U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:35 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,968,972 times

Advertisements

http://help.pbs.org/support/solution...s-app-on-roku-

It does not ask ME for a Credit Card? Why on earth would PBS want a Credit Card from you? It's free if you create an account.
They don't charge you for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 AM

5,447 posts, read 4,275,120 times
The Apps don't ask for credit card info..... your user account for Roku does. You have to set up that user account before you can get to the apps.

From the Roku website:

"
You’ll be prompted to create a Roku account during guided setup. Your Roku player will provide a linking code that you’ll enter from any browser at my.roku.com/link. Alternatively, you can create an account here.
A Roku account is free, but we do prompt you to put a payment method on file for your convenience. Roku’s vast selection of channels and streaming options mean you certainly will find something that piques your interests, and the ability to rent & purchase directly from the TV immediately without having to update your account on a computer is a big plus. Once you have a valid payment method on file, you will only be charged if you choose to make a purchase.

You can use the following as payment methods:
  • Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card
  • Paypal"
https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/ar...a-Roku-account-

I need to correct myself on the FireTV. It requires you to register for an Amazon account. The credit card is optional unless you want Amazon Prime (I already have Prime, so my CC is on file) to get the rest of the content that Prime members get. If you don't want Prime, you can bypass registering for an account.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The Apps don't ask for credit card info..... your user account for Roku does. You have to set up that user account before you can get to the apps.
Ah. That makes more sense at least. I've had a CC on file with Roku so that's why the PBS app only asked my account info. The PBS app itself doesn't want the card info.
#ClearedUp

Old 07-14-2016, 01:30 PM

3,973 posts, read 2,619,480 times
I also use the PBS app on the Fire TV. No account or CC needed. The Fire TV itself needs to be logged in to an Amazon account and it does not have to be a prime account, only the email and password you would use for amazon.com. PBS is a free channel regardless so no activation is needed. It is treated like any other app you would download from google play or itunes store. There are other apps such as this like Pluto TV and Smithsonian. Apps like History Channel or NBC are free as well but when you run it it will ask you to activate using your provider login like Time Warner, DirectTV etc. There are many apps/games that are not free and in those cases it would use the credit card that you have on file with Amazon. There are also pay services like sling and showtime. I haven't paid anything extra yet. I dropped my dish network account to cut the cord and perfectly satisfied with Amazon prime and Netflix which I share with a family member.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:56 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,778,278 times
I'm late to the game but am about to cut the cable cord as well. I already have Prime and Netflix and just got an antenna for local channels (a refurbed Mohu for $10 that picked up 60 channels). I'm taking up SlingTV's deal (3 months prepaid service at $20/month for the cable channels I do watch) for a free Roku2 so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully, this would save me about $80/month.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:01 PM

I'm saving about $60 AND I am paying for Hulu, Amazon, Netflix AND HBO Go...
I will drop HBO after I finish GoT. lol

Old 07-15-2016, 02:57 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm saving about $60 AND I am paying for Hulu, Amazon, Netflix AND HBO Go...
I will drop HBO after I finish GoT. lol
Same plan I had. Mostly. Got HBO Now with a 30-day free trial to watch the first N-1 seasons of GoT, and then kept it long enough to watch the last one. May drop it now, or switch to HBO itself because the HBO Now application on the Roku is an unstable POS.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:47 AM

I haven't tried it on my older Roku 2, but it works fine on my 3.
Time to upgrade? Aha...there's a reason to not go Smart.
Of course even going Smart you could always ADD a Fire TV/ Roku/ Apple TV down the road.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:49 AM

5,447 posts, read 4,275,120 times
Absolutely can add them at any point in time. The question becomes, is the cost difference of buying a SMART tv worth it if you still intend to buy some sort of streaming device in the future? I guess it depends on the user, but for me the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. I prefer my TV to be just a TV. Adding more features are adding more chances of failure that would require replacement of the TV, whereas just buying a TV and adding a streaming gadget allows me to simply replace the gadget if it fails without harming the TV itself.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,482,067 times
My Sony TV has a lot less apps than my Roku. An example- my TV does not get the Sling TV app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or