doesn't work. Dumbest smart TV ever.
Have you tried performing a factory reset in the TV? If that doesn't fix the problem, then your manufacturer has stopped supporting the smart features from their end.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:18 PM

4,913 posts, read 2,508,232 times
Quote:
What's the point of Chromecast/Apple TV/Roku/etc etc when a new 2016 smart TV has all of the build-in apps and features of streaming/mirroring/etc?
whats the point of spending 1,000's on a new 60'' tv (to replace a perfectly functioning model) and having to hoist it from the store and move furniture around to mount it to the wall... when you can buy a $30 fire-stick and just plug in the back.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 07-02-2016 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or