Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:30 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You don't have to look hard to find dumb TVs that has ARC.
I stand corrected. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 02:12 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
For the record, for those saying TVs are inferior - I recently purchased a new 2016 LG smart TV. I have also owned a chromecast in the past couple years. The "smart" features on the LG is better than the chromecast, I'm thinking of just throwing it away
Chromecast is not really one of the better streaming devices...usually the streaming devices are better...good job by LG if they produced a better interface than Chromecast

Old 07-05-2016, 08:04 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Have you used a Chromecast? There really isn't an interface, per se. Not really. The interface is your phone.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:35 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is specifically about dialogue? Had the same problem with my Vizio, thought I was going deaf. Lot's of metal blasting through the Sony Walkman here too.

There is setting in the audio called SMS or something like that. I think it's for filtering out loud commercials. In any event it also made the dialogue very difficult to hear.
Yeah, I might need to go in the audio settings and see if that is turned on. Because, I am constantly having to turn it up during dialog, and then turning it down during music or "action" scenes. In the past, I didn't care, but when the bulk of your TV watching comes after you put the kid to bed in the evenings (who doesn't sleep well to begin with), then you kind of have to play the loudness game. I've even just turned on closed-captioning just so I could at least know what they're going to say.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:04 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
We have a smart TV and a Roku 3. I much prefer the Roku interface to the embedded aps on the TV. It's a whole different experience. I love the voice search feature on the Roku - especially as we are getting old and can't remember which app we watched that cool show on last week. All we have to do is ask the Roku and it finds it for us.

Not sure if the smart tv updates its app selection but that's another nice feature to the Roku - you can add new apps as they become available. I'm really interested in the Roku TV's - we bought our Vizio before Roku started producing some of the higher quality television sets. Since we tend to keep our tvs about 10 years though, I guess the actual Roku device is a cheaper alternative!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
For the record, for those saying TVs are inferior - I recently purchased a new 2016 LG smart TV. I have also owned a chromecast in the past couple years. The "smart" features on the LG is better than the chromecast, I'm thinking of just throwing it away
Without fail (and this is less of an issue since we moved up to 200mbps), my bluray player is much more reliable and fast with the internet/wifi despite being older.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I'm really interested in the Roku TV's - we bought our Vizio before Roku started producing some of the higher quality television sets.
Love my Roku TV!

Old 07-05-2016, 01:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Have you used a Chromecast? There really isn't an interface, per se. Not really. The interface is your phone.
Used it once but nowhere as familiar with it as I am with other devices...I know its not as good as Roku, Amazon Fire etc

Old 07-06-2016, 02:49 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
I'll hang on to my 8 year old Samsung plasma for as long as I can. The picture is excellent and sound quality is good enough until I reinstall my new surround sound.

Smart TVs aren't really that smart. They just can't keep up with the Rokus, Apple TVs, and Firesticks of the world. (I won't include the POS Chromecast I have).

If you want a streaming device, get a Firestick or Firebox. So much more versatile than any other offering right now. I sold all my Roku boxes when I got my Firestick. No point in buying a TV when that feature could be obsolete in 6 months. I went that route with Sony. Will not make that mistake twice.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:11 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
fire-tv > roku

also an htpc running kodi is good but last i tried the hulu, amazon, netflix addons were kinda' hacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics