U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 03:36 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,956,611 times

Advertisements

A Roku does not require a credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 03:40 PM

5,447 posts, read 4,270,078 times
Actually, Roku does ask you to put a payment type on file (aka Credit Card) when setting up your account. There are ways to bypass it. Same as with the Firestick.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:47 AM

"ways to bypass"... yea, like hitting "No thanks".

Roku hardly tries to force you into using a Credit Card and it isn't even a little difficult to set it up without one.

Just trying to clear up any misconceptions. Giving Roku (or Amazon for Fire Stick) credit card info greatly simplifies things if you choose to rent a movie or add a pay channel.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:29 AM

4,877 posts, read 2,497,770 times
maybe things changed recently but i was not able to browse the home menu of the streaming stick without giving roku my credit card number, cvv and expiration date:
https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/ar...-Roku-account-

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 07-13-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 11:08 AM

It's been awhile for me. I know it WAS easy to bypass. It still should be because that would certainly tick people off.

But I will admit I haven't set one up in a while. It could have changed.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:06 PM

5,447 posts, read 4,270,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"ways to bypass"... yea, like hitting "No thanks".

Roku hardly tries to force you into using a Credit Card and it isn't even a little difficult to set it up without one.

Just trying to clear up any misconceptions. Giving Roku (or Amazon for Fire Stick) credit card info greatly simplifies things if you choose to rent a movie or add a pay channel.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why you're fighting so hard for the Roku without any working knowledge of how a Firestick functions... I only chimed in because I have owned three Rokus, a Sony box, a Chromecast, and a Firestick (just ordered 2 more on Prime day for $25 yesterday) and have years of experience with them.

There is no misconception as far as credit card info goes. Roku asks for it just like every other company. The only one that didn't prompt me for a payment option was the Chromecast since it is "mainly" a mirroring device (and a poor one at that... mine currently resides in a junk drawer somewhere in the house).

As to which device works better between a Roku and Amazon, that's going to be opinion based on how you use it. Both will get you similar results, but the method of getting to those results is far different. But as far as functionality in my opinion the Firestick/firebox has the market at the moment.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:57 PM

I know how a Fire stick functions. I never talk about stuff when I have no clue about it. Just because I don't own one, doesn't mean I am clueless.

I prefer Roku. As if that wasn't clear. lol I'm not "fighting hard".
I just like to make everyone has all the facts, and I hate misconceptions.
Roku does NOT require a CC. Fact. Neither does Amazon. Fact.
Nowhere have I really even spoken ill of the Amazon streamer.
Stanley said "he doesn't have a credit card so not sure what he's going to do with it".
Watch Crackle, for one. The Horror channel. There are 1,000's of channels you don't need a credit card for.

Re Chromecast. The strength of that is the ability to stream things that do NOT have a Roku or Amazon app. Or an Apple TV app. A good example is the PlutoTV app. For some odd reason, the phone version has WAY more channels and better channels. So instead of using the Roku app, I use the Android one and stream to the CC.

I am a bit surprised how expensive the Roku 4K streamer is. $150, Roku? Eeek.

Roku is still leading the pack.
Forbes Welcome

They did have a head start, though.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Stanley said "he doesn't have a credit card so not sure what he's going to do with it".
Watch Crackle, for one. The Horror channel. There are 1,000's of channels you don't need a credit card for.
as stated before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
maybe things changed recently but i was not able to browse the home menu of the streaming stick without giving roku my credit card number, cvv and expiration date:
https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/ar...-Roku-account-
iirc, on the fire-tv i was at least able to grab the pbs app without credit card info.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:58 PM

You don't need a credit card with any PBS app. They give you full access for the cost of your email address (which is very cool). Not like some apps that require a TV provider login.
Someone just told me that a few weeks ago and I installed it. Sure enough "can we have your E-mai?"
Bam. Full access

Old 07-14-2016, 07:46 AM

^ how did you install pbs without getting to the rokus home menu ?

for about 30 minutes i was staring at:
Quote:
please go to roku.com/link

and type in l33t on your web-browser to proceed further
iirc, the web-site had 3 pages asking to register your name, username, email, password, ... info. the last page asked for credit card or paypal info and for the life of me, i couldnt figure out how to bypass that page.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 07-14-2016 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or